January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm so peeved.

Our local sporting chain is having a huge sale on shoes. I checked it out.

Mens asics gel kayano, over 40% off, so only 149 down from 279! Women's gel kayano, same price. Wtf.

And of course no mens in my size. Sigh.

Did you ask them why the women's were not on sale too? Maybe they were a more current model and the sale one was sold out?

I asked, they were both the 26s so the most recent for both. Her response was meh it is what it is.
  • Avidkeo
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Never purchased an energy gel in my life, until today... I've also never purchased a protein bar in my life, either, but I'm going to pick up some of those this weekend. I got a "fanny pack" now so I can stash stuff in it for long runs and ditch my husband's army camelback now. I'm doing the 18 on Sunday and I'll need all the help I can get. Any and all advice is welcome, if you have any. I'll attach my training plan...

Okay, so here is the deal... some people's GI systems react poorly to the gels, some people tolerate them fine. You will just have to experiment. I personally do not use gels because they are an icky sticky mess. Instead, I use Clif Blox which are like gummies. :) They are many different ways to consume the same basic thing. You just need to experiment to see what you like best and what you can tolerate.

My wife prefers Sweedish Fish. :)

You can use anything you want, it does not have to be a fancy exercise gel/block/etc. Real food that is simple sugars works fine AS LONG AS you are getting sufficient electrolytes from your drink. If not then the exercise specific gummies/gels/etc are better.

Some of use are what are knowns as "salty sweaters" and take salt pills + sports drink + sports food. :) But most people probably do not need that much.

I use giant jelly beans!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Never purchased an energy gel in my life, until today... I've also never purchased a protein bar in my life, either, but I'm going to pick up some of those this weekend. I got a "fanny pack" now so I can stash stuff in it for long runs and ditch my husband's army camelback now. I'm doing the 18 on Sunday and I'll need all the help I can get. Any and all advice is welcome, if you have any. I'll attach my training plan...

Okay, so here is the deal... some people's GI systems react poorly to the gels, some people tolerate them fine. You will just have to experiment. I personally do not use gels because they are an icky sticky mess. Instead, I use Clif Blox which are like gummies. :) They are many different ways to consume the same basic thing. You just need to experiment to see what you like best and what you can tolerate.

You can use anything you want, it does not have to be a fancy exercise gel/block/etc. Real food that is simple sugars works fine AS LONG AS you are getting sufficient electrolytes from your drink. If not then the exercise specific gummies/gels/etc are better.

Some of use are what are knowns as "salty sweaters" and take salt pills + sports drink + sports food. :) But most people probably do not need that much.

I'll check into and try those gummies. Lol, your wife...I like those too.
  • LoveyChar

I use giant jelly beans!

Real jelly beans? As in Easter is coming up...???
  • LoveyChar
    I'm having technical issues but once I'm not, I'll post this training plan.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited January 2020

I use giant jelly beans!

You can use regular jelly beans but they do actually make sport jelly beans too:

l8xa2vpe2qm6.png

You can find them on Amazon.com and many stores that sell sports food.
  • LoveyChar

I use giant jelly beans!

You can use regular jelly beans but they do actually make sport jelly beans too:

