Guys opinion: Girls who don't drink

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In her single years, my sister, who didn't like alcohol, always claimed dibs on being the designated driver and made the rest of the gang buy her colas. That way, she was in on the fun in a different way. If they jabbed her about not drinking she'd just tease them back about who was gonna get them home safely. Worked for her.

Sadly, I over drank. I've just told people for the last ever many years that I drank enough in my younger years to last a lifetime. Most folks accept this and let it go.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I don't drink and I'm going to let the cat out of the bag but those "friends" of yours that are giving you a hard time are most likely alcoholics or future ones that don't like your clean way of life because you might notice how heavy they drink or how stupid they look or be aware to see the poor decisions they make while intoxicated. Someone said it best: find new friends. Only alcoholics notice those kinds of things. People who aren't obsessed with booze wouldn't give a **** nor notice what you had in your glass. Good for you for quitting! Best decision I ever made, although there are a lot of empty table tops now that I have :P

lol@thinking only alcoholics notice if someone is drinking or not. sometimes its a sign if someone isnt feeling well...or that they are a designated driver or that they are pregnant....

Surely others can "notice" but anyone who would go out of their way to make her uncomfortable is projecting in my humble opinion :)
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am genetically loaded for alcoholism, so for most of my life I avoided booze. There were a few bleary vodka years, mind you. These days, I'd rather eat my calories. :)
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I don't drink and I'm going to let the cat out of the bag but those "friends" of yours that are giving you a hard time are most likely alcoholics or future ones that don't like your clean way of life because you might notice how heavy they drink or how stupid they look or be aware to see the poor decisions they make while intoxicated. Someone said it best: find new friends. Only alcoholics notice those kinds of things. People who aren't obsessed with booze wouldn't give a **** nor notice what you had in your glass. Good for you for quitting! Best decision I ever made, although there are a lot of empty table tops now that I have :P

lol@thinking only alcoholics notice if someone is drinking or not. sometimes its a sign if someone isnt feeling well...or that they are a designated driver or that they are pregnant....

Surely others can "notice" but anyone who would go out of their way to make her uncomfortable is projecting in my humble opinion :)

was just going off this part of what you said Only alcoholics notice those kinds of things :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    i would assume they are pretty boring. its one thing if they dont feel the need to get drunk but if they cant enjoy a great wine with dinner...

I know right! I said the same thing in that AA meeting and they looked at me like I was an ahole!

AA ( assuming you were serious about attending ) has some interesting ideas.
    While I believe it's true that some people can't control themselves to have just one drink, many can.
    My drinking was out of control as a teenager and young adult.
    How I didn't get a DUI or kill someone is only by the grace of God.
    I quit completely for six years when I was pregnant and my kids were little.
    Now I can literally have one drink or even a sip of hubby's beer and walk away.
    I can go for months with no alcohol.
    I can take it or leave it.
    My point is that AA gives alcohol all the power and control.
    Not for me.
    I'm not going to be afraid of a drink because I'm in control.

But OP, I think the best guys and friends would be the ones who consider your intellect and wit more important than your consumption abilities :smile:

Edit: for stupid typos from auto-correct :grumble:

So because you have enough self control to not need AA, AA is wrong, "has some interesting ideas . . . [and] gives alcohol all the power and control?"

I find some personalities quite fascinating.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking a while back. I couldn't care less what others think. When pressed I tell them that I get ugly when I'm drunk, they always leave me alone after that. Needless to say I have absolutely no problem with non-drinking gals.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It does not make a big difference to me whether a girl drinks or not. The only thing I don't like about girls that don't drink is it makes me feel a little more subconsious of myself that I could be acting or saying stupid things after a drink or two.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I prefer women who don't drink. I don't drink either, so it makes things more enjoyable when we don't feel the pressure of "having" to drink when we're out.

It was awkward at first because my fiancee and I were both recovering alcoholics, but in the end I think it made us appreciate being with each other all the more. I'll be the first to admit it's difficult to find a place where we can feel comfortable hanging out with our mutual friends since they're all heavy boozers, but you can make it work. I find being outside on a patio bar makes it waaay easier to hit it off then being in a dark bar while trying not to drink.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    i would assume they are pretty boring. its one thing if they dont feel the need to get drunk but if they cant enjoy a great wine with dinner...

