Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

1246710

Replies

  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,413Member Member Posts: 3,413Member Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Even if you were to give out soup, I still question how you would package it as to make sure it won't spill in the kids' bags, especially if those children are running. It's also simply unrealistic to assume that a kid (and their parent) will want to sit and eat soup at someone's house. That said, for all I know you were planning on using those awesome durable plastic restaurant containers that are fairly watertight and then putting that in a plastic bag (becuase again with running children) ;)

    Never mind that you have no idea how active the children actually are. It isn't exactly unusual for parents to be shuttling their kids around to sports practices.

    I do have those containers and the pint size version from another vendor. They are my preferred storage container.

    I'm a big fan of them as well. They're second to the glass containers that I have with snapping lids.
  • lx1xlx1x Posts: 18,682Member Member Posts: 18,682Member Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    lx1x wrote: »
    We don't get much trick or treaters.. so not issue for us in my neighborhood. 😁


    We get somewhere between 100-150. Man that is going to be a huge batch of soup.

    😂
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 7,469Member Member Posts: 7,469Member Member
    The average calories in a fun size candy bar looks to be about 80. The average number of houses a kid hits up for candy on Halloween looks to be slightly less than 50.

    So the kid’s total calorie take on Halloween (assuming no houses are giving out squid) is 4000.

    Subtract out however many calories said kid burns by waking to those 50 houses while wearing a costume and carrying this bag of candy (and squid).

    So...massive impact to obesity (making the very false assumption that the parents eat none of the candy and the kid actually remembers he to she has the candy and eats it all) is about...1 pound.

    THIS MUST BE STOPPED NOW!

    On top of all that, subtract out the calories kids don't eat because they "spoiled their appetite" by eating candy just before a meal (or in lieu of a meal).
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 7,469Member Member Posts: 7,469Member Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    lx1x wrote: »
    We don't get much trick or treaters.. so not issue for us in my neighborhood. 😁


    We get somewhere between 100-150. Man that is going to be a huge batch of soup.

    I had a neighbor as a child who dressed as a witch and had a huge cauldron on the front lawn that I guess had dry ice in it because you could see steam coming off it. But they still handed out candy.
  • rkhanson2014rkhanson2014 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I like the positive intentions by thinking of healthier treat options. Since trick or treating began in the US in the earlier half of the 20th century treats such as fruit, nuts, and popcorn have been given out. These options still seem healthier than giving kids fist fulls of candy. When it comes to candy though, gummies and chocolate seem decent since they are actually safer for teeth than hard candy. So just a different take on "healthier" there. I sure do miss the days of homemade popcorn balls and caramel apples though!

    Also, what about kids with allergies? Treats can be rather limited for that reason it seems.
  • psychod787psychod787 Posts: 3,041Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,041Member, Premium Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Even if you were to give out soup, I still question how you would package it as to make sure it won't spill in the kids' bags, especially if those children are running. It's also simply unrealistic to assume that a kid (and their parent) will want to sit and eat soup at someone's house. That said, for all I know you were planning on using those awesome durable plastic restaurant containers that are fairly watertight and then putting that in a plastic bag (becuase again with running children) ;)

    Never mind that you have no idea how active the children actually are. It isn't exactly unusual for parents to be shuttling their kids around to sports practices.

    I do have those containers and the pint size version from another vendor. They are my preferred storage container.

    But But But BPA.

    Don't worry. I get mine with extra BPA.

    I'm coming to your house! Does looking like a nice person count as a costume? lol
  • nutmegoreonutmegoreo Posts: 15,069Member Member Posts: 15,069Member Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Even if you were to give out soup, I still question how you would package it as to make sure it won't spill in the kids' bags, especially if those children are running. It's also simply unrealistic to assume that a kid (and their parent) will want to sit and eat soup at someone's house. That said, for all I know you were planning on using those awesome durable plastic restaurant containers that are fairly watertight and then putting that in a plastic bag (becuase again with running children) ;)

    Never mind that you have no idea how active the children actually are. It isn't exactly unusual for parents to be shuttling their kids around to sports practices.

