Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Are There Benefits to Intermittent Fasting? (NY Times article)

JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 2,023Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,023Member, Premium Member
I thought some people might find this interesting:

Are There Benefits to Intermittent Fasting? (NY Times)

"The best diet is the one where you are healthy, hydrated and living your best life. If you want to fast, it offers similar weight-loss benefits to just cutting calories."

https://nyti.ms/2KNpYVM

Replies

• NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 5,971Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,971Member, Premium Member
    It started strong but then it went downhill culminating in the statement that it can take several days or longer for your body to start burning fat. The moment you are in an energy deficit is the moment you begin burning fat.
  • freda78freda78 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    "The most effective diet is the one you can stick to while still living your best life."

The article gives good advice, and how IF works is of less interest than whether or not it works for you.

I am doing 5:2 and am having the most success I have ever had, sticking with it since July and losing in excess of 15kg so far (I did not start weighing until September). It works for me, as the article says, because I only have to really restrict what I eat every 3rd day (I in fact have settled into a 2:1 regime) and for me that has meant no binging, which is where having to restrict every day ALWAYS takes me in the end.

I am happy I am losing weight and I am happy I can still eat decent sized meals more days than not.

And finally it also means I am not frightened that Christmas dinner will knock my diet off course as I will simply fast on the day before and then again on the day after, and then continuing with the usual routine.
    edited December 2
  • rumbaimomrumbaimom Posts: 45Member Member Posts: 45Member Member
    IF is working well for me with 18:6 or 20:4 schedule. Helps me not obsess about each calorie I consume. I absolutely have dropped in cravings and appetite which helps you stay in your calorie deficit. The loss isn’t super fast for me, just about 2 lbs a week. But I’m dropping sizes and enjoying my workouts more. It’s a nice fit for me.
  • J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 5,338Member Member Posts: 5,338Member Member
    rumbaimom wrote: »
    IF is working well for me with 18:6 or 20:4 schedule. Helps me not obsess about each calorie I consume. I absolutely have dropped in cravings and appetite which helps you stay in your calorie deficit. The loss isn’t super fast for me, just about 2 lbs a week. But I’m dropping sizes and enjoying my workouts more. It’s a nice fit for me.

2 lbs per week is pretty fast...