Guys opinion: Girls who don't drink

Options

Replies

• Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i would assume they are pretty boring. its one thing if they dont feel the need to get drunk but if they cant enjoy a great wine with dinner...

I know right! I said the same thing in that AA meeting and they looked at me like I was an ahole!

AA ( assuming you were serious about attending ) has some interesting ideas.
    While I believe it's true that some people can't control themselves to have just one drink, many can.
    My drinking was out of control as a teenager and young adult.
    How I didn't get a DUI or kill someone is only by the grace of God.
    I quit completely for six years when I was pregnant and my kids were little.
    Now I can literally have one drink or even a sip of hubby's beer and walk away.
    I can go for months with no alcohol.
    I can take it or leave it.
    My point is that AA gives alcohol all the power and control.
    Not for me.
    I'm not going to be afraid of a drink because I'm in control.

But OP, I think the best guys and friends would be the ones who consider your intellect and wit more important than your consumption abilities :smile:

Edit: for stupid typos from auto-correct :grumble:

So because you have enough self control to not need AA, AA is wrong, "has some interesting ideas . . . [and] gives alcohol all the power and control?"

I find some personalities quite fascinating.

See the italicized phrase in my own quoted post above. ^^
    Not wrong for those who are at a point in their lives where they are addicted and are controlled by alcohol.
    I don't agree with the AA absolute "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic".
    I believe people can overcome their alcohol addiction and be free to enjoy an occasional drink, because they have regained control of their lives and alcohol no longer has the power and control over them.
    Edit: to clarify, they no longer allow alcohol to control them or have power over them.

I am thinking you are unfamiliar what a true alcoholic actually is. It is not someone who goes out and gets drunk often or who drinks a lot. People who truly are alcoholics can, while sober, be in complete control over their lives and once they have even one drink, it can and does set off uncontrolled drinking again starting where they left off when they stopped. I am not a believer in some of AA's ideas but keep in mind, it was not established by a bunch of people in an office who are clueless like many businesses, it was started and has been maintained by people who have been there.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I often don't drink much and certainly don't regularly.
    Still drink a lot occasionally.
    Don't see it as a particular negative in others.
    However if you tell people "I feel like it's just unnecessary for my goals and ambitions.", it is going to sound a tad formal, as if you don't get the concept of 'fun'.
    I've got friends that don't drink because they know they get bad and I can respect that.
    However, if you do enjoy drinking and purely don't drink because it doesn't meet (what I assume to be) long term goals and ambitions, it's certainly going to sound a bit weird!

If I'm having a drink it's for short term entertainment :).

Oh and someone else to be the 'designated' driver can't be bad :P.... also not having to deal with the puking, or worse the "I love x" where x happens to be whatever their eyes rest on :).
  • beckhole69
    beckhole69 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to drink heavily in my early 20s. Then one day I decided I didn't want to drink anymore. My friends would get annoyed. But I like a clear head :) If I was out to dinner and they had an interesting wine to try I would have a glass. But otherwise I can't be bothered drinking at all.
  • beckhole69
    Options
    Oh yeah and I LOVE sober sex so it hasn't impacted my picking up of men
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    i would assume they are pretty boring. its one thing if they dont feel the need to get drunk but if they cant enjoy a great wine with dinner...

I know right! I said the same thing in that AA meeting and they looked at me like I was an ahole!

While I believe it's true that some people can't control themselves to have just one drink, many can.
    Not for me.

But OP, I think the best guys and friends would be the ones who consider your intellect and wit more important than your consumption abilities :smile:

So because you have enough self control to not need AA, AA is wrong, "has some interesting ideas . . . [and] gives alcohol all the power and control?"

Not wrong for those who are at a point in their lives where they are addicted and are controlled by alcohol.
    I believe people can overcome their alcohol addiction and be free to enjoy an occasional drink, because they have regained control of their lives and alcohol no longer has the power and control over them.
    Edit: to clarify, they no longer allow alcohol to control them or have power over them.

I am thinking you are unfamiliar what a true alcoholic actually is. It is not someone who goes out and gets drunk often or who drinks a lot. People who truly are alcoholics can, while sober, be in complete control over their lives and once they have even one drink, it can and does set off uncontrolled drinking again starting where they left off when they stopped. I am not a believer in some of AA's ideas but keep in mind, it was not established by a bunch of people in an office who are clueless like many businesses, it was started and has been maintained by people who have been there.

