Best way to lose body fat?

Options

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I see same thing happening to me.I try to b on calorie deficit even though I exercise.my thing is:not all body types is same when it comes to weightloss.
    I do minium of 16km cardio a week&try to maintain 1300-1500 cal daily yet my loss is slower than my sister who feeds on junk,,no weightgain&no exercise.this is no self defense mode

Do you log your sister's food after weighing it? No? Then you have no idea what she eats.

There is only one body type: human. In humans, there is variation. But if you keep running a deficit and are measuring and logging correctly, you'll get there.

I still can't figure out why this hopeful message is seen as hard hearted and arrogant. It's just basic science, and it means all you have to do is figure out your mistake. I move around a lot and wind up being exposed to very different portion sizes. Here in Japan, it's much harder to get total cals as high as in the USA on my eating schedule, and I've been cutting weight like nobody's business. And that is while eating way more sugar, carbs, and fat than I would normally eat. Basically, all the "bad stuff". So this whole clean eating thing gets a big WTF from me.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Self defense mode? hmmmm
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I see same thing happening to me.I try to b on calorie deficit even though I exercise.my thing is:not all body types is same when it comes to weightloss.
    I do minium of 16km cardio a week&try to maintain 1300-1500 cal daily yet my loss is slower than my sister who feeds on junk,,no weightgain&no exercise.this is no self defense mode

Do you log your sister's food after weighing it? No? Then you have no idea what she eats.

Me and my sister are like that... Until I realized that she has no magic metabolism, she is/was more active than me and she skipped meals (she used to not eat breakfast, and maybe have only one main meal a day). When she took a less active life (out of college into the work world) she gained weight and she started working out so she is back to the size where she was at first.

Your sister might feed on junk but you don't follow her around like a hawk and see exactly what she is eating (or at least I hope you don't!). Also, you don't know exactly how much active she really is, so it's impossible for you to know exactly the calorie deficit that she has.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Me and my sister are like that... Until I realized that she has no magic metabolism, she is/was more active than me and she skipped meals (she used to not eat breakfast, and maybe have only one main meal a day). When she took a less active life (out of college into the work world) she gained weight and she started working out so she is back to the size where she was at first.

Your sister might feed on junk but you don't follow her around like a hawk and see exactly what she is eating (or at least I hope you don't!). Also, you don't know exactly how much active she really is, so it's impossible for you to know exactly the calorie deficit that she has.

Yup. I was staying as a guest with a friend who is one of these magic high metabolism people. I basically force fed him to see if it was true. He started putting on visible belly fat. When I pointed it out, he started skipping meals. Like he always does, whether he thinks it or not.

When people see me eat my post workout meal, their eyes pop out of their head, and they wonder why I'm not fat. They don't follow me for the 16 hours a day I don't eat. I have pics to prove I don't have a high metabolism.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    245 lb male eats 1500 calories a day 35 yrs old 5-8. All. Water, no alcohol, workout doing one of the following: p90x, insanity, or running. All bloodwork checked out ok according to the doctor. I use a food scale.

I take a multivitamin
    Vitamin d
    Fish oils

My weight doesn't budge. I eat this amount based on medical doctor.

I never took physics. However, everything says I should be losing weight. I check my weight daily and see the 5+. Ranges, but the top number is not. Moving down.

If the label says 60grams is a serving. And the food scale says 60, what am I doing wrong. Over estimating calorie burn possible, but I eat 1500 daily. Regardless of burn. So I would still be at a deficit. Energy leves are fine, reps or weight amount is increasing so I am not losing muscle. I use precooked weight, unless label says otherwise. I log fat oils if I use them. If I drink protein shake I log it. If it is a calorie I log it.

What now?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    245 lb male eats 1500 calories a day 35 yrs old 5-8. All. Water, no alcohol, workout doing one of the following: p90x, insanity, or running. All bloodwork checked out ok according to the doctor. I use a food scale.

I take a multivitamin
    Vitamin d
    Fish oils

I never took physics. However, everything says I should be losing weight. I check my weight daily and see the 5+. Ranges, but the top number is not. Moving down.

If the label says 60grams is a serving. And the food scale says 60, what am I doing wrong. Over estimating calorie burn possible, but I eat 1500 daily. Regardless of burn. So I would still be at a deficit. Energy leves are fine, reps or weight amount is increasing so I am not losing muscle. I use precooked weight, unless label says otherwise. I log fat oils if I use them. If I drink protein shake I log it. If it is a calorie I log it.

