Replies

• KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thank you!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lol, it doesn't matter what the post is, you always get the "regulars" on this site, that have posted about 1 million and 2 comments, jumping in with their comments.

Anyway, back to the point. I do blame marketing of junk food to a degree. Some people (like drug addicts) are mentally addicted to certain foods, and usually it ends up being junk food (hence the weight problems) so they complain about it. No, they don't have to plod off to buy and eat the food that was just advertised, but it does make it harder when you're constantly having KFC, McDonalds and other fast food adverts shoved down your throat (excuse the pun)

I learnt to look beyond things like junk food adverts, and realise that the only reason I wanted that KFC, was because of the adverts doing their job correctly. If I want a chicken burger and fries, I'll get my own chicken fillet, my own wholegrain bun, light mayo and some oven cooked fries, with a side of light coleslaw. Simple, cheap and under 600 calories. I've found there is usually an healthy/healthier identical alternative to everything.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Lol, it doesn't matter what the post is, you always get the "regulars" on this site, that have posted about 1 million and 2 comments, jumping in with their comments.

Anyway, back to the point. I do blame marketing of junk food to a degree. Some people (like drug addicts) are mentally addicted to certain foods, and usually it ends up being junk food (hence the weight problems) so they complain about it. No, they don't have to plod off to buy and eat the food that was just advertised, but it does make it harder when you're constantly having KFC, McDonalds and other fast food adverts shoved down your throat (excuse the pun)

I learnt to look beyond things like junk food adverts, and realise that the only reason I wanted that KFC, was because of the adverts doing their job correctly. If I want a chicken burger and fries, I'll get my own chicken fillet, my own wholegrain bun, light mayo and some oven cooked fries, with a side of light coleslaw. Simple, cheap and under 600 calories. I've found there is usually an healthy/healthier identical alternative to everything.

This is my feeling as well. :drinker:
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You are the Master of your body and you are responsible all the way...It's not being sarcastic but understanding how we got fat in the first place.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Lol, it doesn't matter what the post is, you always get the "regulars" on this site, that have posted about 1 million and 2 comments, jumping in with their overinflated and sarcastic comments.

I watched this, and even though I found it interesting, it's something I already pretty much knew. It's OK for these reformed fatties to come on here saying crap like "Blah blah, it's your fault you're fat, not the food industries fault" because they are now thin, or at their ideal weight. They don't seem to understand that other people struggle with different things than they did. Just ignore these moronic regulars with their negative self righteous comments.

Well said. People are commenting on the title, they don't know what the program was about. One thing I was discussing with my wife this evening after we saw an advert for something trying to persuade kids to be more active - scientific studies mentioned in the program show kids are just as active as they have ever been, it is their diet that makes them fat, and when it starts that young, it's even more difficult to break.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Lol, it doesn't matter what the post is, you always get the "regulars" on this site, that have posted about 1 million and 2 comments, jumping in with their overinflated and sarcastic comments.

I watched this, and even though I found it interesting, it's something I already pretty much knew. It's OK for these reformed fatties to come on here saying crap like "Blah blah, it's your fault you're fat, not the food industries fault" because they are now thin, or at their ideal weight. They don't seem to understand that other people struggle with different things than they did. Just ignore these moronic regulars with their negative self righteous comments.

Well said. People are commenting on the title, they don't know what the program was about. One thing I was discussing with my wife this evening after we saw an advert for something trying to persuade kids to be more active - scientific studies mentioned in the program show kids are just as active as they have ever been, it is their diet that makes them fat, and when it starts that young, it's even more difficult to break.

Indeed Ron. Targeting kids with crap is beyond belief. For example, fruit shoots. These drinks are aimed at kids, with their bright coloured bottles, and big animated looking fruits, with arms, legs and sunglasses on. It makes the kids want this drink, which is saturated with sugar and e numbers. then the kids nag parents for these kinds of products, and the parents often give in. Then you'll get these morons that put themselves on pedestals, preaching that it's "the parents fault" but it isn't. It's hard to say NO to kids when they want something, especially when it's something that's aimed towards them.

I suppose it comes down to the old "If you haven't got anything nice/helpful to say, don't say anything at all"
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say NO to kids when they want something, especially when it's something that's aimed towards them.

Sure it's hard, but that's parenting. That's the thing... as a parent, you have the choice to make. Sure, it's marketed towards the kid.. specifically.. but it's the parent that puts it in the cart, pays for it at the register, and gives it to the kid once they get home, right?

