Don’t want to subtract workout calories

Options
13»

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Unmasqued wrote: »
    ok, I read down this and still didn't get an answer. HOW can I stop MFP from adding bk my exercise calories? The premise is fine, but I don't want it to do it. I LOVE seeing how many calories I burned, but do NOT want it deducted from my daily limit. I'm trying to lose, not maintain. Please don't tell me it's a good thing and why, just tell me how I can stop it w/o disconnecting my fitbit.

So I have no idea why you would think that if makes any difference whether you want to lose or maintain???

Weight loss is accomplished by eating in a deficit. So, if you want to lose weight and entered your stats into MFP and then entered how much you want to lose, it sets up a deficit for you. Then eat within that calorie range and you will lose weight.

Exercise is for health, and sure, you can bump up the deficit a little bit. Simply don’t eat all of your exercise calories back and you are still eating in a deficit. Again, not sure what you mean when you say you don’t want it deducted because you’re trying to lose and not maintain??? I deduct my exercise calories and still lose weight almost every week.... Again, you can choose to eat those calories back, or some of them or none of them, and you’ll still lose weight as long as you are within a deficit.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Overwrite it with zero and adjust your daily goal higher to account for average daily burn.

Or adjust your daily burn to include the exercise calorie average and then just dont log exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    wn4r41777bfx.jpg
    This is a guy who probably was complaining about why we need to learn math if we're never going to use it. :D:D:D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I love this comment so much!
  • deadguyintheweeds
    deadguyintheweeds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Apparently, because I'm using the free version of MFP, the only way to disable this action of deducting burned-calories at the gym, is to unlink my fitness device (Garmin watch). Then it doesn't deduct the wildly inaccurate burned-calorie stats.
    When my device was linked, I used the elliptical at the gym for 30 minutes, and the MFP app said I burned about 800 calories, and it deducted it from the total. WOW! Celebrate with two Big Macs and a milkshake!
    Those numbers are obviously wrong.
    I liked syncing my fitness watch with MFP app, as an incentive, but I still wouldn't want to deduct these burned calories from my daily calorie intake, even if the numbers were accurate.
    So, guess I 'll use two apps: my Garmin app at the gym (which is fairly accurate), and MFP app, which excels in tracking daily food calories.
    I could solve this by paying for the premium version of MFP, but I just can't afford it right now.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Apparently, because I'm using the free version of MFP, the only way to disable this action of deducting burned-calories at the gym, is to unlink my fitness device (Garmin watch). Then it doesn't deduct the wildly inaccurate burned-calorie stats.
    When my device was linked, I used the elliptical at the gym for 30 minutes, and the MFP app said I burned about 800 calories, and it deducted it from the total. WOW! Celebrate with two Big Macs and a milkshake!
    I liked syncing my fitness watch with MFP app, as an incentive, but I still wouldn't want to deduct these burned calories from my daily calorie intake, even if the numbers were accurate.
    So, guess I 'll use two apps: my Garmin app at the gym (which is fairly accurate), and MFP app, which excels in tracking daily food calories.
    I could solve this by paying for the premium version of MFP, but I just can't afford it right now.

Two big macs and a small vanilla shake come in at 1600 Cal or more.

Since you burned 800 Cal and went on to eat at least 1600 you show the same understanding, and will get just as reasonable of a result, as you will get by continuously not accounting for your ACCURATE exercise burns.

Did you actually read through the thread before commenting?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options

If the 800 was the synch from Garmin, and the 800 calories the net result at the end of the day, it's a reconciliation of all day activity between what Garmin estimated based on what it "saw", and what MFP estimated based on your activity level setting . . . not just the calories from the exercise.

I don't synch my Garmin to MFP because it underestimates my all-day calorie burn rather dramatically (as does MFP). Go figure. I do eat every delicious exercise calorie, though, after estimating them carefully - I think exercise calories taste the best. 😉 That worked fine all through loss from obese to a healthy weight, and for 6+ years of maintaining a healthy weight since . . . after setting my base calorie goal based on my initial personal calorie/weight tracking experience.
  • deadguyintheweeds
    deadguyintheweeds Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If the 800 was the synch from Garmin, and the 800 calories the net result at the end of the day, it's a reconciliation of all day activity between what Garmin estimated based on what it "saw", and what MFP estimated based on your activity level setting . . . not just the calories from the exercise.

I don't synch my Garmin to MFP because it underestimates my all-day calorie burn rather dramatically (as does MFP). Go figure. I do eat every delicious exercise calorie, though, after estimating them carefully - I think exercise calories taste the best. 😉 That worked fine all through loss from obese to a healthy weight, and for 6+ years of maintaining a healthy weight since . . . after setting my base calorie goal based on my initial personal calorie/weight tracking experience.

6 years. Congrats!
    I lost 85lbs about 4 years ago, but during the pandemic lockdown, I gained back 25 lbs ;(
    so, I'm trying to fix that. Resisting a large pizza is hard, but I'm confident I can do it.
    All the best!