Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

If you haven’t tried savory oatmeal, DO IT.

PlaceboFXPlaceboFX Posts: 32Member Member Posts: 32Member Member
in Recipes
I just made a savory oatmeal recipe from the YouTube channel The Domestic Nerd, with mushrooms, spinach, garlic, red pepper flakes, and chicken stock instead of water, and it’s my new favorite recipe.
It’s sooo creamy and rich tasting, yet only 200 calories for the bowl (if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup).
Look up savory oatmeal on YouTube, there are so many amazing recipes. 😍😍 I can’t believe how well it works.
«13

Replies

  • LAT1963LAT1963 Posts: 1,323Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,323Member, Premium Member
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....
  • SbetaKSbetaK Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    Thank you for the info! Will have to try these. I guess almost anything you would put rice, lentils, couscous, quinoa with would work, never thought of that.
  • PlaceboFXPlaceboFX Posts: 32Member Member Posts: 32Member Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,443Member Member Posts: 7,443Member Member
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

    How tiny is your bowl????
  • debrakgooginsdebrakgoogins Posts: 1,828Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,828Member, Premium Member
    I would probably like this. I like savory cottage cheese too rather than fruity.
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,229Member Member Posts: 4,229Member Member
    I haven't tried to make it myself but I ordered it twice at a fancy restaurant where they cooked it with cod, drizzled with basil oil and garnished with deep fried cod skin. Don't know how they got the texture to be similar to risotto.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,248Member Member Posts: 3,248Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

    How tiny is your bowl????

    How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,443Member Member Posts: 7,443Member Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

    How tiny is your bowl????

    How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?

    A serving size if how much of whatever you eat. Not what the manufacturer wants you to eat. They only tell you the serving size so that you know 100g serving is X calories. Simple.
  • lois1231lois1231 Posts: 318Member Member Posts: 318Member Member
    I have savory oatmeal every morning made with an egg, tomatoes, green onions, spices, sausage, some cheese and a tiny bit of sourcream and salsa on top. so good and filling.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,443Member Member Posts: 7,443Member Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I just spent way longer than I should have watching videos on how to make savory oatmeal. I can't wait to try it

    Which recipe you gonna go after? Video?
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,579Member Member Posts: 1,579Member Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I haven't tried savory oatmeal but I might have to give it a try next week. I am, for whatever reason, a bit resistant to the idea, but there's no reason for me to not like it.

    This is me too. I kind of like the idea, but can’t quite wrap my mind around vegetables in oatmeal.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,248Member Member Posts: 3,248Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

    How tiny is your bowl????

    How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?

    A serving size if how much of whatever you eat. Not what the manufacturer wants you to eat. They only tell you the serving size so that you know 100g serving is X calories. Simple.

    They also use serving sizes to give the consumer an idea of how many meals/snacks they're going to get out of a given package, within a fair amount of reason. I can think of other uses as well.

    Back to this bowl situation, how large are your bowls though? Really. I mean they seem rather large based on your reactions. Oatmeal made using half a cup of uncooked oatmeal plus various vegetables would definitely fill my prefered bowl, and it's not especially small.

    Is this a case of you having assumed that the OP was talking about half a cup of cooked oatmeal?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,443Member Member Posts: 7,443Member Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

    How tiny is your bowl????

    How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?

    A serving size if how much of whatever you eat. Not what the manufacturer wants you to eat. They only tell you the serving size so that you know 100g serving is X calories. Simple.

    They also use serving sizes to give the consumer an idea of how many meals/snacks they're going to get out of a given package, within a fair amount of reason. I can think of other uses as well.

    Back to this bowl situation, how large are your bowls though? Really. I mean they seem rather large based on your reactions. Oatmeal made using half a cup of uncooked oatmeal plus various vegetables would definitely fill my prefered bowl, and it's not especially small.

    Is this a case of you having assumed that the OP was talking about half a cup of cooked oatmeal?

    Exactly this. I thought OP took half cup cooked oatmeal, mixed in some vegg and called it a day.
    And regarding the size of my bowls, well.... being a volume eater, you dont want to know.
    edited October 17
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,248Member Member Posts: 3,248Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PlaceboFX wrote: »
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

    *kitten* that noise....

    Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

    How tiny is your bowl????

    How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?

    A serving size if how much of whatever you eat. Not what the manufacturer wants you to eat. They only tell you the serving size so that you know 100g serving is X calories. Simple.

    They also use serving sizes to give the consumer an idea of how many meals/snacks they're going to get out of a given package, within a fair amount of reason. I can think of other uses as well.

    Back to this bowl situation, how large are your bowls though? Really. I mean they seem rather large based on your reactions. Oatmeal made using half a cup of uncooked oatmeal plus various vegetables would definitely fill my prefered bowl, and it's not especially small.

    Is this a case of you having assumed that the OP was talking about half a cup of cooked oatmeal?

    Exactly this. I thought OP took half cup cooked oatmeal, mixed in some vegg and called it a day.
    And regarding the size of my bowls, well.... being a volume eater, you dont want to know.

    Half a cup of cooked oatmeal would work for say, a 5 year old with along with some sides. Hoping that they in fact eat all (or most) of their oatmeal...
Sign In or Register to comment.