In your 50's?

I am not sure if it is me being dilusional or hormone changes but its looking like my body is telling me to eat less. Would love some fellow 50 years olds to be journeying with me. So we're could learn how to change gracefully?

Replies

• shanpearson666
    shanpearson666 Posts: 2 Member
    I am 53 and I feel your pain! I have unfortunately balooned diring menopause...I don't mind journeying with you but at present graceful I am not....🤣
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    I’m 52 and am trying to lose approximately 15 lbs. it does seems harder to lose. I workout 5 days a week. I spin/cycle 3 days a week and work with weights 2 days. We can do this!!!
  • Change3vrything
    Change3vrything Posts: 3 Member
    I am 50 so I would love to accompany you all on this journey! I got to my goal weight last year but unfortunately put every last pound back on. I have many reasons but no excuses. So here I am again! I don't know yet whether it's going to be tougher or easier or the same, but I'm about to find out! I have about 60 pounds to lose. Let's do this!
  • Heathershep99
    Heathershep99 Posts: 1 Member
    Evening
    I’ve just found this site. I’m 52 and following a hysterectomy I’ve put on a considerable amount of wait I’m trying to loose. Just joined a gym (completely terrified by it) and would love to start this journey with you all.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Hi- 56 here and have been battling the same 20 pounds for years. I did join Pilates a year ago and it's made significant changes in my body. Though, I still have pounds to lose. Gotta keep to my calorie max.
  • gnora6710
    gnora6710 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi😊I'm 53 and I've been working out I have lost 7 pounds but not fast enough it is a slow process but don't give up.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    If it's okay, men get into their 50s too. I'm 53 and trying to lose around 10 lbs. Did it before, but it's creeping back up again. So yes, we're all in this together.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    I'm in my 50s and have been feeling pretty good the last few years. Knocked off some mass, and that has helped in other areas of my life. I'm fairly active, and I love food.

You might be interested in a group here for folks over 50. It's pretty supportive, and could use a few more members to liven things up. Join us!
  • kaysplace9
    kaysplace9 Posts: 1 Member
    In my 50s here and I would be delighted to join you on your journey. Since I began I’ve lost 57 pounds but the last 5 keep coming and going and then there’s the 10-15 (depending on the day) I have left to meet my goal. Ugh. I welcome the support of my fellow 50 somethings. 😊
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    54 and down to the last 3-5#s but they do not want to go (Somedays its 3 and somedays its 5 >:) ). I wish I wanted to eat less! I have learned to cook more volume foods -lots of veggies and fruit to satisfy me. Several years ago started going to the gym, met the most wonderful women and now have the most wonderful group of friends we workout and coffee together afterwards most days. I do not feel I have been aging gracefully so, would love to give it a try, hoping menopause kicks in any day now for me.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited November 2019
    I’m 59 and just lost 20 pounds and reached my goal weight. Took six months. It took a lot of discipline and a change in habits (i.e. only one snack after dinner, no alcohol except on special occasions) as well as time, but losing weight in your 50s is completely do-able! It has the added benefit of improving health and reducing risk factors for all those health concerns we suddenly need to think about. I have become very intentional about everything that goes in my mouth. I evaluate it not just for calories, but nutrition. I want every calorie to benefit me to the fullest! I splurge on whatever I want during vacation and major holidays/my birthday, but otherwise I try to eat super healthy. Doesn’t ALWAYS work and I backslide sometimes, but then I jump right back on the wagon and carry on.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Just turned 55. I'm just not as hungry.
  • pjcallie
    pjcallie Posts: 60 Member
    Just turned 55 and started keto. I am just new to premium fitness pal and looking to get support to meet my 25 pounds to lose goal. How do I get friends on this social platform?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    pjcallie wrote: »
    How do I get friends on this social platform?

Click on a user ID. You will navigate to another page unless you use the appropriate click to open a new window. The person's user ID will be there, too. Click on THAT one, and you'll go to their profile page and be presented with an option to add them as a friend.

But read their profile first to make sure they are accepting friends and what kind of friends or don't be surprised if they say no thank you.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    I eat less than I used too and dont have such a sweet tooth either.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    I'm almost 52 and the past few years have not been kind to me 😯 I have at least 40 lbs to lose. It isn't as easy as my 20s or 30s. The pounds would melt off then! Now they are stuck to me.... HOW do I lose even a little now in my 50s?!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    54 here and am desperately seeking menopause...lol. Started lifting a few months ago in hopes of stopping things from sliding :D
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    53 here. I've had success logging with MFP and doing yoga. Started a new job in May and have had 5 lbs creep up, so I started daily logging again this week. It's a slippery slope. I maintained easily at 126-128 (I'm 5'5") for about three years and then this year started seeing the scale move up. Slow and steady wins the race, ladies! Good luck achieving your goals!
  • LaraMiranda2
    LaraMiranda2 Posts: 1 Member
    I just turned 51 and am definitely noticing that what used to work for me to lose weight is no longer as effective. I train 5 days each week and do mostly weightlifting (heavy) and metcon type workouts. Tracking food is a pain but it's necessary as I feel I have no wiggle room with my calories at all! I also use a fitness band (WHOOP) to track my recovery, heart rate, sleep, calories, etc.. and I am not sure how accurate the calories are. Anyone have thoughts on that?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Welcome!

You can do this: MFP can be a great tool. For a start, read the "Most Helpful Posts" sections in the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness and Diet" parts of the forum (a.k.a. "the stickies", because they stick around), as you have time. There's gold in there! :) Direct links to them here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads

After about 3 decades of obesity, I used MFP to lose about 50 pounds back in 2015, at age 59-60 (while hypothyroid, if that matters), and have maintained a healthy weight the same way, since (I'm now 64). Slow and steady consistency works!
    I just turned 51 and am definitely noticing that what used to work for me to lose weight is no longer as effective. I train 5 days each week and do mostly weightlifting (heavy) and metcon type workouts. Tracking food is a pain but it's necessary as I feel I have no wiggle room with my calories at all! I also use a fitness band (WHOOP) to track my recovery, heart rate, sleep, calories, etc.. and I am not sure how accurate the calories are. Anyone have thoughts on that?

The good fitness trackers estimate calorie burn based on research studies, using a few things they measure. (Those measurements differ by device, but can include arm movement, heart rate, altitude, GPS coordinates . . . all of which correlate loosely with calories, but don't actually measure or exactly match them.) The net result is that they'll be reasonably close for most people, a little bit off (high or low) for a few people, and materially off for a very, very few: That's pretty much the nature of statistical estimates, which is what they're giving you.

If you log your eating and rely on your device for 4-6 weeks, you'll get a handle on where the accuracy falls for you personally, then you can use it to guide your eating (even if you're one of the unusual people who have to apply a bit of adjustment).

Best wishes!