^ I think this is right. I've known heavy drinkers and I've known alcoholics and they are not the same. I've been a heavy drinker but when I got sick of it, like you, I slowed way down, and now I just consume in moderation. I don't like being intoxicated or the feeling of losing control. I was never an alcoholic and was well aware of it even when I was drinking.

On the other hand, I've known several alcoholics, and the risk for them of having just one drink or even a taste is (was) real, and even decades after quitting they have/had cravings. AA is run by alcoholics to help other alcoholics and it has done an enormous amount of good. I wouldn't be so quick to judge just because you are not an alcoholic.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My question is: How do guys see a confident, beautiful woman who chooses not to drink when it comes to dating and relationships? The answer to this isn't going to change my decision but it's just hard for me to understand why it's so sociably unacceptable to "not" drink?

My answer: Perfect!

As a fellow non-drinker, I can tell you that as you get a little older and your social circle changes, you'll find more of your friends will be (or become) non-drinkers. Pretty soon your current group of friends will begin to envy your health and may even emulate your example.
    Following the death of an older sibling in 2002 due to an alcohol-induced accident, I haven't touched alcohol since and I have to say that I don't miss it.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You will be much happier in life when you stop trying to impress others. Make choices that make YOU happy. The Past and Future are just mere thoughts. Live in the present moment because that's the only thing you can control.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You will be much happier in life when you stop trying to impress others. Make choices that make YOU happy. The Past and Future are just mere thoughts. Live in the present moment because that's the only thing you can control.

Sage words Dr. Chest Rockwell.
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    I'm sober as a ****ing bird, I still go out to bars and have fun with friends and don't exclude myself from activities where there is alcohol. Whether a girl drinks or not I don't care. If she does, but can't handle herself, huge turnoff to the slop show. You have to be comfortable in your own skin wherever you are, if people hate then why would you want to be around them anyways?
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Any guy that can't accept your choice isn't worth squat.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I respect your commit. I had to quit for a while to regain control.

cheaper to date, harder to smash

Hahaha! You got that right! lol I've been sober for 13 years, and it never seemed to bother guys that I don't drink. That being said, I tend to attract all the raging still active alcoholics lol. People look at me funny when I tell them I don't drink and I'm 41! lol Find new friends, girl!
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent :)
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I never drank as a teen, and when I turned 21 this year, I insisted that I won't drink alcohol at all. Yet I feel this world puts so much pressure on me to drink and whatnot, and if I don't drink I'm automatically designated as the sober driver. I've really come to hate parties, even family gatherings where they abuse my position and make me their personal taxi driver, (they all drink heavily, and my level of hate for alcohol rises all the more when I see them acting so stupidly.)

I feel somewhat isolated because of it and really wished I had friends and family that didn't drink.
  • veg_runner
    veg_runner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Girls who can take care of themselves right meaning non-smoker, non druggie, non drinker, fitness oriented, and for me a healthy vegan, are always the most attractive. So if a guy wants you to drink or can't respect your decision to not, I'd say ditch him in heartbeat. Much better guys out there.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I only have wine ever so often. The most I have all week in Church.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't drank in three and a half years and I can tell u anyone who has a problem with a girl who doesn't drink either a..) only wants one thing. or b,) has an alcohol problem themselves
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yes, that too! Sex is much more pleasurable sober for me. I can feel more, be more coordinated/acrobatic, sexy, and not tired.
  • beckhole69
    Options

Yes, that too! Sex is much more pleasurable sober for me. I can feel more, be more coordinated/acrobatic, sexy, and not tired.

Yes! Much more memorable and multiple. Not like a drunken get it done and go to sleep lol
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Any guy that can't accept your choice isn't worth squat.

This is absolutely correct !
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Not for me.

Susie, "Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic" means once our brains are exposed to the toxin a switch -so to speak- is turned on and our brain craves that toxin, it might not be that same day, it could be a week or a month pass by, the strong urge will be there, so it is true for a true alcoholic

I gained control of my life, not because of AA per say, but rather a decision I made to change my life.
    PPl that do not drink for a long time can can certainly thank AA if that's what they chose to sort out what their "ism's" were but AA is not a cure. Staying abstinent is sorta of a cure, but all the issues that led to a person being an alcoholic, if gone untreated can still cause a person to no control of there lives, that's where the saying "dry drunk" comes from

OP...I do not drink and its difficult at your age to not drink and avoid the pressure from friends, look into some community activities that are alcohol free different organizations, volunteer activities, there are usually more ppl your age in that life style.

Also I havnt noticed much difference w/men and dating, they don't mind I don't drink