What now?

Under-eating by a too large margin.

http://www.leighpeele.com/starvation-mode <-- read
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

I take a multivitamin
    Vitamin d
    Fish oils

What now?

Double your intake. Seriously. I am about the same stats but 60 lbs lighter and eat 2500 calories a day. I do P90X2

The best thing you can do though is be more consistent with your diary and log every day and weigh/measure food. It's hard to really tell what you are eating without tracking.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    So you're either miscalculating or counting wrong.

If you ate 1500 calories everyday, you would be losing weight.

Not true. I am 5'9" 250 and eat under 1500 everyday. I workout daily, cardio and strength alternating.. and I am not losing. Some bodies are stubborn.

Edit: and I weigh my food to the gram. So it is not a miscalculation.

1500 is too little for a person of 250lbs, I don't even think you can get adequate protein from that. Eat a few hundred more calories.

You're female. Your calorie needs are less than a man's. You're also almost twice his age (sorry), you need fewer calories due to that.
  • pcastagner
    Options

I take a multivitamin
    Vitamin d
    Fish oils

What now?

Looking at your diary briefly, I see dinner from Pizza Hut last night, and you logged the caloric values claimed on the website.

As a kid, I had a job at Pizza Hut. Nothing wrong with Pizza Hut, but I was always throwing more cheese and toppings on there than the "recipe" allows. When they set the caloric values for the website, they are being super strict. They want to get you to visit one of their franchises while still technically telling the truth. When they send out the pizza, they are trying to get you to come back to their franchise. The slices are also not standardized.

That's just one example.

I would be looking for hidden calories in your place.

At this point, I know what I feel like when I run a deficit. It feels like I'm running on reserves. Because I am. The Japan experience has shown me a lot, and when I go back home I will be looking at a lot of these caloric values with suspicion, especially in the meat department. I have been reminded now that it doesn't matter what your NOMINAL deficit is, because its just a number on paper. People will freak out here over a 1200 calorie diet, but in the end they have no idea what the person on the other end is actually eating. I won't do that to you. I will just reiterate the science: if you run an ACTUAL caloric deficit, you will lose body mass.
  • freerangemomma02
    Options
    To the original poster: If you're eating something your body can't tolerate, it will go into self defense mode, per se, and that can greatly inhibit weight loss. Also, maybe eating too late at night could be a contributing factor? Good luck!
    If it were something the OP's body can't tolerate, then there would be obvious signs. Also, timing of meals doesn't matter if one is at calorie deficit by the end of the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

As someone with a genuine food allergy, it always cracks me up to hear someone trying to explain away their excess food intake as a sign of allergy or intolerance.

I'm all like "really? Because when I eat fish, I have to get medical treatment right away. Some foods make you fart, get over it.".

I didn't say allergy, sir, I said intolerance (no it won't kill you, but it is real). Nor did I ever cite it as a reason for eating too much. I tried to write it in a way that showed my respectful attitude, and you were rude in return? These forums could be so helpful...
  • pcastagner
    Options
    To the original poster: If you're eating something your body can't tolerate, it will go into self defense mode, per se, and that can greatly inhibit weight loss. Also, maybe eating too late at night could be a contributing factor? Good luck!
    If it were something the OP's body can't tolerate, then there would be obvious signs. Also, timing of meals doesn't matter if one is at calorie deficit by the end of the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

As someone with a genuine food allergy, it always cracks me up to hear someone trying to explain away their excess food intake as a sign of allergy or intolerance.

I'm all like "really? Because when I eat fish, I have to get medical treatment right away. Some foods make you fart, get over it.".

I didn't say allergy, sir, I said intolerance (no it won't kill you, but it is real). Nor did I ever cite it as a reason for eating too much. I tried to write it in a way that showed my respectful attitude, and you were rude in return? These forums could be so helpful...

Mea culpa, non sunt dignae.
  • mrs_n_mommy
    mrs_n_mommy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    calories in - calories out > 0 - gain

calories out - calories in > 0 - loss
  • mrs_n_mommy
    mrs_n_mommy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So you're either miscalculating or counting wrong.

