Your relationship with food

Options

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I was a picky eater (okay, I still am). Started skipping meals or going a day without eating when I was 12 (to lose weight that I did not need to lose). First gained weight in my 20s and gained/lost large amounts (50-80lbs) 3 times now in 18 years. I love sweets way too much and eat so much. I don't care much about real food/meals. When I gain weight it's super fast (I gained 50lbs in 3 months while engaged). I also find it surprisingly easy to just stop eating and skip meals. I do not have a normal relationship with food and doubt I ever will. I'm in my late 30s now.

I can relate to this. While my yo-yo-ing hasn’t been as extreme as described above, this rings very true for me too. I’ve always had a dodgey relationship with food. Been in and out of therapy for it. It’s exhausting, mentally and physically. One day I wish to master moderation for the long term.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I don't have a relationship with food.

I have a relationship with my husband, my parents, my brother ... possibly also with my bicycles ... but not food.

Food is just food. I have preferences in terms of texture and flavour, but eating is mainly a fuel thing.

What exactly is a relationship with food?

🙄🙄🙄

I'm not sure what that means, but I do know it doesn't answer the question: What exactly is a relationship with food?

:):):)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Quite simply, food isn't just fuel and it's folly to think you can view it as such.

Anyone who tells you that they just treat food as fuel for their body and they're not subsisting on a puree nutrient paste is kidding themselves.

Food can be fuel and have an acceptable texture.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't regard food purely as fuel and nutrition - it's always also been a source of pleasure too. I enjoy good tasty food and social events are often centered around enjoying good food and good company.

The only time I regard primarily as fuel are when I'm doing long bicycle rides and my diet changes to support my performance. But even then there's space for enjoying my food. I'll choose a breakfast cereal I enjoy, I'll eat malt loaf - its still fuel for that day's ride but food I also enjoy. The sports drink I mix up could be regarded as purely fuel as it's not something I would drink otherwise.

I did experiment with fuelling a 200k ride purely on carb gels for maximal performance but it made the event miserable and challenging instead of enjoyable and challenging. For me it wasn't worth avoiding the provided egg & bacon roll mid morning, tasty homemade cakes at tea time purely to shave off a few minutes.

My parents grew up during wartime rationing and in poor families so food was seen by them through the prsim of food being scarce and not to be wasted. I was expected to clear my plate and it led to a lot of conflict over being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. We weren't over-fed, we didn't have an unhealthy diet.
  • Machka9
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't regard food purely as fuel and nutrition - it's always also been a source of pleasure too. I enjoy good tasty food and social events are often centered around enjoying good food and good company.

The only time I regard primarily as fuel are when I'm doing long bicycle rides and my diet changes to support my performance. But even then there's space for enjoying my food. I'll choose a breakfast cereal I enjoy, I'll eat malt loaf - its still fuel for that day's ride but food I also enjoy. The sports drink I mix up could be regarded as purely fuel as it's not something I would drink otherwise.

I did experiment with fuelling a 200k ride purely on carb gels for maximal performance but it made the event miserable and challenging instead of enjoyable and challenging. For me it wasn't worth avoiding the provided egg & bacon roll mid morning, tasty homemade cakes at tea time purely to shave off a few minutes.

My parents grew up during wartime rationing and in poor families so food was seen by them through the prsim of food being scarce and not to be wasted. I was expected to clear my plate and it led to a lot of conflict over being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. We weren't over-fed, we didn't have an unhealthy diet.

I grew up with a similar parents ... not over-fed but reasonably healthy diet, yet being expected to eat food I didn't enjoy. So now I eat only foods I enjoy in some way, and for me that's mostly about texture.

I have trouble eating solid foods on really long rides so I ended up fuelling a number of my long rides with Ensure Plus which I, fortunately, don't mind and which provided me with enough calories and nutrients to get me through the ride. On my first 1200K, I used 13 cans of Ensure Plus at nearly 400 calories per can. I did manage to supplement that with a couple pieces of french toast early in the ride, and a couple sandwiches later in the ride but that was about all the solid food I could handle. Thank goodness for the Ensure Plus!!