Guys opinion: Girls who don't drink

Options
amyotte1992
amyotte1992 Posts: 39 Member
I am a 21 year old female who does not drink alcohol, none. I drank from age 16 to 20 and I feel like it's just unnecessary for my goals and ambitions. Being my age, nobody understand why I won't have just one or two drinks. It gets very irritating, feeling like I'm a nutcase for drinking a diet pop when I'm out with friends, but I can fit in well with the drunk crowd and nobody can even tell I'm sober.
My question is: How do guys see a confident, beautiful woman who chooses not to drink when it comes to dating and relationships? The answer to this isn't going to change my decision but it's just hard for me to understand why it's so sociably unacceptable to "not" drink?

Replies

• liormintz
    liormintz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I prefer women who don't drink
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Find new friends.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I respect your commit. I had to quit for a while to regain control.

cheaper to date, harder to smash
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking for 5 years and ran into the same issues. There was a lot of pressure and ribbing to drink, but I just laughed it off and had fun anyway.

As far as dating, some guys might get the impression that you are a stick in the mud and pass over you, but these are usually guys that either are not worth it anyway or guys that just enjoy a different lifestyle than you (making you likely incompatible).
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I prefer women who don't drink
    This
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Find new friends who don't drink and are living a healthier lifestyle such as yourself.

ooops sorry just realized it says guys opinion...my bad.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Drinking doesn't really matter as long as she can control it. But if she gets plastered and starts acting like a dumbass, then... no.
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    I am 33 now and I know how you feel. I actually never drank and people always looked at me like I was from a different planet. It is nice to see responses from guys that do not all think women who don't drink are strange aliens.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I don't drink, but I don't drink much. I never have. I get the people giving me a hard time about it, but usually those are people who have a drinking problem themselves and I think they feel better about themselves if everyone around them is also drinking. That's on them. There is nothing about alcohol that makes anyone a better person in any way. If someone needs it to have fun or to be comfortable, that person needs to reevaluate his or her life.

I'm not a teetotaler and I have a drink every once in a while. I even get drunk maybe once a year. :-) But if I could never have alcohol again, I'd be OK with that. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore your friends.

As for guys, I haven't been single much, so it doesn't seem to be an issue.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    How the hell am I suppose to score with a chick who doesn't drink? Its serious frustrating!
  • taunto
    Options
    On a serious note, there will ALWAYS be *kitten* guys (and girls) who will try and be like "you need to relax. You need a drink" blah blah blah. Whatever. Decent guys don't care if you drink or not. If a guy (or girl) is trying to pressure you by not taking your first "I don't drink" seriously and keeps pushing alcohol at you, its time to lose the looser and find better friends or mate.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, there will ALWAYS be *kitten* guys (and girls) who will try and be like "you need to relax. You need a drink" blah blah blah. Whatever. Decent guys don't care if you drink or not. If a guy (or girl) is trying to pressure you by not taking your first "I don't drink" seriously and keeps pushing alcohol at you, its time to lose the looser and find better friends or mate.

This!

If they want to grief you about anything period, then they probably aren't worth your time!
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It probably depends a bit on your social circle. If you were hanging out with church goers all of the time, this would probably be ok . . . As for me, well, I have no philosophical position on the matter, other than maybe "everything in moderation" (which itself should also be taken in moderation).
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not understand why you would want to hang out with drunk people while sober.

Find friends who don't drink, or know how to drink in moderation, and who won't give you grief about not drinking.

As for me, I drink in moderation. It wasn't always that way, and I only wish I had learned to cool it years ago. So, yes, I respect your decision. :flowerforyou:

edit: typo
  • rml_16
    Options
    I honestly do not understand why you would want to hang out with drunk people while sober.

It can be amusing. :-)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No problem as long when we're out I don't hear bs from you when I drink.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agreed 100% There are just as many people out there you can be friends with that don't drink and still have a good time out.... I drink in moderation and normal it is a one beer minimum and I respect anyone and their beliefs not too... Best of Luck
  • taunto
    Options

Find friends who don't drink, or know how to drink in moderation, and who won't give you grief about not drinking.

As for me, I drink in moderation. It wasn't always that way, and I only wish I had learned to cool it years ago. So, yes, I respect your decision. :flowerforyou:

I used to hang with my friends at the bar while I didn't drink. It was perfectly fine and they couldn't care less. I enjoyed the company and the atmosphere (and the delicious coffee!!!!). As long as the company you have isn't making a big deal about it (which, it isn't) then no reason not to hang out with drunk people. Heck, you can even help them out by offering to drive them home!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Maturity changes a lot of that behavior. It seems that people who have nothing to offer while sober drink. If your friends won't accept you for you and your choices in life, find friends who will. Never change who you are for the pleasure of someone else.

In short, haters gonna hate.
  • rml_16
    Options

I used to hang with my friends at the bar while I didn't drink. It was perfectly fine and they couldn't care less. I enjoyed the company and the atmosphere (and the delicious coffee!!!!). As long as the company you have isn't making a big deal about it (which, it isn't) then no reason not to hang out with drunk people. Heck, you can even help them out by offering to drive them home!
    All of this.

I had dinner with friends last Friday. Two of us had wine, two didn't. No one bugged anyone about it either way and it was pleasant. It's the alcoholics who tend to get annoying about it and bug you when you don't drink. The people who are able to take it or leave it don't usually say anything even when they take it.

I don't personally care if anyone else drinks around me, even when I don't. I HATE IT when people get on my case when I choose not to. It's obnoxious and they deserve a smack in the face. Not that I've ever done that, though.