    I do have those containers and the pint size version from another vendor. They are my preferred storage container.

    But But But BPA.

    Don't worry. I get mine with extra BPA.

    I'm coming to your house! Does looking like a nice person count as a costume? lol

    Is it just for looks? Cause I might be able to pull off the nice person costume too! :wink:
  • bold_rabbitbold_rabbit Posts: 560Member Member Posts: 560Member Member
    This is what's waiting for our trick-or-treaters!

    (Wouldn't let me post image! Full size candy bars.)

    Yes, we are THAT house.

    BTW, I don't think we get obese (or even overweight) trick-or-treaters. Guess they stay home or my neighborhood has thinner kids (most are first generation).

    OP - you crack me up! 🦑! My kid would've loved that.
    edited October 2019
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Posts: 229,087Member Member Posts: 229,087Member Member
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁
  • psychod787psychod787 Posts: 3,041Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,041Member, Premium Member
    boldknee wrote: »
    This is what's waiting for our trick-or-treaters!

    (Wouldn't let me post image! Full size candy bars.)

    Yes, we are THAT house.


    BTW, I don't think we get obese (or even overweight) trick-or-treaters. Guess they stay home or my neighborhood has thinner kids (most are first generation).

    OP - you crack me up! 🦑! My kid would've loved that.

    We need your address.

    For research.

    Think of the children!

    You had better have the goods with a name like yours or I feel a TPing coming!
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 7,469Member Member Posts: 7,469Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Do they sell single serving bottles of V8? Or maybe Glucerna Shakes. Those would help them avoid insulin spikes. I'd suggest Keto Slimfast, but I suppose some folks would be offended by the weight loss angle.

    They sell single-serving cans of V8 (in six-pack plastic rings, but obviously you could separate them), which would be better, anyway, because I think glass bottles tossed in a sack being dragged around by kids as young as 3 or 4 is going to lead to a few emergency room trips and stitches.

    I like the single-serving cans for my own use, because I don't want to have to keep drinking V8 multiple times a day to use up a 64 oz. can or bottle before it goes bad. I want it when I want it, but I don't want to keep having it after I've stopped wanting it.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 7,469Member Member Posts: 7,469Member Member
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

    When you're getting close to thinking you want to stop answering the door, dump all the candy in the bag(s) of the next trick-or-treater(s), and turn out the light. Leftover candy problem solved.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,413Member Member Posts: 3,413Member Member
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

    Also just think about the post Halloween candy sales...
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Posts: 229,087Member Member Posts: 229,087Member Member
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

    When you're getting close to thinking you want to stop answering the door, dump all the candy in the bag(s) of the next trick-or-treater(s), and turn out the light. Leftover candy problem solved.

    There's never any left overs, my only problem is staying out of the lollies so there is enough left to hand out 😁
    aokoye wrote: »
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

    Also just think about the post Halloween candy sales...

    We've had some great pre Halloween sales multi packs of mini mars bar, caramello koalas, Turkish delight and freddo frogs.
    Half price.. I stocked up 😜 fingers crossed now that no kids come trick or treating 😂
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 4,761Member Member Posts: 4,761Member Member
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

    When you're getting close to thinking you want to stop answering the door, dump all the candy in the bag(s) of the next trick-or-treater(s), and turn out the light. Leftover candy problem solved.

    There's never any left overs, my only problem is staying out of the lollies so there is enough left to hand out 😁
    aokoye wrote: »
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

    Also just think about the post Halloween candy sales...

    We've had some great pre Halloween sales multi packs of mini mars bar, caramello koalas, Turkish delight and freddo frogs.
    Half price.. I stocked up 😜 fingers crossed now that no kids come trick or treating 😂

    I hate how tempting these sales are..... all my grocery stores have the full bags of name brands (reeses, kit kat, snickers, etc) for $.50-$1. I can never pass it up, lol.

    (sorry so off topic of original thread)
Sign In or Register to comment.