The Men who Made Us Fat

Options

Replies

• HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    I don't want to oversimplify a complicated issue but I HATE the name of this otherwise interesting doc. There are TONS of factors that surround the topic of what we eat and why, like cultural things, money or lack there of, surroundings, eating disorders, marketing, jobs...

BUT

it comes down to you.

You are the one who decides what you are going to do, and I don't know a single person who is truly ignorant whats good food and what isn't.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    This isn't about blaming other people, it's about exploring what changed in our political and cultural history which made the supermarket culture which we all experience come to be.

I find it validating to be able to look at what is marketed right now as "healthy" and know that I'm not crazy for having tried to lose weight for years and not being able to because I fell into the traps that have been set and now that I've dug myself out and can see it clearly, it becomes easy for me to see where I went wrong, and know that it WILL be an uphill battle, probably more than past generations, because of how difficult it really is to avoid certain ingredients. Nowhere in it does it say that you don't have to put the work in in order to lose the weight, it's saying "this is what is and has been in our culture which adds to why it's so difficult to lose weight." Films like this one are what helped me finally see that it really is as difficult as I think it is and why. From there, I was able to explore how to make changes that have helped me lose a lot of weight.

Taking responsibility for your part in your own weight gain doesn't negate that our daily lives are, in fact, affected by the decisions made which are shown in this film. It doesn't take the responsibility off of the individual to learn the pitfalls, in a way, it helps show where pitfalls are that the viewer may not have been aware of (that's certainly what films of this nature did for me), so that they may be conscious of them in the future.

The title is a bit sensationalized, yes, but a good deal of the information in it is valid.

But you're wrong.. it isn't difficult if you want it bad enough.

For a start, you can eat McDonalds, you can drink soda and still lose weight - you don't have to avoid ANYTHING.

MODERATION, WILL POWER, CALORIE CONSUMPTION.

Three simple things that change it all.

To an extent I agree with you, but in order to put this into practice, one must first have the information. Saying "moderation" is all well and good, but you have to know how to moderate before you can actually do it. If you don't know this or that is bad for you or causes cravings for something else that also aids weight gain, even trying one approach can create prime opportunity for different kinds of consequences you hadn't been aware of before. If you're just starting out trying to obtain the information, a film like this one can be very helpful. It can give direction, if the viewer chooses to use it that way.

As said, documentaries and such like this one helped me get on the path to lose the 45 pounds I've lost so far this year. I had absolutely no idea what to do and was at a loss trying to figure out how to approach my growing weight problem. They aren't complete, but they can certainly help you get started. Everyone's different. Shouldn't knock something that can help someone else just because you're in a different place.

It's also interesting to me from a cultural anthropological viewpoint to look at how what we know and knew has evolved over the years and changed. A lot of what went on "back in the day" was people acting on what they thought was correct, and what repercussions the (since disproven) facts of yesteryear had then and in some ways continue to have on today's society.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to give it a watch, thanks for posting, I personallly low carb, so all the processed junk it out of my life, I feel so much better now
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...

That is a fact. I agree completely. People sell crack too and I choose not to use that.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    crack is illegal, maybe bad food should be also?,, apple to apple here?
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Only one person made me fat. And it's not a man. Well at least I think it's not. Lemme go double check.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Thanks for posting those links! I'll definitely give it a watch later. I do enjoy a good food industry doc.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I once saw a little Tumblr meme thingie that said something along the lines of if you see a food in a commercial, you shouldn't be eating it, and that is pretty much true. (with the exception of Nutella)
    [/quote
    I may be an oddball.....but, I have never had Nutella. But it sounds like heaven...:blushing:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    crack is illegal, maybe bad food should be also?,, apple to apple here?

You could argue that drugs should be legal and people should be free to choose what they want to put in their body, but most people probably think that's ludicrous.

It is not apples and apples. It's not just over consumption of crack that is bad for your body, any amount of crack is bad for your body, the same is not true for fast food and processed foods, thus apples and oranges
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Interesting documentary. Some of the things mentioned were surprising.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Also, it has a pretty good soundtrack - Muse, New Order, The Smiths, etc
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    so it wasn't my fault I was a fat disgusting blob?

interesting...all that self hate for nothing

thanks, op :wink:
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This isn't about blaming other people, it's about exploring what changed in our political and cultural history which made the supermarket culture which we all experience come to be.

I find it validating to be able to look at what is marketed right now as "healthy" and know that I'm not crazy for having tried to lose weight for years and not being able to because I fell into the traps that have been set and now that I've dug myself out and can see it clearly, it becomes easy for me to see where I went wrong, and know that it WILL be an uphill battle, probably more than past generations, because of how difficult it really is to avoid certain ingredients. Nowhere in it does it say that you don't have to put the work in in order to lose the weight, it's saying "this is what is and has been in our culture which adds to why it's so difficult to lose weight." Films like this one are what helped me finally see that it really is as difficult as I think it is and why. From there, I was able to explore how to make changes that have helped me lose a lot of weight.

Taking responsibility for your part in your own weight gain doesn't negate that our daily lives are, in fact, affected by the decisions made which are shown in this film. It doesn't take the responsibility off of the individual to learn the pitfalls, in a way, it helps show where pitfalls are that the viewer may not have been aware of (that's certainly what films of this nature did for me), so that they may be conscious of them in the future.

The title is a bit sensationalized, yes, but a good deal of the information in it is valid.

But you're wrong.. it isn't difficult if you want it bad enough.

For a start, you can eat McDonalds, you can drink soda and still lose weight - you don't have to avoid ANYTHING.

MODERATION, WILL POWER, CALORIE CONSUMPTION.

Three simple things that change it all.

^this.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options

I have to wonder if you even watched it or if you're just responding to the phrasing of the title.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I feel badly for the folks that had the evil men come to their houses and force them to over-consume until they got fat. . . .

Both of them.
  • bumble290472
    Options
    I haven't seen this but I am watching his new 4 part documentery The Men Who Made Us Thin. Its covering the diet and fitness industries, and diet drugs, surgery etc... Very interesting so far. Its on BBC2 for those that can get it, not sure if its available online but its worth checking out.
  • GrandMaKandy
    GrandMaKandy Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The men who made us fat is a BBC documentary done in 2012 with a wealth of information concerning the food industry the food itself and how we became obese
    It is a three part series you can find by going to You Tube
    Part 1, 2 and 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owekbSp7wU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQHXkOUjeI

Have watched the whole series, there has been a few of these documentaries on tv over the past month including The Man Who made us thin, Long live Britian and one on ITV (can't remember what that one was called).

Real eye openers.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    2979819166_4be65ac800_o.gif
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I have to wonder if you even watched it or if you're just responding to the phrasing of the title.

Didn't and wont watch :laugh:

Title alone assures me the makers of documentary are ding dongs
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    -.- not again

Yup time to blame Colonel Saunders, Ronald McDonald, the Burger King and Wendy's dad Dave...