How much weight is too much to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Any site/calculator telling you that being in the underweight BMI range is your optimal weight raises all sorts of red flags. I'm the same height as you and my maintenance range is 120lbs-122lbs. I can't imagine getting any lower than that. OP, have you talked to your doctor and asked them what they think a good weight range is for you?

This, especially since you said you already have struggles with weight and food and can't trust your own judgement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Any site/calculator telling you that being in the underweight BMI range is your optimal weight raises all sorts of red flags. I'm the same height as you and my maintenance range is 120lbs-122lbs. I can't imagine getting any lower than that. OP, have you talked to your doctor and asked them what they think a good weight range is for you?

Another vote for getting a reality check for your weight range from your doctor.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you put an erroneous BMI into a calculator there is a chance it used this information to incorrectly give you a lower than appropriate weight goal.

Also, unless you see your friends actually weigh they may not be reporting their actual results to you. Some people guess at what they weigh.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you put an erroneous BMI into a calculator there is a chance it used this information to incorrectly give you a lower than appropriate weight goal.

Also, unless you see your friends actually weigh they may not be reporting their actual results to you. Some people guess at what they weigh.

That's a generous interpretation.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    yoga105 wrote: »
    I’m trying a new online free program. I put in my stats and my measurements. (I weigh 128 pounds, I am 5’6.) And it says I should lose about 15 pounds. That would put me at 113 pounds. Is that too much to lose or okay? I’ve struggled w weight & food so I don’t always trust my idea of what’s bad or good. Is 112 healthy for my height? Some people say no but I also have friends my height who weigh less than that and are healthy.

You go by what’s healthy and what you like visually on yourself and what makes you happy. I learnt numbers aren’t everything, thought I wanted to be 115lbs but once I reached 124lbs, I’m obsessed with it. Straight fire.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    yoga105 wrote: »
    I’m trying a new online free program. I put in my stats and my measurements. (I weigh 128 pounds, I am 5’6.) And it says I should lose about 15 pounds. That would put me at 113 pounds. Is that too much to lose or okay? I’ve struggled w weight & food so I don’t always trust my idea of what’s bad or good. Is 112 healthy for my height? Some people say no but I also have friends my height who weigh less than that and are healthy.

You go by what’s healthy and what you like visually on yourself and what makes you happy. I learnt numbers aren’t everything, thought I wanted to be 115lbs but once I reached 124lbs, I’m obsessed with it. Straight fire.

OP's target weight is in the underweight range for their height.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I think it totally depends on the person. My weight was once almost 130 lbs which is a healthy weight but on my frame it looked heavy and I’ve also been 105 lbs which is too skinny. It also depends on lean muscle mass which others have said but my personal goal is to get up to 115 lbs with muscle. I don’t think I have much muscle but 115 is the lower limit for 5 ft 6 in terms of a ‘healthy’ bmi
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd still like to know where the weight recommendation came from.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

That's a generous interpretation.

I overshot then. I was intending it to be diplomatic not generous. :smile: