Weight has plateaued.

Options
It’s been 3.5 weeks since my weight has been stuck at 158.9 lbs. It will either go up to 160lbs or down to 158.9lbs. Super frustrating. Yes I’m weighing all my food. I finished my period 2 days ago, but I should’ve lost something by now. Feeling discouraged by the scale.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    It’s been 3.5 weeks since my weight has been stuck at 158.9 lbs. It will either go up to 160lbs or down to 158.9lbs. Super frustrating. Yes I’m weighing all my food. I finished my period 2 days ago, but I should’ve lost something by now. Feeling discouraged by the scale.

Have you been feeling particularly bloated with your period this time around?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the only metric, and many times it's not even the best metric. Take measurements (arms, legs, torso, etc), take photos (you don't have to share them), get calipers and measure body fat (there are many online calculators that indicate where to measure) or just track your problem areas (mine are love handles and belly).

The scale doesn't always cooperate, but you can still find other ways to measure progress.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m 26 F 5’ 4” with a goal of 129lbs. I started on 2nd September after a really long break from dieting. I lost 6 lbs by 12th October but nothing since then. So I lost 6 lbs in 6 weeks. No I don’t do any cheat days. Currently averaging at 1750 calories a week and exercising 5 days a week. I did eat at maintenance this Saturday as well as a few other days in September where I ate at maintenance. I’ve been the most consistent with my deficit this time round! Aiming to lose 1 lb a week. Clothes are looser though.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

Have you been feeling particularly bloated with your period this time around?

I wasn’t bloated but I do suffer from constipation even when I eat fibre, fats and enough veggies. I also drink plenty of water.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Could be a water issue. Sometimes when you lose really fast at the beginning alot of the drop is water. Then when your body realizes that this is the new normal it reintroduces the same water level which can mask subsequent fat loss. I would keep going for a while and see if it starts dropping again. Since you said clothes are looser I would guess you are losing fat. I know 1 pound a week doesn't sound like alot but you aren't that overweight so you may lose a bit slower. Make sure you weigh everything to be sure you are staying at your 1750. Congrats on the 6 lbs!
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I wasn’t bloated but I do suffer from constipation even when I eat fibre, fats and enough veggies. I also drink plenty of water.

Have you had that checked out by the doctor? When I was about that age, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and the symptom that clued the doc in was rather extreme constipation despite a very healthy diet.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you have a thyroid problem, but constipation is a *symptom* of a variety of things that it's probably best to know the root cause of before putting it aside as something that you tolerate long term.

I’ve got pcos but I’ve never thought of hypothyroidism. I thought it slows metabolism but my TDEE is pretty much what the calculator says: 2250/2300. The constipation is annoying though. I’ll wait a few weeks and see if my weight drops.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Could be a water issue. Sometimes when you lose really fast at the beginning alot of the drop is water. Then when your body realizes that this is the new normal it reintroduces the same water level which can mask subsequent fat loss. I would keep going for a while and see if it starts dropping again. Since you said clothes are looser I would guess you are losing fat. I know 1 pound a week doesn't sound like alot but you aren't that overweight so you may lose a bit slower. Make sure you weigh everything to be sure you are staying at your 1750. Congrats on the 6 lbs!

I feel very overweight. I want to be at least 150 lbs by the end of the year. Clothes did not fit me at all. I’ve definitely lost fat. Hoping it’s just a water issue.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    @xxzenabxx At my diagnosis, I was at my lowest weight since high school and not really having trouble losing weight, except for the whole bathroom issue. The change in metabolism is SLOW and can take MONTHS or YEARS without treatment to be a thing.

If your constipation is *different* from your usual in either direction, I'd get it checked out just to be sure. As with hypothyroidism, PCOS comes with a laundry list of possible comorbidities that can trip you up when you think you're doing well, so if anything changes for an extended period of time, it's best to report it to your doctor.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have occasionally had a bit of a problem with constipation - I have found that taking a probiotic a couple of times a day has helped a bit. Obviously I drink lots of water and try to keep my fibre consumption at a reasonable level too.
  • gequalsmoney
    gequalsmoney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t rely solely on the scale. Take weekly measurements and try increasing your daily steps. The scale will fluctuate a lot. Normal. If you don’t see changes in 3 weeks then I would drop calories a bit.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m 26 F 5’ 4” with a goal of 129lbs. I started on 2nd September after a really long break from dieting. I lost 6 lbs by 12th October but nothing since then. So I lost 6 lbs in 6 weeks. No I don’t do any cheat days. Currently averaging at 1750 calories a week and exercising 5 days a week. I did eat at maintenance this Saturday as well as a few other days in September where I ate at maintenance. I’ve been the most consistent with my deficit this time round! Aiming to lose 1 lb a week. Clothes are looser though.

If your goal was to lose 1lb a week, and you have lost 6 pounds in just over 8 weeks while eating at maintenance for periods in between, then I would say you are right on track. Some of your initial weight loss may have been water weight up front, but this is why people stress that weight loss is not linear. I had periods of time where I lost nothing or even gained slightly, and other periods where I dropped weight quickly. This is why I tracked my weight with an app, and the idea that weight loss is not linear was made obvious over time. I would imagine you will start losing again soon if you stick with the plan and have a consistent deficit.

Im fully aware that it’s not linear and the sad thing is ever since I started using my app properly I’ve gotten more anxious. Right now, because I haven’t lost weight for 3.5 weeks it’s saying that I’m only losing “0.1lb per week”! The trend is always so slow I don’t get it. The app is called Weight Diary and I got it so I could avoid the fluctuations and see the trend but instead it’s just turned into another form of worry for me (yes I’m just a worrier/over thinker). No one wants to see that they’re only losing 0.1 lb per week. Thanks though, I’m just gonna stick through it.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    1. Double check that your measurements for your food are correct. I've had that problem before. I thought they were fine, and then I found out weeks later that I converted units incorrectly when tracking.

2. You could lower your calories. 100 calories is safe drop.

3. You could add an extra cardio session, or increase the calorie expenditure for your current cardio sessions.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    @xxzenabxx At my diagnosis, I was at my lowest weight since high school and not really having trouble losing weight, except for the whole bathroom issue. The change in metabolism is SLOW and can take MONTHS or YEARS without treatment to be a thing.

If your constipation is *different* from your usual in either direction, I'd get it checked out just to be sure. As with hypothyroidism, PCOS comes with a laundry list of possible comorbidities that can trip you up when you think you're doing well, so if anything changes for an extended period of time, it's best to report it to your doctor.

Adding to this, IMU clinical results suggest that the direct calorie burn impact of hypothyroism on BMR is less than 5%, even in more extreme hypo.

(Water retention and fatigue can add a variable impact on scale number or TDEE respectively.)

Regardless, if the constipation is new, see your doctor. It can be lots of things. Only a few of the possibilities are Really Bad, and those are less likely, but it's good to play safe, right?
  • healthyanav
    healthyanav Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What type of workouts do you do? I find that switching up my cardio helps! So maybe instead of a 3k run, I do an intense 20 minute HIIT session or take a zumba class. Also, I vary my calorie distribution like instead of consuming the highest calorie meal at night, I make it my lunch.

I was at 131-132 for a couple weeks. Last night I decided to skip my full on meal (chicken, veggies, etc.) for dinner and just stick with a very filling protein shake and peanuts... woke up lean so I weighed myself and dropped to 129.4. Finally.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My weight has plateaued for at least a year...I just redid some of my settings, as I'm not getting as much exercise everyday as I used to(I worked as a custodian for twenty one years)...I have just retired, and I am figuring that I can't eat as much as I used to...Before exercise calculations I should be eating, about, 1200 calories a day...It is very hard to stay under that and not go under 1000/day(they say that that is unhealthy)...Good luck to you...A plateau of a couple of weeks I wouldn't worry about...If you go a couple of months I would think about changing some things up...Good luck...