Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Air fryer... yes or no???

mdrake031718mdrake031718 Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
Any insights on an air fryer? Is it healthy clean eating since there’s no oil or technical frying involved? I want one so bad have herd a lot of praises but not if it will be detrimental toward my goals and journey? Let me know 😊

Replies

• skinnytacularskinnytacular Posts: 159Member Member Posts: 159Member Member
    I have one and use it on occasion when I don't want to heat up my oven, but mostly I use it to heat up things that aren't so healthy, such as frozen tater tots. I have a cauliflower recipe I like to do in the air-fryer, but you can only cook one layer at a time or everything sort of steams in there. I think you can do fish in the airfryer too, but I haven't really tried it.
    edited October 9
  • StaciMarie2020StaciMarie2020 Posts: 66Member Member Posts: 66Member Member
    Ps an air fryer is pretty much a small convection oven.
  • thanos5thanos5 Posts: 502Member Member Posts: 502Member Member
    i love my air fryer, but it's because of convenience and not health related. it certainly won't hurt your goals, assuming you are staying in a calorie deficit (if losing weight is your goal).
  • maureenkhildemaureenkhilde Posts: 541Member Member Posts: 541Member Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any insights on an air fryer? Is it healthy clean eating since there’s no oil or technical frying involved? I want one so bad have herd a lot of praises but not if it will be detrimental toward my goals and journey? Let me know 😊

It's just a convection oven.

Cool, this is very helpful. I too have been having this debate with myself about getting one. And I do not have a convection oven or space for one. But a long, long time ago I did.
  • RachelElserRachelElser Posts: 1,030Member Member Posts: 1,030Member Member
    I like mine, faster than the oven and it does make things nice and crispy. I use it for once in a while treats- fries, chicken tenders, tater tots, etc. My parents oven bar broke and they used their air fryer for nearly a year as their main 'oven' and it worked great on everything except meatloaf.
  • BettyboagBettyboag Posts: 205Member Member Posts: 205Member Member
    I love my air fryer- Convenient, healthy and easy to use
  • COGypsyCOGypsy Posts: 431Member, Premium Member Posts: 431Member, Premium Member
    I have a countertop convection oven with an air fry setting and basket. It’s slightly bigger and more square than most toaster ovens. I love it. Other than a handful of pizzas, I haven’t even turned on my big oven in the year and a half or so that I’ve had it.
  • shaf238shaf238 Posts: 2,897Member Member Posts: 2,897Member Member
    Air fryers are great, love mine.
  • TomFit18TomFit18 Posts: 2,452Member Member Posts: 2,452Member Member
  • MelodyMomof2MelodyMomof2 Posts: 41Member Member Posts: 41Member Member
    I love my air fryer!
  • aries68mcaries68mc Posts: 75Member Member Posts: 75Member Member
    Love my air fryer! I actually have 2. And it's not just a convection oven.
  • ExistingFishExistingFish Posts: 896Member Member Posts: 896Member Member
    I love mine. It is a ninja foodi. Not life changing from the air fryer only side, my favorite thing is frozen chicken breast or steak cooked first with pressure then broiler (which is the air fryer part but just from the top), that is life changing. Frozen to perfect chicken in 1/2 hour? Yes please. Steak is about 20 minutes. From frozen.
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 896Member Member Posts: 896Member Member
    I use my air fryer the most out of all kitchen appliances besides a food scale. Cooks perfect chicken breasts, salmon, veggies .Even Steak if you pan sear it first. .....etc. higher the wattage, the better they cook
    edited October 9
  • Roza42Roza42 Posts: 213Member Member Posts: 213Member Member
    I use my air fryer the most out of all kitchen appliances besides a food scale. Cooks perfect chicken breasts, salmon, veggies .Even Steak if you pan sear it first. .....etc. higher the wattage, the better they cook

For steak I buy thicker cuts, freeze them, and cook at the highest temp. The outside gets crispy while the steak is medium rare. And buy thicker cut I mean at least a 1/2 inch, but an inch is better.
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 896Member Member Posts: 896Member Member
    Roza42 wrote: »

For steak I buy thicker cuts, freeze them, and cook at the highest temp. The outside gets crispy while the steak is medium rare. And buy thicker cut I mean at least a 1/2 inch, but an inch is better.

Interesting...you mean you cook it from frozen on high?
  • ExistingFishExistingFish Posts: 896Member Member Posts: 896Member Member

Well I do, but mine is a pressure cooker first. I pressure cook for 0 minutes (just brining to pressure) then broil to desired doneness.

Never tried just straight air frying frozen steaks.
  • Roza42Roza42 Posts: 213Member Member Posts: 213Member Member

Exactly. The outside is crisp and done and the inside is medium rare.