Weight has plateaued.

Options

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    One observation on measuring vs weighing... I love Boom Chicka Pop popcorn. The bag says 7.5 cups is 250 calories. Now that's alot of popcorn. It also says that's 50 grams. NOT. I started weighing it instead and it is alot heavier than the bag indicates. I found I was probably going over on popcorn alone by 100 or more calories a day. If a product gives a per item or per cup measure next to the weight I suggest you weigh because often times it is off and sometimes by as much as 25 or 30 percent.

Yep that’s a good point for those of us who eat a lot of the same prepackaged things. I find protein bars often weigh more than the package says. As if dieting isn’t *kitten* enough already grrrr
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @xxzenabxx At my diagnosis, I was at my lowest weight since high school and not really having trouble losing weight, except for the whole bathroom issue. The change in metabolism is SLOW and can take MONTHS or YEARS without treatment to be a thing.

If your constipation is *different* from your usual in either direction, I'd get it checked out just to be sure. As with hypothyroidism, PCOS comes with a laundry list of possible comorbidities that can trip you up when you think you're doing well, so if anything changes for an extended period of time, it's best to report it to your doctor.

Adding to this, IMU clinical results suggest that the direct calorie burn impact of hypothyroism on BMR is less than 5%, even in more extreme hypo.

(Water retention and fatigue can add a variable impact on scale number or TDEE respectively.)

Regardless, if the constipation is new, see your doctor. It can be lots of things. Only a few of the possibilities are Really Bad, and those are less likely, but it's good to play safe, right?

Constipation isn’t new though. I’ve had it since I was a baby/child. I was a colic baby. I think I’m going to try some probiotics again. Here in the UK it’s not easy to get diagnosed. The GPs are so stubborn when told her/him my symptoms they would just give me lactulose (a prescribed laxative).
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    One observation on measuring vs weighing... I love Boom Chicka Pop popcorn. The bag says 7.5 cups is 250 calories. Now that's alot of popcorn. It also says that's 50 grams. NOT. I started weighing it instead and it is alot heavier than the bag indicates. I found I was probably going over on popcorn alone by 100 or more calories a day. If a product gives a per item or per cup measure next to the weight I suggest you weigh because often times it is off and sometimes by as much as 25 or 30 percent.

Yeah I get it these protein wraps that are apparently 48g but whenever I weigh them they are 56g, 57g or 59g! Never trust these labels.
  • xxzenabxx
    edited October 2019
    Options
    What type of workouts do you do? I find that switching up my cardio helps! So maybe instead of a 3k run, I do an intense 20 minute HIIT session or take a zumba class. Also, I vary my calorie distribution like instead of consuming the highest calorie meal at night, I make it my lunch.

I was at 131-132 for a couple weeks. Last night I decided to skip my full on meal (chicken, veggies, etc.) for dinner and just stick with a very filling protein shake and peanuts... woke up lean so I weighed myself and dropped to 129.4. Finally.

I workout at home with dumbbells, body weight, yoga, Pilates, fitness blender workouts for cardio and I walk. I think I’m pretty active. I try not to sit for long. Yep I vary my calories too and go by my weekly average of 1750. Glad that you broke through your plateau!
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Naaer wrote: »
    My weight has plateaued for at least a year...I just redid some of my settings, as I'm not getting as much exercise everyday as I used to(I worked as a custodian for twenty one years)...I have just retired, and I am figuring that I can't eat as much as I used to...Before exercise calculations I should be eating, about, 1200 calories a day...It is very hard to stay under that and not go under 1000/day(they say that that is unhealthy)...Good luck to you...A plateau of a couple of weeks I wouldn't worry about...If you go a couple of months I would think about changing some things up...Good luck...

Oh no, hope things workout for you.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    When I started and inputted my info into MFP I started weighing and tracking convinced I was eating very healthy. But after several weeks of a stall and reading all the stickies I realized I was eating very little protein and probably too little calories. Ironically, I upped my protein increased my calories 100-200 day, my workouts improved and I started losing weight. Everything of course is personal and requires individual tweaking. I wish you luck.
  • dbrawlinson1
    dbrawlinson1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Check out video's on YouTube by a Dr Mindy Pelz, they are geared almost exclusively to woman doing keto, very big on fasting, IF, ADF and longer... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mindy+pelz
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just started experiencing a plateau in the last two weeks, but I've been doing a lot of strength training. I'm new to weight-loss, and the feedback I've gotten is that I may be gaining (via water) with the weight-lifting exercises. I already do a lot of cardio and endurance sports. Although my weight has stalled, my waist has gotten thinner during the stall, and I am stronger. So, I'm learning to measure my progress beyond the scale, and the changes in my body and energy too.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In some cases, whether changing all the things or changing one thing at a time, weight gets moving again when it would've gotten moving again.

If loss has been going along somewhat steadily and suddenly stops, in the context of no material change in daily life activity, exercise or logging accuracy, then the likeliest explanation is water retention (which can happen for a dozen different reasons, from sunburn to hormones to stress and beyond), and that stuff is going to drop off when it's going to drop off.

If our strategy had been sacrificing progressively larger animals inside a pentangle of lighted black candles in the basement (vegans may use progressively larger vegetables), we'd decide that sacrificing the goat (eggplant) was what did it, if that's how the timing worked out. It's how our human brains work.

Causation? Maybe, maybe not. ;)

Truth, but if you have to eliminate the eggplant, the cucumber, a rambutan, and the fast food you had when you took your nephew for the afternoon, it's going to take a lot longer to sort out than just trying to eliminate the eggplant next time.

Additionally, changing things up (ie - trying new types of workouts or macro balances or whatever), may increase the chance of finding mistakes that one was making previously (I usually buy the same type of yogurt, but one week I accidentally bought the low fat variety, and it tasted TERRIBLE. I made it through HALF the bulk container before I noticed that not only had I been logging too many calories per serving, but also NO WONDER THIS TASTES HORRID. I only figured it out when I brought home a fresh container and the two buckets didn't look quite the same... The problem with bulk containers being that they're not terribly high in their individual visual cues.), but also it can help a body identify routines that work better for their lifestyle or that potentially offer them an increased likelihood of compliance or long term sustainability.

:)
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    My period weight can affect the number on the scale for up to 10 days :/

If you're tracking intake accurately/using a food scale you will see a loss, sometimes it can take a few weeks to show up on the scales.

Yeah I definitely feel that my body is holding onto water 😒☹️
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've hit those sorts of plateaus before and it helped me to boost cals a few days a week but keep the weekly average the same. So if you are supposed to be at 1500 cals/day try 1800 cals for a couple of days and 1380 cals the other days. You still are eating the same calories/week but you body is seeing up/down regulation and not getting stuck with the same input/output. Obviously you can also track measurements as well as weight. You can do that in MFP or on myshape.fitness website which builds a 3D avatar and lets you see/track your shape towards a goal.
  • vholley60197
    vholley60197 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @healthyanav I have plateaued also and tried HIIT and it seemed to really help! I just started and I am enjoying it and changing up my workouts. I guess my body was getting used to my routine. :)
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I wasn’t bloated but I do suffer from constipation even when I eat fibre, fats and enough veggies. I also drink plenty of water.

Have you had that checked out by the doctor? When I was about that age, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and the symptom that clued the doc in was rather extreme constipation despite a very healthy diet.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you have a thyroid problem, but constipation is a *symptom* of a variety of things that it's probably best to know the root cause of before putting it aside as something that you tolerate long term.

By the way, I just googled symptoms of hypothyroidism and I have almost all of them 😳😳😳 this is so scary!
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    By the way, I just googled symptoms of hypothyroidism and I have almost all of them 😳😳😳 this is so scary!

DO NOT FALL DOWN THE WEBMD HOLE. YOU WILL END UP WITH NIGHTMARES ABOUT TOE CANCER AND ZOMBIE FUNGUS.

Seriously, though. Just make a list of your symptoms and present them to your doctor, and they'll probably run some blood tests to get an actual and more exacting answer to your problems/fears. Thyroid problems require prescription interventions anyway, so putting off going in isn't going to help. Just make an appointment and remove as much anxiety and stress from your life as possible, and don't make any rash changes to your life until you've eliminated the easy answers like "just wait longer" and "get a blood test."

<3

And remember to breathe.

Thank you ❤️ I feel pretty scared because I already have pcos. I guess I don’t know until I go in. Okay I’ll avoid webmd, I don’t want to be even more scared!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I wasn’t bloated but I do suffer from constipation even when I eat fibre, fats and enough veggies. I also drink plenty of water.

Have you had that checked out by the doctor? When I was about that age, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and the symptom that clued the doc in was rather extreme constipation despite a very healthy diet.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that you have a thyroid problem, but constipation is a *symptom* of a variety of things that it's probably best to know the root cause of before putting it aside as something that you tolerate long term.

Please don't stress about it! Just get tested.

For lots of us, the mainstream cases, hypothyroidism and its treatment are no big deal. I've been severely hypothyroid for nearly 20 years now. I take a tiny little pill every morning, with no negative side effects I've ever noticed, get retested (simple blood test) every 6 months for possible need of dosage adjustment (only a couple of times, since initial stabilization), and all is well.

For me, the worst bits - which are trivial - are the need to take the pill first thing in AM then wait a bit before eating, and the initial process of gradual dosage increases and blood tests to get me to the right stabilization dosage.

There are unusual cases that are more complicated, but it's really not a huge deal for the majority. And getting it properly treated really improved how I felt!