Beginning Nov 1, 2019, the free version of the diary will only save data for last two years

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    How do I export the exercise data?

Don't care about the food data ... I've been eating the same stuff for 4.5 years now. But I do care about the exercise data.

That one I haven't figured out. There are better trackers for keeping those stats, though -- so this might be a good time to jump over to Runkeeper, which gives a lot of features for free. (It's owned by Asics now, which I don't love, but at least Asics hasn't messed up all of the good features.)

If you can manually see each day's exercise data in your diary, it'll be a giant time suck, but you could manually then enter them into Runkeeper and postdate each entry.

My Fitness Pal is only one of many ways I keep track of my exercise ... but I'd still like the MFP data. :)
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who have data older than 2 years and aren't paying the monthly fee. Can you view your data right now, without exporting?
  • Machka9
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    I have a question for those who have data older than 2 years and aren't paying the monthly fee. Can you view your data right now, without exporting?

Yes.
  • threewins
    Options
    Thanks. Can't someone write a script and convert the html files into data? I know that's hard, but assuming a person has the necessary skills, is there anything stopping it?
  • Machka9
    Options
    How do I export the exercise data?

Don't care about the food data ... I've been eating the same stuff for 4.5 years now. But I do care about the exercise data.

That one I haven't figured out. There are better trackers for keeping those stats, though -- so this might be a good time to jump over to Runkeeper, which gives a lot of features for free. (It's owned by Asics now, which I don't love, but at least Asics hasn't messed up all of the good features.)

If you can manually see each day's exercise data in your diary, it'll be a giant time suck, but you could manually then enter them into Runkeeper and postdate each entry.

My Fitness Pal is only one of many ways I keep track of my exercise ... but I'd still like the MFP data. :)

Got it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,731 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Yes, but only a few days at a time.

This is by contrast to how things were till about 2017, when you could, presumably, look back at unlimited number of years at a time, though the most I can personally attest to is three,

Sometime in 2017, I believe, this changed to a year at a time. And a few months later, at least for me, it changed to a variable amount of days numbering around 40.
  • Machka9
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes, but only a few days at a time.

This is by contrast to how things were till about 2017, when you could, presumably, look back at unlimited number of years at a time, though the most I can personally attest to is three,

Sometime in 2017, I believe, this changed to a year at a time. And a few months later, at least for me, it changed to a variable amount of days numbering around 40.

I can see 365 days at a time and I've successfully downloaded all my info since I started on Feb 2015. :)
  • threewins
    Options
    It would seem to me that without the skills to scrape the data, videoing the screen or using a screen video program would be the best option to retrieve the data, without paying $10.
  • Machka9
    Options
    It would seem to me that without the skills to scrape the data, videoing the screen or using a screen video program would be the best option to retrieve the data, without paying $10.

Took me a few minutes, and no videos, and I've got my info without paying $10. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Yes, although I can't see all six-plus years at once, but if I choose a limited date range (seems to be something under two months) I can go all the way back to the beginning.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Took me a few minutes, and no videos, and I've got my info without paying $10. :)

I don't suppose you'd care to share?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I can see 365 days at a time and I've successfully downloaded all my info since I started on Feb 2015. :)

14 days... 'cause I complain too much? --obviously!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Can't someone write a script and convert the html files into data? I know that's hard, but assuming a person has the necessary skills, is there anything stopping it?

Probably. They might have a limit to how much data they'll serve up to prevent scraping. They might use AJAX which wouldn't be impossible to scrape, but much more difficult. I'm on the app right now so I can't check how the HTML is structured.

Most things like this aren't impossible, the question is how much effort it will take, and maybe how accurate it will be. As a dev, if I really wanted the old data it would make a lot more sense to pay for a month of service than to write a custom scraper.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Ok, I remembered my password, signed in through a browser, and had a look. It's actually pretty straightforward. You can request a date by uri, and all the data is in a table with an ID. Exercise would have to be scraped separately, probably less important as most people have a better exercise diary elsewhere.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

They do, in fact, hide the data behind AJAX. If you make a request for the food diary for a specific date, all you really get back is some very complicated JavaScript.

But if you use the embedded web browser control in .net, it will (1) save a cookie so that once you log in, you stay logged in, and (2) execute all that JS and render it into HTML.

So, it is in fact doable without a tremendous amount of effort. At least on a Windows system, I don't know enough about other platforms to say.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Small correction to the above to indicate that my comparison costs are closer to $7.5 for one year of Google photos and $0.006 (half a cent) for MFP. MFP math was a decimal off, plus max utilization is closer to 12.5% than 17.5% due to snapshots :blush: