Your relationship with food

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't regard food purely as fuel and nutrition - it's always also been a source of pleasure too. I enjoy good tasty food and social events are often centered around enjoying good food and good company.

The only time I regard primarily as fuel are when I'm doing long bicycle rides and my diet changes to support my performance. But even then there's space for enjoying my food. I'll choose a breakfast cereal I enjoy, I'll eat malt loaf - its still fuel for that day's ride but food I also enjoy. The sports drink I mix up could be regarded as purely fuel as it's not something I would drink otherwise.

I did experiment with fuelling a 200k ride purely on carb gels for maximal performance but it made the event miserable and challenging instead of enjoyable and challenging. For me it wasn't worth avoiding the provided egg & bacon roll mid morning, tasty homemade cakes at tea time purely to shave off a few minutes.

My parents grew up during wartime rationing and in poor families so food was seen by them through the prsim of food being scarce and not to be wasted. I was expected to clear my plate and it led to a lot of conflict over being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. We weren't over-fed, we didn't have an unhealthy diet.

I grew up with a similar parents ... not over-fed but reasonably healthy diet, yet being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. So now I eat only foods I enjoy in some way, and for me that's mostly about texture.

I have trouble eating solid foods on really long rides so I ended up fuelling a number of my long rides with Ensure Plus which I, fortunately, don't mind and which provided me with enough calories and nutrients to get me through the ride. On my first 1200K, I used 13 cans of Ensure Plus at nearly 400 calories per can. I did manage to supplement that with a couple pieces of french toast early in the ride, and a couple sandwiches later in the ride but that was about all the solid food I could handle. Thank goodness for the Ensure Plus!!

Interesting how different fuelling strategies/needs are. My stomach feels nauseous if I try to ride long purely on liquids so although I get the majority of my cycling fuel from my drink I feel much better if I have some malt loaf or cereal bar every hour.
    The following year's event I dived into the bacon and egg roll and was quite surprised it didn't have any negative impact despite the big climbs of the day coming up fairly soon. Clearly I have a peasant's constitution. :smiley:

The epic battles with my parents over peas, cauliflower and a few other items put me off them for life.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    I don't regard food purely as fuel and nutrition - it's always also been a source of pleasure too. I enjoy good tasty food and social events are often centered around enjoying good food and good company.

The only time I regard primarily as fuel are when I'm doing long bicycle rides and my diet changes to support my performance. But even then there's space for enjoying my food. I'll choose a breakfast cereal I enjoy, I'll eat malt loaf - its still fuel for that day's ride but food I also enjoy. The sports drink I mix up could be regarded as purely fuel as it's not something I would drink otherwise.

I did experiment with fuelling a 200k ride purely on carb gels for maximal performance but it made the event miserable and challenging instead of enjoyable and challenging. For me it wasn't worth avoiding the provided egg & bacon roll mid morning, tasty homemade cakes at tea time purely to shave off a few minutes.

My parents grew up during wartime rationing and in poor families so food was seen by them through the prsim of food being scarce and not to be wasted. I was expected to clear my plate and it led to a lot of conflict over being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. We weren't over-fed, we didn't have an unhealthy diet.

I grew up with a similar parents ... not over-fed but reasonably healthy diet, yet being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. So now I eat only foods I enjoy in some way, and for me that's mostly about texture.

I have trouble eating solid foods on really long rides so I ended up fuelling a number of my long rides with Ensure Plus which I, fortunately, don't mind and which provided me with enough calories and nutrients to get me through the ride. On my first 1200K, I used 13 cans of Ensure Plus at nearly 400 calories per can. I did manage to supplement that with a couple pieces of french toast early in the ride, and a couple sandwiches later in the ride but that was about all the solid food I could handle. Thank goodness for the Ensure Plus!!

Interesting how different fuelling strategies/needs are. My stomach feels nauseous if I try to ride long purely on liquids so although I get the majority of my cycling fuel from my drink I feel much better if I have some malt loaf or cereal bar every hour.
    The following year's event I dived into the bacon and egg roll and was quite surprised it didn't have any negative impact despite the big climbs of the day coming up fairly soon. Clearly I have a peasant's constitution. :smiley:

The epic battles with my parents over peas, cauliflower and a few other items put me off them for life.

After several years of tolerating only liquid nutrition on long rides, I discovered that I could handle solid food for a while (12+ hours) if I started eating right away and had a bite of whatever it was every 15 minutes or so through the ride. So I got a bento bag for my top tube and put oatmeal raisin cookies and salted almonds in it, and my handlebar bag is set up in such a way that I can reach in while riding so I've been known to ride with a bag of potato chips in there. :grin: But there usually comes a point on the long, long rides where my digestive system has enough of solid food and I've got to switch over to liquid, which can be complicated ... carrying drink powders etc.

I envy those who can hoover down massive breakfasts etc.!!

My epic battles were usually over meat ... especially steak. I haven't touched steak since some time in my teens.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I enjoy food, otherwise I wouldn't be in my yo-yo dieting mindset. :) It's never been simply fuel for me. But that's not to say I enjoy everything I eat. Sometimes I eat things just for the simple reason I know they're healthy and will fit into my calorie allowance for the day. I don't hate the food I eat or else I wouldn't eat it. But then, I honestly cannot think of any food I hate(some I refuse to try though). Let's face it, if I could choose chocolate lava cake or celery....hmm, which one would I choose? Lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2019
    While I enjoy food I've never felt the compulsion to eat til too full, apart from say Christmas or the odd meal out. I have to admit it does mean I don't understand the concept of binge eating which I see so many people struggle with - I guess that means I have a good relationship with food!?

My weight gain happened over years and years due to slipping little snacks in just for the sake of it, rather than actually needing them combined with not doing any/much exercise. Once I realized weight loss was about CI/CO, applied that, got to goal and haven't looked back.

I'm still using the app because it keeps me focused on remaining at goal plus I enjoy browsing the forums.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    So your criteria for food is "Doesn't make me vomit"?

I won't lie, that makes me really sad for you.

From the time I was about 6 years old, I wanted a pill I could take rather than having to eat. :) Most of the time. Chocolate lava cake on my birthday is an exception.

I just don't understand the need to thoroughly enjoy everything I eat. As long as it gives me the calories and nutrients I need, has a palatable texture, and sits well ...

I enjoy other aspects of life like being active, being out in nature, further education ...

I'm not sure anyone said they need to thouroughly enjoy EVERYTHING they eat either.

I wouldn't say that about myself - my cereal before work is ok but nothing thouroughly enjoyable, just routine nice enough. Same with the midmorning muesli bar to tide me over till lunch.

But yes I enjoy eating and I like food - some foods and occasions more enjoyable and more special than others.

But even everyday dinner - yes I want to enjoy it, not just have a palatable texture of nutrition and calories.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    I went on Lamotrigine last year and my food tastes and quirks are completely different now. Sometimes even the smell of meat can make me nauseous, I have olfactory hallucinations (sometimes nutmeg, burning matches or flowers) and my taste preferences can change from week to week.
    I ritualise eating, have a particular quirk about cutlery (has to be quality with no rough edges) and MUST go for a wee before I eat.
    Yeah my relationship with food is kinda weird, but hey no biggie for me... actually it makes me laugh sometimes how odd it is :)
  • Machka9
    edited November 2019
    Danp wrote: »
    So your criteria for food is "Doesn't make me vomit"?

I won't lie, that makes me really sad for you.

From the time I was about 6 years old, I wanted a pill I could take rather than having to eat. :) Most of the time. Chocolate lava cake on my birthday is an exception.

I just don't understand the need to thoroughly enjoy everything I eat. As long as it gives me the calories and nutrients I need, has a palatable texture, and sits well ...

I enjoy other aspects of life like being active, being out in nature, further education ...

I'm not sure anyone said they need to thouroughly enjoy EVERYTHING they eat either.

I wouldn't say that about myself - my cereal before work is ok but nothing thouroughly enjoyable, just routine nice enough. Same with the midmorning muesli bar to tide me over till lunch.

But yes I enjoy eating and I like food - some foods and occasions more enjoyable and more special than others.

But even everyday dinner - yes I want to enjoy it, not just have a palatable texture of nutrition and calories.

And that's great! For you and for many others here. :)

For me, it's not possible.

For the two that disagreed with my comment, what are you disagreeing with? :lol:
  • Machka9
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    Sometimes even the smell of meat can make me nauseous

That's pretty much all the time, since I can remember, for me ... especially when it is cooking or undercooked.