Intermittent fasting.

Options

Replies

• brendaathens
    brendaathens Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended an interesting book named The Obesity Code, which gives a rationale for IF. He claims it all has to do with insulin. If it works, I really don’t care what the rationale is!🙂 I’m on day 3 of 16/8, so far so good.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    So I am on day 5 and I’m actually loving it. It makes it much easier for me to stay within my calorie count!

Yay! You've got this!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I did 16:8 for years with my window from 2-10pm. I’ve never been a breakfast eater so it was easy for me to adjust to. I normally got hungry around 11-12 so I was just learning to wait a little longer to eat.

I stopped doing it when I started running before work a few days a week. I don’t eat before I run but am starving about an hour after and needed to fuel my recovery and body.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    So I am on day 5 and I’m actually loving it. It makes it much easier for me to stay within my calorie count!

Good stuff. I had the same experience and did 16/8 for five months. Everything about it was positive for me and I lost all the weight I had intended to lose. I found it an easy and pleasant way to diet, with very little hunger or cravings and exceptionally easy to stay within my calories while getting two filling, full sized meals every day. What's not to like? Keep up the good work!
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok...researching this now. Apparently it can also improve cholesterol profile. At least in rats:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324699669_Intermittent_fasting_decreases_oxidative_stress_parameters_in_Wistar_rats_Rattus_norvegicus

It happened to me. I've been on and off intermittent fasting for over 5 years. When I've been actively doing IF my cholesterol was so much lower, the first time I thought my results were mixed up with someone else's! The year before (2014) my total had been 233, 2015 it was 190. It hadn't been under 200 in 15 years. Bad (LDL) was 129 in 2014. 90 in 2015. Good was similar, my good (HDL) is always high, 88 in 2014, 91 in 2015. Triglycerides, 89 to 65.

So I thought it was a fluke.

I was not actively following in 2017, and my total was again over 200 - 220. In 2019 I was "on" again. Total, 197. Bad (LDL) went from 119 to 93. Good (HDL) was almost the same once again, 90 and 91. Triglycerides, 85 to 69.

So for me, I now know it isn't a fluke. I'm going to sincerely try to stay "on"!!

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Darcy0316 wrote: »
    Ok...researching this now. Apparently it can also improve cholesterol profile. At least in rats:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324699669_Intermittent_fasting_decreases_oxidative_stress_parameters_in_Wistar_rats_Rattus_norvegicus

It happened to me. I've been on and off intermittent fasting for over 5 years. When I've been actively doing IF my cholesterol was so much lower, the first time I thought my results were mixed up with someone else's! The year before (2014) my total had been 233, 2015 it was 190. It hadn't been under 200 in 15 years. Bad (LDL) was 129 in 2014. 90 in 2015. Good was similar, my good (HDL) is always high, 88 in 2014, 91 in 2015. Triglycerides, 89 to 65.

I was not actively following in 2017, and my total was again over 200 - 220. In 2019 I was "on" again. Total, 197. Bad (LDL) went from 119 to 93. Good (HDL) was almost the same once again, 90 and 91. Triglycerides, 85 to 69.

So for me, I now know it isn't a fluke. I'm going to sincerely try to stay "on"!!

Curious to know how much your weight also fluctuated between when you were IF-ing and when you weren't. Did you lose weight while Intermittent Fasting and then gain it back when you stopped?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol has gone up but I believe it is from my fat loss. Apparently that happens to some people. Skipping breakfast and mostly skipping dinner has not benefited my results.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My cholesterol has gone up but I believe it is from my fat loss. Apparently that happens to some people. Skipping breakfast and mostly skipping dinner has not benefited my results.

My experience with this is that unless I am weight-stable at the time of the blood draw, my trigs are completely unpredictable (and usually high)... my Dr and I discussed this at my last appt and we came to the conclusion that when I am losing weight, my body is mobilizing more fat so there would be more trigs in my blood. We are going to try a test for the next blood draw where I eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before the draw and see what happens with the results.
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Curious to know how much your weight also fluctuated between when you were IF-ing and when you weren't. Did you lose weight while Intermittent Fasting and then gain it back when you stopped?

I’m still new to this, but as long as you’re staying within your calories, I don’t see why there would be a weight gain even if you weren’t intermittent fasting.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

I’m still new to this, but as long as you’re staying within your calories, I don’t see why there would be a weight gain even if you weren’t intermittent fasting.

I guess that's really my question to her. Was her weight constant throughout or did it increase when she wasn't doing IF, simply because she was eating over a longer period of time each day? Because, yes, weight management is solely a matter of calories consumed vs calories burned. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

My experience with this is that unless I am weight-stable at the time of the blood draw, my trigs are completely unpredictable (and usually high)... my Dr and I discussed this at my last appt and we came to the conclusion that when I am losing weight, my body is mobilizing more fat so there would be more trigs in my blood. We are going to try a test for the next blood draw where I eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before the draw and see what happens with the results.

From what I have read being weight stable is the "cure". I also wonder if being in a smaller deficit will work when I get closer to whatever my goal is. Right now I am on a statin so it is being controlled until I can test these theories.

Just out of curiosity is your testosterone checked regularly? Mine has greatly increased since starting weight loss. I imagine it will also normalize down to a low level (for my age) when I get weight stable.

It is pretty amazing what weight loss does to our physiology.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended an interesting book named The Obesity Code, which gives a rationale for IF. He claims it all has to do with insulin. If it works, I really don’t care what the rationale is!🙂 I’m on day 3 of 16/8, so far so good.

That's Fung's book. Fung is a quack. He claims IF and low protein force the body to eat its own skin so that none of his patients ever have loose skin. He's mocked obesity researchers on twitter for being overweight.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

From what I have read being weight stable is the "cure". I also wonder if being in a smaller deficit will work when I get closer to whatever my goal is. Right now I am on a statin so it is being controlled until I can test these theories.

Just out of curiosity is your testosterone checked regularly? Mine has greatly increased since starting weight loss. I imagine it will also normalize down to a low level (for my age) when I get weight stable.

It is pretty amazing what weight loss does to our physiology.

None of the tests that the Dr has requested has included testosterone... I am now curious and will request that it be included in the next round of tests.