Air fryer... yes or no???

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    @acpgee makes amazing meals and catering spreads when she hosts dinners using her air fryer. I vote, YES.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I have the T-fal one and it sometimes crushes the food when it fries because it stirs with a paddle. I bought a basket insert for it but haven't tried it. @acpgee says she has the Phillips one and it sounds like a better model. From her posts I am guessing she is a gourmet cook. I would really research them before buying to ensure you get a good one. I don't hate mine but it is a bit limited. Clean up is easy and I will get around to trying the basket and report back one of these days.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I have a mini DASH and I really like it! I've had it almost a year now. I use it for brussel sprouts, chicken tenders, marinated chicken breasts, re-heating leftovers, homemade tortilla chips, chickpeas, the list goes on.

It takes up barely any counter space, is great to use in the summer as an alternative to the oven (in my small apartment anyways) and is quick and easy to clean.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I absolutely love my air fryer. Very good at crisping frozen items like fries, onion rings, chicken tenders etc. It is also fantastic for making wings.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    We love our air fryer and use it several times a week! Mostly for various forms of chicken. We like to marinate tenders, wings, drumsticks, etc. and then pop in the air fryer. It's faster than baking in the oven, and we like the taste. We've also tried veggies like broccoli and some frozen foods. The air fryer has become one of the most used kitchen gadgets in our house.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I love my air fryer and use it all the time for roasting, grilling and reheating.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Love my air fryer!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I had to ask Mr. Google what an air fryer was... ;)

Nope, don't have one and I probably never will. A convection toaster oven does the work for me.
  • wrigs631
    wrigs631 Posts: 6 Member
    Love my air fryer use it almost daily! Totally different tha convection oven. Invest in a better brand not a cheap model makes a difference in how food cooks I got a Phillips from HSN on flex pay I hated my Power XL
  • bourbonblu
    bourbonblu Posts: 3 Member
    I have a tiny kitchen so I bought the Melfy Crisplid that turns your Instant Pot into an air fryer. Made sweet potato fries and "fried" fish sandwiches last night. Had no problem staying in my calorie range and it was so easy.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    bourbonblu wrote: »
    I have a tiny kitchen so I bought the Melfy Crisplid that turns your Instant Pot into an air fryer. Made sweet potato fries and "fried" fish sandwiches last night. Had no problem staying in my calorie range and it was so easy.

I've been so curious about these lids! I don't have a convection oven and love how they cook but don't have the space for a full toaster oven or large air fryer. Does food have to be in a single layer for it to work?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I love my air fryer. The fan is more aggressive than my convection oven. I feel it is better at rendering off subcutaneous fat from skin on chicken, fish, duck. I also like that it is more energy efficient and better insulated than my oven so doesn't warm up the house in the summer. Mine (Phillips Viva) actually stays cool to the touch when running at the highest temperature.

I hardly ever use my oven any more. I use the air fryer for roast dinners of beef or a half leg of lamb. I also roast veg and potatoes in it. For less healthy treats I make croquettes which I freeze and warm up in the air fryer. I find these work best if you use oily crumbs for the final breadcrumb coating.

I have a flat perforated pan for the air fryer as well as the conventional basket. The flat pan makes it easier for removing delicate or easy to break items such as fish. It also means I can fit a small casserole dish in the air fryer for making lasagnas and gratin dauphinoise.

For anyone who has an air fryer I recommend buying some silicon mesh sold for preventing small items such as shrimp and asparagus from falling through BBQ grates. You can cut to size to line the air fryer. Nothing sticks to that stuff.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    bourbonblu wrote: »

I've been so curious about these lids! I don't have a convection oven and love how they cook but don't have the space for a full toaster oven or large air fryer. Does food have to be in a single layer for it to work?

Single layer browns best but you can double capacity with accessory racks. Google air fryer double layer accessory for options.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HD9904_00/viva-collection-airfryer-double-layer-accessory?origin=7_700000001578164_71700000025767916_58700003225417653_92700047001503429&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3BiCd5qbQaGOnGadKkCTi9XF_Gu8-qcKWY-3wj71QNHaPgpaZttLIYaAihAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I use ours mostly for fries, chicken wings, chicken strips/tenders/nuggets. Does a great job on these things. More a matter of convenience than anything else. We have the t-fal version.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    My daughter has one and uses it daily. I've been debating whether to get one. She cooks almost exclusively vegetables in hers. She makes carrot fries that are so good and so healthy.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I looked into an air fryer a while back...but as I am cooking for our family of four, decided against it. I do have a good convection oven, and that suits us fine.

Of the people I talked to about it, the people who loved it most tended to be people on their own, so didn't really want to heat a whole oven for a single serve. Or people with kids/teens, who liked to make themselves snacks and meals - they found it an easy and reasonably healthy way for the kids to cook themselves a serving of fries or chicken tenders, for example.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    I'll put up this lemon pepper air fried piece of salmon against pan fried salmon any day of the week!
    057j0ltxfu9y.jpg