I know right! I said the same thing in that AA meeting and they looked at me like I was an ahole!

AA ( assuming you were serious about attending ) has some interesting ideas.
    While I believe it's true that some people can't control themselves to have just one drink, many can.
    My drinking was out of control as a teenager and young adult.
    How I didn't get a DUI or kill someone is only by the grace of God.
    I quit completely for six years when I was pregnant and my kids were little.
    Now I can literally have one drink or even a sip of hubby's beer and walk away.
    I can go for months with no alcohol.
    I can take it or leave it.
    My point is that AA gives alcohol all the power and control.
    Not for me.
    I'm not going to be afraid of a drink because I'm in control.

But OP, I think the best guys and friends would be the ones who consider your intellect and wit more important than your consumption abilities :smile:

Edit: for stupid typos from auto-correct :grumble:

So because you have enough self control to not need AA, AA is wrong, "has some interesting ideas . . . [and] gives alcohol all the power and control?"

I find some personalities quite fascinating.

See the italicized phrase in my own quoted post above. ^^
    Not wrong for those who are at a point in their lives where they are addicted and are controlled by alcohol.
    I don't agree with the AA absolute "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic".
    I believe people can overcome their alcohol addiction and be free to enjoy an occasional drink, because they have regained control of their lives and alcohol no longer has the power and control over them.
    Edit: to clarify, they no longer allow alcohol to control them or have power over them.
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am a 21 year old female who does not drink alcohol, none. I drank from age 16 to 20 and I feel like it's just unnecessary for my goals and ambitions. Being my age, nobody understand why I won't have just one or two drinks. It gets very irritating, feeling like I'm a nutcase for drinking a diet pop when I'm out with friends, but I can fit in well with the drunk crowd and nobody can even tell I'm sober.
    My question is: How do guys see a confident, beautiful woman who chooses not to drink when it comes to dating and relationships? The answer to this isn't going to change my decision but it's just hard for me to understand why it's so sociably unacceptable to "not" drink?

In a world of debauched drunkenness and where the women now expend lots of energy emulating the very worst of male behaviour and excess, i would say you are a breath of fresh air.

Keep doing what you feel comfortable doing. The people who think you are weird, strange, boring whatever for not drinking are immature, ignorant and probably insecure about their own drinking habits.

There is nothing sadder than adults who still treat alcohol, and refer to it, like you do when you are a teenager and experimenting with it.

I am not tee total, but I might as well be with the amount of times i drink in any given year. I am 38, I did my excessive drinking when I was essentially a kid.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, so I don't have anything against women who don't drink either.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    drink don't drink totally your decision for what ever reason and no one else's thought's/feeling hang-up matter hold your head high and smile because you are controlling YOUR life
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink, but I hold myself to a standard...
    I don't get **** faced, I control myself.
    You have to know your limits.
    I know I'm not a dude, but I am sexually attracted to girls, so maybe my opinions still stands..
    If you're a dumbass drunk that gets plastered and can't control yourself, you're not attractive..
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    and there's definitely NOTHING wrong with girls who dont' drink...
    I'm like you, sometmes you can't even tell i'm sober ;D
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If a girl wants to drink, she can drink - it's nobody else's business. However, some women (and men) shouldn't drink!

I don't drink myself anymore, haven't done for over a year. Not because I had problems or anything, just that it's dead calories and it makes me feel lethargic and tired the whole next day.

My ex GF was living proof some woman shouldn't drink - what an absolute nightmare that girl was. My current girl, however, is a happy mellow drinker.

Horses for courses.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    No problem as long when we're out I don't hear bs from you when I drink.

This I can't stand when people do that.

Like drugs- I state I don't do them simple, I don't try and psycho analyse everyone that does.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Anyone that cares about the fact you don't drink is likely not worth your time.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I think you're awesome OP. good for you
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If your friends don't respect your choice, trade up. Most people I know who drink like fish are compensating for something, usually lack of personality.