Your brand of humor

caco_ethes
caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
What makes you laugh? What kinds of things appeal to you the most? What kind of humor are you not fond of?

I think identifying what makes me laugh is difficult but something I’m trying to understand better. I’d love to hear what kind of funny is your favorite!

Replies

• caco_ethes
    I’m not into slapstick typically, like especially if its pie-in-the-face style. But although the three stooges were classic slapstick, there were certain scenes i found absurdly funny. Like if they all try to go through a doorway simultaneously, or cram into a phone booth. That stuff puts me into fits of giggles. I don’t know why it’s so specific though
  • caco_ethes
    Here in mfp i love cross thread jokes, creatively ridiculous scenarios, and when people double down on a joke and it becomes their thing.
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    I always described my humor as "I'm a twelve year old boy." If a tween would giggle about it, so will I.
    Irl I'm dry humor.
    I don't prefer puns but I can appreciate them.. Sometimes.
  • caco_ethes
    I like self deprecation, but just a smidge. Too much and i start to believe it 😅

I’m not really into sexual jokes. They have their place and can be clever but almost never make me actually laugh
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Humor that doesn’t try too hard
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Subtle, smart, and dryyyyy. Not in-your-face.
    I've always liked British humor for that reason....Monty Python...anything with John Cleese, etc.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I like inside jokes the best.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I like humor like @pizzamyheart has where it's just so descriptive and creative, I can picture the ridiculousness and I have no idea where those ideas come from but they're always so good.

This is my favorite as well.
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    I love good slapstick, but more old Steve Martin, Bill Murray, Monty Python than Three Stooges. Also appalling shock value slapstick, like when somebody dies in a way that makes you bust out laughing even as you think "omg, that's so inappropriate."
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    When someone starts to explain something seriously but one part of the explanation is so ridiculous that you almost don’t know if they’re teasing. I have an example for this but i have to remember it

Remembered!

“Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words, "Mank" and "Ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.”
  • caco_ethes
    cee134 wrote: »

I don’t get it
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    There's a lot of humor I don't get at all. I am not sure how to describe my brand of humor but my favorites are the Christopher Guest mockumentaries, the British "Office", Catherine Tate Show, Ab Fab, Mr. Bean, etc. But I wouldn't say I'm really a true British comedy fan because I don't like or really get Monty Python.

Michael Ian Black is by far my favorite comedian. I like a lot of others, Amy Schumer, George Carlin, etc, but I feel like most of them get a little too dark for me at times.

Cross-thread gags and inside jokes here exhaust me trying to keep up so I don't try to follow. I don't like slapstick or any physical gag resulting in someone being hurt (fake or real). Like caco_ethes, I'm not really into sexual jokes because even when they're clever they just aren't super funny (to me)!
  • caco_ethes

I don’t get it

Most inside jokes originate from Star Wars. Therefore it's important to understand “The Origins of Star Wars”. Not so long ago in a galaxy a bit closer to home, George Lucas crafted one of the most iconic movies of all time. That movie was soon followed by a series of mind bending movies that captured the hearts and minds of generations up to this day. From light saber duels to the destructive power of the Death Star, Star Wars is one movie saga that we are all familiar with. But how did this captivating series come to be? How did it all begin? Just how did George Lucas come up with such brilliant ideas for Star Wars? What are the true origins of Star Wars? Not many people know that Star Wars isn’t the product of George Lucas’ own imagination.

From their philosophies to the way they do battle to the way the dress, the powerful Jedi Knights of the Star Wars galaxy have clear parallelisms with our galaxy’s Samurais. Examples of these parallelisms are the robes that the Jedi used are quite similar to the robes that the Samurai used, another one is the Japanese katana that the Samurais used in battle and the Light Saber that the Jedi used to keep the peace. George Lucas also borrowed ideas from other samurai movies such as Sanjuro and Yojimbo both by Akira Kurosawa. Apart from having Asian origins, Star Wars also has Western background. One of the earliest science fiction graphic novels known to man is Flash Gordon. It’s clear why George Lucas took some of Flash Gordon’s concepts and applied it with his own films. Flash Gordon however, also borrowed it’s concepts with an even earlier sci-fi comic strip: Buck Rogers. One of the clearest similarities between Star Wars and Flash Gordon is the signature “roll-up” that is present in the start of every Star Wars movie. One less noticeable similarity is the “vocabulary” of Flash Gordon (which was also taken from Buck Rogers and Meeseeks the thespian). Since Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were the only ones that mentioned of futuristic space travel and intergalactic battles, George Lucas based the vocabulary of Star Wars on these two science fiction works of his time. The technology and the gadgets of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were also of great influence.

This. This is my brand of humor

Confession: before i even knew anyone here i was reading one of your posts like this to my sisters while crying laughing. I don’t know what this is category wise but it is certainly your brand
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member

I don’t get it

Most inside jokes originate from Star Wars. Therefore it's important to understand “The Origins of Star Wars”. Not so long ago in a galaxy a bit closer to home, George Lucas crafted one of the most iconic movies of all time. That movie was soon followed by a series of mind bending movies that captured the hearts and minds of generations up to this day. From light saber duels to the destructive power of the Death Star, Star Wars is one movie saga that we are all familiar with. But how did this captivating series come to be? How did it all begin? Just how did George Lucas come up with such brilliant ideas for Star Wars? What are the true origins of Star Wars? Not many people know that Star Wars isn’t the product of George Lucas’ own imagination.

From their philosophies to the way they do battle to the way the dress, the powerful Jedi Knights of the Star Wars galaxy have clear parallelisms with our galaxy’s Samurais. Examples of these parallelisms are the robes that the Jedi used are quite similar to the robes that the Samurai used, another one is the Japanese katana that the Samurais used in battle and the Light Saber that the Jedi used to keep the peace. George Lucas also borrowed ideas from other samurai movies such as Sanjuro and Yojimbo both by Akira Kurosawa. Apart from having Asian origins, Star Wars also has Western background. One of the earliest science fiction graphic novels known to man is Flash Gordon. It’s clear why George Lucas took some of Flash Gordon’s concepts and applied it with his own films. Flash Gordon however, also borrowed it’s concepts with an even earlier sci-fi comic strip: Buck Rogers. One of the clearest similarities between Star Wars and Flash Gordon is the signature “roll-up” that is present in the start of every Star Wars movie. One less noticeable similarity is the “vocabulary” of Flash Gordon (which was also taken from Buck Rogers and Meeseeks the thespian). Since Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were the only ones that mentioned of futuristic space travel and intergalactic battles, George Lucas based the vocabulary of Star Wars on these two science fiction works of his time. The technology and the gadgets of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were also of great influence.

This. This is my brand of humor

Confession: before i even knew anyone here i was reading one of your posts like this to my sisters while crying laughing. I don’t know what this is category wise but it is certainly your brand

Agreed. The Venture Bros., Monty Python, the Amazing Jonathan and Arrested Development have all struck my funny bone extensively to try a definition of it.