Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My cholesterol has gone up but I believe it is from my fat loss. Apparently that happens to some people. Skipping breakfast and mostly skipping dinner has not benefited my results.

My experience with this is that unless I am weight-stable at the time of the blood draw, my trigs are completely unpredictable (and usually high)... my Dr and I discussed this at my last appt and we came to the conclusion that when I am losing weight, my body is mobilizing more fat so there would be more trigs in my blood. We are going to try a test for the next blood draw where I eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before the draw and see what happens with the results.

From what I have read being weight stable is the "cure". I also wonder if being in a smaller deficit will work when I get closer to whatever my goal is. Right now I am on a statin so it is being controlled until I can test these theories.

Just out of curiosity is your testosterone checked regularly? Mine has greatly increased since starting weight loss. I imagine it will also normalize down to a low level (for my age) when I get weight stable.

It is pretty amazing what weight loss does to our physiology.

None of the tests that the Dr has requested has included testosterone... I am now curious and will request that it be included in the next round of tests.

I would not have ever thought to have it checked. My doctor is just crazy thorough. He loves that I do not eat breakfast because my appointments with him are usually mid morning and I am always fasted if he thinks of some other blood test he wants to run.
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Curious to know how much your weight also fluctuated between when you were IF-ing and when you weren't. Did you lose weight while Intermittent Fasting and then gain it back when you stopped?

My weight never fluctuates more than 8 lbs or so (120 or so to 128), for years. Was I at lower ends of the range when the results were so much better? I'm not sure about 2015, but I am at the lower end now in 2019, but even the higher end is in a healthy weight range, although not where I like to be. When I'm not doing IF my weight does creep up, but never more than that 8 lbs or so, and then I do something to lose it. IF is great for maintenance but I don't lose with it, I have to track calories to lose.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended an interesting book named The Obesity Code, which gives a rationale for IF. He claims it all has to do with insulin. If it works, I really don’t care what the rationale is!🙂 I’m on day 3 of 16/8, so far so good.

That's Fung's book. Fung is a quack. He claims IF and low protein force the body to eat its own skin so that none of his patients ever have loose skin. He's mocked obesity researchers on twitter for being overweight.

I think this is dumb whoever does it, but it seems ironic that the low carber gurus (in whose camp Fung is) are on average much heavier than the high carber gurus. (I favor neither.)
  • drcaroly
    drcaroly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your comments have all been so amazing and helpful! I've really needed this community! I only started IF a week ago, so I'm still learning. Each week, I've done a one full-day fast as well as 18-6 the other days, and I've learned a lot about myself. As I read your comments, it occurred to me that my two biggest eating issues are my "inner voice" telling me I'm entitled to eat whatever, and my cardiologist saying that since I work out frequently, he's ok with my weight. With IF, my denial of reality has been shattered, and I'm not afraid. LGFRIE said it "kind of liberates you from being a prisoner..." Thanks to you all!!!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    You'll get over the hunger when you feel it. Just remember that it's mostly the HABIT of eating at certain times that will be the most difficult to resist. I've been OMADing again for 3? weeks now and while it's gotten easier, I still find my stomach grumbling at it's usual eat times. Early morning and lunch.
    It gets easier.

Be flexible!! If you're feeling like you want to eat breakfast or if you have a meet up with friends/family or something... it's OK to not IF lol. SO many people think they MUST stay strict. MUST not cheat at all.
    IF aint going anywhere. It will be there tomorrow and the day after that.