Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Are There Benefits to Intermittent Fasting? (NY Times article)

JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 2,271Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,271Member, Premium Member
I thought some people might find this interesting:

Are There Benefits to Intermittent Fasting? (NY Times)

"The best diet is the one where you are healthy, hydrated and living your best life. If you want to fast, it offers similar weight-loss benefits to just cutting calories."

https://nyti.ms/2KNpYVM

Replies

• NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 7,073Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,073Member, Premium Member
    It started strong but then it went downhill culminating in the statement that it can take several days or longer for your body to start burning fat. The moment you are in an energy deficit is the moment you begin burning fat.
  • dramafree69dramafree69 Posts: 112Member Member Posts: 112Member Member
    I'm doing 16:8 and have loss 13 pounds no keto just eating at my BMR not exercising. I've noticed it's decreased my appetite. So yeah I would definitely say intermittent fasting works!
  • SlayLikeAWarriorSlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 58Member Member Posts: 58Member Member
    IF works...I have been doing 18:7 and I am in fasted state during my workouts.
  • JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 2,271Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,271Member, Premium Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    IF works...I have been doing 18:7 and I am in fasted state during my workouts.

Is squeezing 25 hours into a day a benefit of IF?

:smiley:

18:7 and 8 days a week!! ;)
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Posts: 8,199Member Member Posts: 8,199Member Member
    For weight loss it isn't any more beneficial than standard 10% caloric deficit. If it helps you adhere to a caloric deficit better long term then I have no issues.

Also it could be useful for those who train for ultra type events.
    edited March 14
  • missyelainiousmissyelainious Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
    I have been doing IF 16:8 for a month and am really liking it. On 1200 cal per day it gives me more room to eat bigger meals. Before this I was eating a lot for breakfast and snacks, now I just push through the morning and eat a big salad at noon and feel great!
  • JthanmyfitnesspalJthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 2,271Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,271Member, Premium Member
    Man, I can't understand why anyone would hit "Disagree" with @missyelainious. She just told us that it's working for her. How can you disagree with that?