If you ate 1500 calories everyday, you would be losing weight.

Not true. I am 5'9" 250 and eat under 1500 everyday. I workout daily, cardio and strength alternating.. and I am not losing. Some bodies are stubborn.

No, they are not. I'm sorry but if you're truly eating 1500 calories everyday at 250 lbs and work out that much - you have a medical condition.
    Nope. Just got back from the Dr. My blood work is exactly where it is supposed to be. I even did a fasting blood sugar. No health problems at all. Just stubborn.

Hey..did your doc suggests hormone/thyroid tests...I was stuck of sorts and lot disappointed and also had girl problems. Went to a gyn, she ordered blood work and it came back with hormone imbalance...my doc told me that it wud explain the stubborness...
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you said you're taking creatine. creatine makes your muscles hold onto water. it can prevent you from losing 'weight' but you probably are still losing fat. it just won't show on the scale because of the creatine.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Maybe, I'm also taking creatine and protein supplements, I don't just do cardio. Would the affect anything?

I'll measure everything today using a scale to get a more accurate calorie count.

Sounds like a good place to start. Just being in the habit of logging every day might be good too, just in case you don't always want to continue to eat the same thing every day.

Also, I've forgotten how long you said you were at this, but you could just be retaining water as your body adjusts to the exercise.

Congratulations for sticking with it.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food in grams. ALL of it. Every bite. No exceptions. I log gum.

Go ahead and say that everyone is the same. It is just not true.

It is true. I am afraid. You are not a special snow flake, you are a human without medical conditions (Your words).

The sooner you begin to accept you are wrong, the sooner you can improve your weight.

Good luck!

Please stop spreading this misinformation. Many, many, /many/ studies have been done that directly contradict what you're saying, and I can find *zero* that support your theory. The scientifically proven fact is that each individual /is/ actually different. Genetics, hormones, body type, etc. The amount a person varies from the "standard" that so many people think is gospel can actually be quite a lot, especially if that person has ever been significantly overweight or obese, or has significantly changed the amount of exercise in their daily routine.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I weigh my food in grams. ALL of it. Every bite. No exceptions. I log gum.

Go ahead and say that everyone is the same. It is just not true.

It is true. I am afraid. You are not a special snow flake, you are a human without medical conditions (Your words).

The sooner you begin to accept you are wrong, the sooner you can improve your weight.

Good luck!

Please stop spreading this misinformation. Many, many, /many/ studies have been done that directly contradict what you're saying, and I can find *zero* that support your theory. The scientifically proven fact is that each individual /is/ actually different. Genetics, hormones, body type, etc. The amount a person varies from the "standard" that so many people think is gospel can actually be quite a lot, especially if that person has ever been significantly overweight or obese, or has significantly changed the amount of exercise in their daily routine.

No. And no.

The basis for the field of clinical medicine is that we are all pretty much the same. If not for that, prognoses would not be particularly predictive. There is variation within a spectrum, but not as much as people eating too much and not tracking properly would like to think.

Lets see your "studies". Please, no pubmed extracts without actual conclusions supporting your point of view.
  • jaenetty37
    jaenetty37 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sorry man, apparently you have no concept of the psychology of weight loss. Men and Women function differently and many times it does not matter how great you exercise count calories sometimes your body just holds onto calories. You sound really young and have a limited scope of the world. You should really work on not being so negative. Sounds as if you are a body builder and weight loss comes easy for you. It's people like you that discourage those of us that have weight control issues. Besides, eating 1500 calories a day does not sound healthy for a male anyway. I do however agree that counting accurately is very important. There are many variables to consider like what times of the day are you ingesting particular types of food, when are you working out? Usually if you work out in the morning when the propensity for metabolism is high might help aid in the loss. But making blanket statements to someone you know nothing about is careless and just ridiculous. all I can say is WOW. Maybe it works for you but there is chemistry when it comes to the human body and there is no 100% guarantee that everyone's body will perform at the same rate of retention or loss. Just saying.
  • JMaxwell52
    Options
    Actually what you eat does make a difference especially if you're in a caloric deficit situation. Some foods can actually help you burn off fat quicker.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Actually what you eat does make a difference especially if you're in a caloric deficit situation. Some foods can actually help you burn off fat quicker.
    before everyone jumps on this...

What foods are you talking about?