Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Please help with this argument- Intermittent fasting related

11112131416

Replies

  • mmapagsmmapags Posts: 8,282Member Member Posts: 8,282Member Member
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 5,995Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,995Member, Premium Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.

    His proof seems to be that because we don't all have the same color hair that IF will activate an otherwise dormant superhuman aspect of his genetics.
  • fitnessguy266fitnessguy266 Posts: 38Member Member Posts: 38Member Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You have repeatedly claimed IF gives metabolic advantages without once providing any sort of proof outside of your n=1. If that isn't disputing science, then I don't know what is. When you get called out on it, instead of offering proof, you offer more n=1 arguments, then you say you don't want to debate and backpedal. You know what is proven, and true 100% of the time? CICO.

    Proof for what exactly? A vast majority of you have provided research material, articles, and links on IF that would give us all a Harvard education on the subject. At this point in the thread, everyone is aware that IF is one of many dieting strategies to control caloric intake in an effort to lose weight.

    However, no one has taken into account, or even acknowledged, that weight loss and fat loss although tied, are VERY different result wise over a period of time. When does OPTIMIZED fat loss occur? When insulin has reached baseline levels due to glucose depletion, the amount of fat being mobilized contingent upon period of time stores has been depleted. One can argue, and rightfully so, that the same can be achieved through a low carb, or Keto diet. But what about.....never mind.
  • fitnessguy266fitnessguy266 Posts: 38Member Member Posts: 38Member Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.

    His proof seems to be that because we don't all have the same color hair that IF will activate an otherwise dormant superhuman aspect of his genetics.

    Pretty good attempt at humor my friend, but you really can't be oblivious to the fact that results can be highly individualized based upon genetic design.........right? I hope not......
  • fitnessguy266fitnessguy266 Posts: 38Member Member Posts: 38Member Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.

    See above response, you all have done well providing this thread with research and articles giving further insight to the matter....I have provided personal experience quantified over a period of time using different diets, and that was my intent. You can make your own determination of what's best for you through trials of your own, based on your own research, and what you consider the most sustainable.
  • fitnessguy266fitnessguy266 Posts: 38Member Member Posts: 38Member Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.

    His proof seems to be that because we don't all have the same color hair that IF will activate an otherwise dormant superhuman aspect of his genetics.

    Pretty good attempt at humor my friend, but you really can't be oblivious to the fact that results can be highly individualized based upon genetic design.........right? I hope not......

    Highly individualized would not in any way shape or form account for 6 pounds in 6 weeks. You really don't get that?

    Dude....it's 6 pounds in 6 weeks....do we need to revisit the basic fundamentals of weight loss? How is that so difficult to ascertain? I'm truly at a loss here....please elaborate further or rephrase your question please.
  • mmapagsmmapags Posts: 8,282Member Member Posts: 8,282Member Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You have repeatedly claimed IF gives metabolic advantages without once providing any sort of proof outside of your n=1. If that isn't disputing science, then I don't know what is. When you get called out on it, instead of offering proof, you offer more n=1 arguments, then you say you don't want to debate and backpedal. You know what is proven, and true 100% of the time? CICO.

    Proof for what exactly? A vast majority of you have provided research material, articles, and links on IF that would give us all a Harvard education on the subject. At this point in the thread, everyone is aware that IF is one of many dieting strategies to control caloric intake in an effort to lose weight.

    However, no one has taken into account, or even acknowledged, that weight loss and fat loss although tied, are VERY different result wise over a period of time. When does OPTIMIZED fat loss occur? When insulin has reached baseline levels due to glucose depletion, the amount of fat being mobilized contingent upon period of time stores has been depleted. One can argue, and rightfully so, that the same can be achieved through a low carb, or Keto diet. But what about.....never mind.

    So what exactly are you debating in this debate thread. That results are individual. While that is true, it is within a narrow range of variability and nothing like what you have claimed from your personal experiences.

    No matter what you want to believe, physiology, is still physiology, biology is still biology and physics are still physics. So, once again, why are you in a debate thread? All you seem to want to do is repeated stated your personal experience that seems to defy science. Ok, good for you. Believe what you like. There is nothing to debate about subjective belief, however erroneous it might be for all the reasons that have been pointed out.
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 5,995Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,995Member, Premium Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.

    His proof seems to be that because we don't all have the same color hair that IF will activate an otherwise dormant superhuman aspect of his genetics.

    Pretty good attempt at humor my friend, but you really can't be oblivious to the fact that results can be highly individualized based upon genetic design.........right? I hope not......

    Highly individualized would not in any way shape or form account for 6 pounds in 6 weeks. You really don't get that?

    Dude....it's 6 pounds in 6 weeks....do we need to revisit the basic fundamentals of weight loss? How is that so difficult to ascertain? I'm truly at a loss here....please elaborate further or rephrase your question please.

    Right. The fundamentals of weight loss state that weight is lost at ~3500 calorie per pound. What you have said is that all things being equal that IF gave you the results after the same calorie and training regimen failed to do so in 6 week segments before it.



    edited November 22
  • J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 5,339Member Member Posts: 5,339Member Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You seem to be certain of a lot of things but have proof for very little.

