124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    Today I had 31g out of 30g recommended NHS allowance of free sugars . 12g of that was in evaporated milk which is nutrient dense in Vit A and D so not too bothered by that :) The rest from sugar in a fruit crumble.

Is the terminology different in the UK (I'm assuming that's where you are)? In the US, evaporated milk doesn't normally have added sugar, but condensed milk usually does.

No it doesn't and milk doesn't count as a free sugar on the NHS guidelines - I just added it on my count as it is high in milk sugar for the volume that's all. Personal choice :)

I'm confused as to why you would count an inherent sugar as a free/added sugar, but if it makes sense to you, carry on :)
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sugar is only a problem for people who cant control themselves. For the rest of us, it's a source of happiness enjoyed in moderation
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    4/ 11/19 - no free sugars apart from 100 ml of evaporated milk. Happy with my self control. 12g from 30g NHS guidelines.
    Ty for the comments confused lady lol. I have personally chosen to do so - it is a grey area because it is concentrated in volume (unlike normal milk which contains a lot of water) so I have decided to include it but in a grey sort of way. It suits my self control but isn't the be all and end all. i.e the parameters are not rigid, just a bit fuzzy as a guideline (the key word)

It helps.

For the other lady - I binge eat sugar so fuzzy parameters are helpful for myself and others. Hurrah for those that alreay have self control - I struggle with it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Caralarma wrote: »
    Sugar is only a problem for people who cant control themselves. For the rest of us, it's a source of happiness enjoyed in moderation

The same could be said about food, yes?

"Food is only a problem for people who can't control themselves. For the rest of us, it's a source of happiness enjoyed in moderation."

See how judgmental that sounds?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    As a reminder for those who want to participate in the challenge, rather than just chit-chat about sugar, the actual challenge thread is over at

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10769530/30-day-logging-limiting-added-sugar-challenge/p1

Me, not participating in the challenge, I ate 53g of total sugar yesterday, about 13g added/free sugars, so about 2.6% of yesterday's 1801 calories. :lol:
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »

The same could be said about food, yes?

"Food is only a problem for people who can't control themselves. For the rest of us, it's a source of happiness enjoyed in moderation."

See how judgmental that sounds?

It actually does apply to food as well. It becomes a problem when it cant be controlled, which is why people go to extremes like cutting out carbs etc.. but its not necessary.
  • vivo1972
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As a reminder for those who want to participate in the challenge, rather than just chit-chat about sugar, the actual challenge thread is over at

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10769530/30-day-logging-limiting-added-sugar-challenge/p1

Me, not participating in the challenge, I ate 53g of total sugar yesterday, about 13g added/free sugars, so about 2.6% of yesterday's 1801 calories. :lol:

Ty - very helpful! :)

• vivo1972
    Options
    Sugar for some of us is no different to nicotine or alcohol dependence.

It is sometimes easier to not have any at all or have a small amount.

I have given up smoking, am teetotal and find sugar very difficult, but I am trying. Maybe a little more empathy wouldn't go amiss. Thanks for the positive comments - I'm off to the right thread ;)
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Vivo1972 - I totally get what you’re saying!!