How to deal with sweet's in the home

Options
I have a huge problem with this. And no matter what I say wife brings the crap in. Last night she brought 3 dozen cookies and a pie home. And tells me I just need self control. If I had a abundance of that I would not be 400 pounds. And it's not like I am the only one in the house with a high bmi wife motherland fathering law all gave over 40. I just having a hard time not eating them because if I have 1 I'll eat a 4 our 5

Replies

• airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mother in law and father in law stupid auto correct
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ty for the advice I'll try it
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem with this. And no matter what I say wife brings the crap in. Last night she brought 3 dozen cookies and a pie home. And tells me I just need self control. If I had a abundance of that I would not be 400 pounds. And it's not like I am the only one in the house with a high bmi wife motherland fathering law all gave over 40. I just having a hard time not eating them because if I have 1 I'll eat a 4 our 5

Had I already made myself clear on the subject, and she still brought that into the home without any other special occasion in mind, I would have put most (or all) of it down the garbage disposal.

I would remind her that I wasn't joking and if she brought more of the same into the house, it would suffer the same result.

Harsh? Maybe... so what?

What's the worst thing that would happen? She get's upset?

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on how to tackle this because I'm thankful I don't have to deal with all that sort of stuff getting brought into the house - its me who organises the food shop thankfully and I don't have a sweet tooth any more.

But I do agree with logging it, and seeing if you can fit some pie or whatever into your calories.
    I'm pretty good at sampling a minute slice of pie and being content but its taken a lot of practice at denying myself to get to that place.
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to log it before eating it. That way when I see how little calories/macros left I don't eat the crap
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    I used to have this problem a long time ago, my solution was nuclear but worked, I told my partner that I don't want any sweets etc and if they bought anymore into the house I would bin it to stop me eating it. 2 weeks later she bought some chocolate for me and I promptly binned it as soon as she gave it to me. After that she stopped buying me sweets. If your partner isn't going to help you then you need to help yourself.

That’s a slightly different scenario though, where the ‘treat’ is bought specifically for you so if you choose to bin it rather than eat it, it’s up to you.

The OP is talking about stuff being brought into the house that he doesn’t wish to be tempted by but other members of his household are comfortable eating. The only reasonable way to handle the OP’s situation would be to gather the self control and just resist temptation, in my opinion.

OOOOR do what I suggested and buy his own treats that way he still has something to eat and will therefore be less tempted by the sweets his wife is bringing in. Still sad and she should stop if she's been asked IMHO...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem a long time ago, my solution was nuclear but worked, I told my partner that I don't want any sweets etc and if they bought anymore into the house I would bin it to stop me eating it. 2 weeks later she bought some chocolate for me and I promptly binned it as soon as she gave it to me. After that she stopped buying me sweets. If your partner isn't going to help you then you need to help yourself.

That’s a slightly different scenario though, where the ‘treat’ is bought specifically for you so if you choose to bin it rather than eat it, it’s up to you.

The OP is talking about stuff being brought into the house that he doesn’t wish to be tempted by but other members of his household are comfortable eating. The only reasonable way to handle the OP’s situation would be to gather the self control and just resist temptation, in my opinion.

That is not a strategy. Fighting with yourself without tools is 50/50 on having the outcome you want. Will-to-eat could easily be stronger than will-to-abstain.

• Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I was using my example as a guide, maybe his family could be more supportive and have any treats hidden if they have to bring them in the house, a sweet binned is a sweet not eaten which is the best outcome. Some people just have no will power when it comes to certain things. For me I can go without anything nice no problem with 1 exception, if there is chocolate in my house you damn well know I am eating it if it stays there. I have a weakness for chocolate others for sweets it is good to identify the weakness and remove it from temptation in my opinion.
  • Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    But that is a choice not to eat meat. If you couldn't eat meat if it was around you that would be a weakness and if it was having health issues then yes I would say your family should support you and remove meat from the house. There is a subtle but important difference between things that are a choice and things that you can't control.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Tell your wife that people with the most self discipline are people who avoid putting themselves in tempting situations very often.

When she brings things into the home tell her to immediately put them out of sight. If she does not then you put them where you cannot easily see them and preferably where you cannot easily get to them.

Before you eat anything that might put you over your goal make it a requirement to log it first. If it puts you over your goal and you still feel compelled to eat one say aloud "I am about to eat X and it will put me over my goal." Hear yourself say it so that you are fully facing the reality of what you are doing.

I can't say that any of this will work but it should not make the situation worse if you give it a try.

You should establish a habit of logging everything before eating though until you can moderate certain foods better.

Good advice.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

This sounds very difficult. Have you tried (I expect you have) asking her why all the sweets or if she could keep ones she wants to eat elsewhere (like at work, if she works outside the home)? That really seems like an excessive amount if just for her, is it also for children or the in-laws? Does she otherwise seem not on-board with your weighloss? I agree that self-control plays a necessary role, but this seems to be making it much more difficult and often self-control is much harder before a habit is established -- perhaps talking about how limiting temptation in the home need not be permanent, but will be very helpful for you initially might help?

If not, I agree with NovusDies that it will be helpful to keep them out of sight. Maybe have a shelf or cabinet for your things (only for you) and her things (or the rest of the family's) things--things that you won't touch since they are being saved for others.