l8xa2vpe2qm6.png

Thank you! I'm going to Academy Sports and GNC this weekend to see what I can find. I ordered today from Amazon today and my gels will be here in the morning. I also read some food options. Bananas, dates, pretzels, fig cookies, mashed sweet potato or a regular mashed salty regular one...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @LoveyChar I wish GU made a training sized package about half the size. And it could be the thinner consistency like @7lenny7 mentioned. I don’t do the caffeine ones unless it’s a race since most of my runs were later afternoon and I didn’t want to be kept awake. I’ve used sweet tarts, oranges, G2, dates, figs, hot wings, even counted on a few well placed persimmon trees. It’s all in what works for you. I liked the sport beans. You can portion them out as needed. I think cutie oranges were my favorite. Definitely the figs when I can find ones not preserved.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited January 2020
    @LoveyChar Academy is where I buy all my gels too. I've tried the sports beans and they didn't do much for me. Early in my running career I used to down a gel, usually without water, every 45-60 minutes. More often than not I would end up with GI problems. Then I discovered consuming half of the gel, and using water to wash it down, every 30 minutes or so gave me no GI issues at all. Also, I use Gatorade chews and just keep one in my mouth for about 4-5 miles. Just to keep my mouth from drying out. Seems weird, but it works for me.
    Good luck on the 18 miler. Just take it slow, and even walk during the gel/water breaks. No shame in that!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    @LoveyChar In the summer I like frozen slices of orange. Of the various sports foods I like clifblox in the ginger flavor because it doesn’t taste too sweet, plus NUUN in my water bottle. The GUs just taste horrifying to me! My husband prefers honey stingers because they are smaller gummies and don’t need to be chewed as much. Everyone is different. In a pinch smarties also work. There are also people who swear by little packets of honey from Chik-fil-a!

If you do enough races, there’s usually stuff in the swag bag or samples at the expos, which is a cheap way of figuring out what you like. I have a giant bag full of various stuff and I don’t even race that often!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

I use giant jelly beans!

l8xa2vpe2qm6.png

Thank you! I'm going to Academy Sports and GNC this weekend to see what I can find. I ordered today from Amazon today and my gels will be here in the morning. I also read some food options. Bananas, dates, pretzels, fig cookies, mashed sweet potato or a regular mashed salty regular one...

In case you have not picked up on it yet... ANYTHING that is easy for you to digest is an option. Basically what you are looking for is two things: Sugar and Electrolytes. Some people eat pretzels, others candy, some fruit, some sports foods, and so on. A product like TailWind in your water is supposed to be 100% of all the things you need, but most products are parts of the picture that you have to build through trial and error.

Start with easy stuff like gummies and try not to over complicate your options. When you out on the run, simplicity is the name of the game. You want the simplest FOR YOU option you can manage. Also, remember not only are you carrying the fuel OUT with you, you are also carrying the wrappers and such BACK. So plan for that too. (I like to cheat and try to plan to consume fuel near public garbage cans if I can)

Have fun and find tasty stuff! :)
  • Avidkeo

I use giant jelly beans!

Can you not get jelly beans all year round? I don't get the easter reference.

Anyway I like jelly beans. Easy to carry, no packaging, tasty. Only issue is occasionally they get stuck in my teeth
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member

I use giant jelly beans!

Anyway I like jelly beans. Easy to carry, no packaging, tasty. Only issue is occasionally they get stuck in my teeth
    If I remember correctly, you are not in the US. I’m not sure about your location, but in the US jelly beans are more plentiful in the stores around Easter due to the egg shape and are often included in children’s Easter baskets. Jelly beans are available year round but are strongly associated with Easter here.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    I'm so peeved.

Our local sporting chain is having a huge sale on shoes. I checked it out.

Mens asics gel kayano, over 40% off, so only 149 down from 279! Women's gel kayano, same price. Wtf.

And of course no mens in my size. Sigh.

Did you ask them why the women's were not on sale too? Maybe they were a more current model and the sale one was sold out?

I asked, they were both the 26s so the most recent for both. Her response was meh it is what it is.
    I don't know what your options are for other running stores but I would take my business elsewhere and I would be sure the manager and owner knew why.
  • Avidkeo

I use giant jelly beans!

If I remember correctly, you are not in the US. I’m not sure about your location, but in the US jelly beans are more plentiful in the stores around Easter due to the egg shape and are often included in children’s Easter baskets. Jelly beans are available year round but are strongly associated with Easter here.

Ahhhh yeah here in NZ we don't have the same association. They are pretty readily available all year round. I have to stop buying them cause I keep eating them when not running and blowing my calories.