seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    I like inside jokes the best.

I don’t get it

Most inside jokes originate from Star Wars. Therefore it's important to understand “The Origins of Star Wars”. Not so long ago in a galaxy a bit closer to home, George Lucas crafted one of the most iconic movies of all time. That movie was soon followed by a series of mind bending movies that captured the hearts and minds of generations up to this day. From light saber duels to the destructive power of the Death Star, Star Wars is one movie saga that we are all familiar with. But how did this captivating series come to be? How did it all begin? Just how did George Lucas come up with such brilliant ideas for Star Wars? What are the true origins of Star Wars? Not many people know that Star Wars isn’t the product of George Lucas’ own imagination.

From their philosophies to the way they do battle to the way the dress, the powerful Jedi Knights of the Star Wars galaxy have clear parallelisms with our galaxy’s Samurais. Examples of these parallelisms are the robes that the Jedi used are quite similar to the robes that the Samurai used, another one is the Japanese katana that the Samurais used in battle and the Light Saber that the Jedi used to keep the peace. George Lucas also borrowed ideas from other samurai movies such as Sanjuro and Yojimbo both by Akira Kurosawa. Apart from having Asian origins, Star Wars also has Western background. One of the earliest science fiction graphic novels known to man is Flash Gordon. It’s clear why George Lucas took some of Flash Gordon’s concepts and applied it with his own films. Flash Gordon however, also borrowed it’s concepts with an even earlier sci-fi comic strip: Buck Rogers. One of the clearest similarities between Star Wars and Flash Gordon is the signature “roll-up” that is present in the start of every Star Wars movie. One less noticeable similarity is the “vocabulary” of Flash Gordon (which was also taken from Buck Rogers and Meeseeks the thespian). Since Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were the only ones that mentioned of futuristic space travel and intergalactic battles, George Lucas based the vocabulary of Star Wars on these two science fiction works of his time. The technology and the gadgets of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were also of great influence.

This. This is my brand of humor

Confession: before i even knew anyone here i was reading one of your posts like this to my sisters while crying laughing. I don’t know what this is category wise but it is certainly your brand

I used to be adjunct English faculty at a small college and this was EXACTLY the sort of thing I received daily from students. I wish I'd saved some of it because you would get all the laughs.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Irreverent. Immature. Little deviant. I like a good your mom joke. especially If I make it.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I find parenting-is-hard jokes relatable and funny. One time i saw a comment on a post on Facebook where a woman told some story about her kids being jerks that day and then dryly said she’d “trade the younger one for a red bull and a twix. The snack size”

I don’t know what about it made me laugh so hard but that was years ago and it still gives me the giggles. The fact that she emphasized the size of twix maybe
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Irreverent. Immature. Little deviant. I like a good your mom joke. especially If I make it.

oh gosh this reminded me that I have a bit of "dad humor". Bad, bad "dad jokes" usually come from me.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    s131951 wrote: »

I don’t get it

Most inside jokes originate from Star Wars. Therefore it's important to understand “The Origins of Star Wars”. Not so long ago in a galaxy a bit closer to home, George Lucas crafted one of the most iconic movies of all time. That movie was soon followed by a series of mind bending movies that captured the hearts and minds of generations up to this day. From light saber duels to the destructive power of the Death Star, Star Wars is one movie saga that we are all familiar with. But how did this captivating series come to be? How did it all begin? Just how did George Lucas come up with such brilliant ideas for Star Wars? What are the true origins of Star Wars? Not many people know that Star Wars isn’t the product of George Lucas’ own imagination.

From their philosophies to the way they do battle to the way the dress, the powerful Jedi Knights of the Star Wars galaxy have clear parallelisms with our galaxy’s Samurais. Examples of these parallelisms are the robes that the Jedi used are quite similar to the robes that the Samurai used, another one is the Japanese katana that the Samurais used in battle and the Light Saber that the Jedi used to keep the peace. George Lucas also borrowed ideas from other samurai movies such as Sanjuro and Yojimbo both by Akira Kurosawa. Apart from having Asian origins, Star Wars also has Western background. One of the earliest science fiction graphic novels known to man is Flash Gordon. It’s clear why George Lucas took some of Flash Gordon’s concepts and applied it with his own films. Flash Gordon however, also borrowed it’s concepts with an even earlier sci-fi comic strip: Buck Rogers. One of the clearest similarities between Star Wars and Flash Gordon is the signature “roll-up” that is present in the start of every Star Wars movie. One less noticeable similarity is the “vocabulary” of Flash Gordon (which was also taken from Buck Rogers and Meeseeks the thespian). Since Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were the only ones that mentioned of futuristic space travel and intergalactic battles, George Lucas based the vocabulary of Star Wars on these two science fiction works of his time. The technology and the gadgets of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were also of great influence.

Confession: before i even knew anyone here i was reading one of your posts like this to my sisters while crying laughing. I don’t know what this is category wise but it is certainly your brand

Agreed. The Venture Bros., Monty Python, the Amazing Jonathan and Arrested Development have all struck my funny bone extensively to try a definition of it.

Arrested development is right on the very tippy edge of being too ridiculous. And sometimes is. But jason bateman is the king of quiet dismay
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    bad jokes are THE BEST jokes.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    First three seasons, the latter didn't hold my interest. I think it was that you had to pay attention throughout the seasons.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I don’t get it

I used to be adjunct English faculty at a small college and this was EXACTLY the sort of thing I received daily from students. I wish I'd saved some of it because you would get all the laughs.

The specific reason that it's funny from cee though is because its unsolicited overkill
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Also, Recyclops.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I liked @samtarlyonadiet 's inability to break character

I respected it and also wanted to browbeat him with no mercy
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options

yes!

also AB Fab & Arrested Development
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I respected it and also wanted to browbeat him with no mercy

He knew how to make a joke last entirely too long and that's hilarious to me :joy:

Yes, absolutely. Way after the credits rolled 😂 That dude could troll better than anyone
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    I have a very English sense of humor. Couple that with my social inabilities, and it can be hard for folks to know when I'm joking. Typically, after they know me for a few months, they start to get my humor.
  • Pandemonium_
    Pandemonium_ Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Irreverent for sure. George Carlin, Ron White, Absolutely Fabulous, The Young Ones, etc. I generally don't find jokes hugely funny, but prefer a funny story. I also enjoy some three stooges and the Little Rascals. Not sure how much of that is nostalgia and how much genuinely funny. Practical jokers is funny, mostly for the cringe worthy moments.
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Michael Ian Black is hilarious. Ron White. I grew up on Jim Carey. I think I have a soft spot for ridiculous humor because of him.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    What makes you laugh? What kinds of things appeal to you the most? What kind of humor are you not fond of?

I think identifying what makes me laugh is difficult but something I’m trying to understand better. I’d love to hear what kind of funny is your favorite!

Arson simply cracks me up.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dad Jokes.

So, how did Moses make coffee??

Hebrewed it.

.... I’ll be here all week.