How does that not fall on the parent?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say NO to kids when they want something, especially when it's something that's aimed towards them.

Sure it's hard, but that's parenting. That's the thing... as a parent, you have the choice to make. Sure, it's marketed towards the kid.. specifically.. but it's the parent that puts it in the cart, pays for it at the register, and gives it to the kid once they get home, right?

My parents just left me in the car.
  • trogalicious
    Options

Exactly. Mine told me no. I listened.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

My mom carried a wooden spoon in her purse. If we acted up, she'd use it, not just SAY she was going to use it. We were very good kids.
  • _EndGame_
    Options

Actually, the point is that the food industry does indeed play a part in swaying peoples opinions regarding the kind of foods they consume.

Have you ever said "NO" to a kid with severe ADHD? Try it, see if you remain firmly perched on your pedestal.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Actually, the point is that the food industry does indeed play a part in swaying peoples opinions regarding the kind of foods they consume.

Have you ever said "NO" to a kid with severe ADHD? Try it, see if you remain firmly perched on your pedestal.
    I get that. That's marketing. How a product is marketed to the public DOES have an effect. Not arguing that. I still don't know how it doesn't fall on the parent? Since the kid isn't shopping for groceries.

...and yeah. Having spent 6 years as a classroom teacher, I've spent plenty of time telling kids no. They complained, whined, pitched plenty of fits.. and the answer remained the same.

Also, pedestal? Dude really? What exactly constitutes me being on a pedestal?
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump to watch later. thx!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Keep insulting people pointing out the obvious.

I choose to say "no" to my kids. They get some ice cream, some popcorn, and other treats, but the vast majority of their diets consist of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, lean meats, dairy, and fish. Their diet mirror's my wife's and my diet to a large degree. Is it easy? No. Raising children takes work.

I have friends raising children with severe disabilities, and their kids are still healthy. They have it harder, for sure, but they're also doing a heck of a job. Rather than saying "it's so hard and so unfair" though, they suck it up and do the right thing by their kids. For that they have my eternal respect.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Were we talking about kids with ADHD? No. There are always exceptions to the rule. That's why they aren't the rule and it should be understood that we don't include the exceptions when talking about generalizations. Just like in general, sugar is okay, but I would tell a diabetic to eat all the sugar because it's okay for the general population.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I find it very easy to be honest to say . Just because a child may some issues doesnt mean they get anything they want. For example I work with people who are mentally disabled who have a wide range of problems from autism, bi-polar, depression, adhd, ect and it part of my job to say no just like it part of my job as a parent to say to my kid who whines if he wants something.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Originally the point is the food industry, targeting certain groups of people, including kids, with junk food products.

If these companies weren't there to advertise their junk, then people would be less aware of it, thus resulting in less consumption of foods that are essentially bad for us.

As for parents with kids. I'll use my own childhood to summarise this. I was never fat as a child, I used to eat what was cooked for me by my mum and my nan. Sunday we would get an ice cream from the ice cream van, I may have got a multi pack of Snickers or something, and eaten them throughout the week. I can't ever really recall adverts for McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Now all there is on TV is adverts about food, and America and certain European countries have huge obesity problems. It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas.

Now, you can rattle on all you like, justify things to suit your own opinions all you like, these huge food industries don't spend money on advertising, for it to not work.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Originally the point is the food industry, targeting certain groups of people, including kids, with junk food products.

If these companies weren't there to advertise their junk, then people would be less aware of it, thus resulting in less consumption of foods that are essentially bad for us.

As for parents with kids. I'll use my own childhood to summarise this. I was never fat as a child, I used to eat what was cooked for me by my mum and my nan. Sunday we would get an ice cream from the ice cream van, I may have got a multi pack of Snickers or something, and eaten them throughout the week. I can't ever really recall adverts for McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Now all there is on TV is adverts about food, and America and certain European countries have huge obesity problems. It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas.

Now, you can rattle on all you like, justify things to suit your own opinions all you like, these huge food industries don't spend money on advertising, for it to not work.

Your logic is flawed. You gained weight because of your own eating habits, not an advert on television.

I was fat, because I ate food. Plenty of people are fat who don't eat fast food, and only eat "healthy & clean".
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...

^^ this. Agri-business is what it is, but they aren't force-feeding anybody.