    His proof seems to be that because we don't all have the same color hair that IF will activate an otherwise dormant superhuman aspect of his genetics.

    Pretty good attempt at humor my friend, but you really can't be oblivious to the fact that results can be highly individualized based upon genetic design.........right? I hope not......

    Highly individualized would not in any way shape or form account for 6 pounds in 6 weeks. You really don't get that?

    Dude....it's 6 pounds in 6 weeks....do we need to revisit the basic fundamentals of weight loss? How is that so difficult to ascertain? I'm truly at a loss here....please elaborate further or rephrase your question please.

    Right. The fundamentals of weight loss state that weight is lost at ~3500 calorie per pound. What you have said is that all things being equal that IF gave you the results after the same calorie and training regimen failed to do so in 6 week segments before it.

    This is the point, you are claiming a 6lbs in 6 weeks loss due to IF in and of itself...
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 5,995Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,995Member, Premium Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Well, I am certain they do, hence the appearance in the show. Listen....no one here is disputing the "science" behind the IF process, however, what is being debunked is it how the supposed "controlled studies" are a one size fits all outcome for every human being on the planet. The studies provide a "baseline" for a constant, not what will occur 100% of the time....

    You have repeatedly claimed IF gives metabolic advantages without once providing any sort of proof outside of your n=1. If that isn't disputing science, then I don't know what is. When you get called out on it, instead of offering proof, you offer more n=1 arguments, then you say you don't want to debate and backpedal. You know what is proven, and true 100% of the time? CICO.

    Proof for what exactly? A vast majority of you have provided research material, articles, and links on IF that would give us all a Harvard education on the subject. At this point in the thread, everyone is aware that IF is one of many dieting strategies to control caloric intake in an effort to lose weight.

    However, no one has taken into account, or even acknowledged, that weight loss and fat loss although tied, are VERY different result wise over a period of time. When does OPTIMIZED fat loss occur? When insulin has reached baseline levels due to glucose depletion, the amount of fat being mobilized contingent upon period of time stores has been depleted. One can argue, and rightfully so, that the same can be achieved through a low carb, or Keto diet. But what about.....never mind.

    So what exactly are you debating in this debate thread. That results are individual. While that is true, it is within a narrow range of variability and nothing like what you have claimed from your personal experiences.

    No matter what you want to believe, physiology, is still physiology, biology is still biology and physics are still physics. So, once again, why are you in a debate thread? All you seem to want to do is repeated stated your personal experience that seems to defy science. Ok, good for you. Believe what you like. There is nothing to debate about subjective belief, however erroneous it might be for all the reasons that have been pointed out.

    And you know it is subjective belief based on how it is presented. If I suddenly lost 6 pounds in 6 weeks doing IF while believing that my variables had all stayed the same I would present it as an anomalous result. I would not steadfastly state that my result was proof of something. The less willing that a person is willing to accept that their interpretation of the results could be wrong the more they prove they are biased and so was their conclusion.

    My field requires a lot of data analysis and I the first thing I do even when I get an expected result is assume it is wrong. I check and recheck everything that led up to the result before I present it to my client.
  • michaelsvancemichaelsvance Posts: 16Member Member Posts: 16Member Member
    According to research, there has been some really good benefits to IF. Yes, it is a way to restrict calories without necessarily counting them, but it has also been proven to help with blood pressure, blood sugar, and your overall digestive health, because you are extending your time without food, it gives the digestive system extra time to clear everything out and process everything. You feel less bloated (at least I do) you have more normal bowel movements and it helps regulate hunger because we all know that we are creatures of habit, so times feeding like IF helps teach your brain when to increase Ghrelin, the hunger hormone. You can combine it with Keto, low carb, low fat, Paleo, Mediterranean, DASH, or any other diet because essentially IF isn't a diet. It only controls when you eat, not what you eat. Hope that info helps some.
  • magnusthenerdmagnusthenerd Posts: 867Member Member Posts: 867Member Member
    According to research, there has been some really good benefits to IF. Yes, it is a way to restrict calories without necessarily counting them, but it has also been proven to help with blood pressure, blood sugar, and your overall digestive health, because you are extending your time without food, it gives the digestive system extra time to clear everything out and process everything. You feel less bloated (at least I do) you have more normal bowel movements and it helps regulate hunger because we all know that we are creatures of habit, so times feeding like IF helps teach your brain when to increase Ghrelin, the hunger hormone. You can combine it with Keto, low carb, low fat, Paleo, Mediterranean, DASH, or any other diet because essentially IF isn't a diet. It only controls when you eat, not what you eat. Hope that info helps some.

    I believe the propose benefits have already been discussed. The blood pressure should be an artifact of weight loss that doesn't hold up statistically.
    As far as blood sugar, it is also possible that it is not IF but the feeding windows typically used - and that's something I heard pointed out by an IF researcher. She noted that most IF involves skipping breakfast which means you're not getting as early an effect of food driving down the cortisol rise that usually happens in the morning.
Sign In or Register to comment.