January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Saturday night was the Buffaglo run at Shelby Farms, an untimed fun run through the Christmas lights on the last night before they come down.

What an adventure!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Good to see you are feeling better @Emmamcgarity

Totally with you on just setting a standard @LoveyChar and I know lots of you guys want the quickest time but I am happy finishing and knowing that the pace was the best I could manage without hurting myself – though I still manage injuries somehow!

Nicely done on your 9k @Avidkeo

Great work on rolling back the clock for your 4 miler @kimlight2

Intersted in that form for shin splints @Scott6255 if you have the podcast link?

Glad you found the ‘magic’ in the end @rheddmobile

I have same dilemma @username301 as I power walked the last 0.7 miles as I stopped and picked up bread and a coffee at the shop before the end of my 12 mile run. I still counted it as I have done the miles and not every mile will be at race pace. On days when I don’t feel right if I stop to walk for part of the run then I would still count it.

Keep updating on the gels @Camaramandy648 as I’m going for a marathon in April and so far haven’t used gels but my longest run is a half and I haven’t managed any sustenance mid-run yet. My best attempt ended in a jelly belly massacre. I was given 1kg of pink shrimp and 1.5kg of jelly belly’s at Christmas so I think I’ll start with those before investing in something more “professional”.

exercise.png
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar i remember once you said how tall you are but it escapes me - but i think we are similar- I am 4 ft 11 inches, and currently weighing in at 123. I started changing my food habits when one day last year I weighed myself and I think it was like 134 or 139 or something. I have endometriosis too so what I eat affects how I feel and look to the max. The women in my family tend to develop food sensitivities in their 30s also. But my question for you is - how do you stay at 110? My “goal” weight is 115 but I’m not really unhappy with 123. I have been focusing more on running than eating and then when I eat (except the last month bc holidays) I try to focus on foods that fuel recovery.

@PastorVincent how do you run ten miles easy? And I am so glad to know it’s normal to struggle the first few miles! It’s actually a huge relief because yesterday the thought crossed my mind “well maybe I’m just not going to be a real runner. Maybe I just need to accept that I’m not that good at this.” But .... anybody who is running consistently is a runner ..... and if it’s normal to need a couple miles to get into it, then that means most everyone else goes through the same thing. It is encouraging to know I’m not alone!

And about pace: I wouldn’t even know how to build it up/ cut it back. Tips? Strategies?

@TheMrWobbly I will post again this upcoming Saturday about how the different fuel sources work. I was surprised by the gel - I had tried some other chews one time and basically didn’t feel a difference at all. But the gel and nuun tabs took me from “there is no way i can do this,” at mile 5 to, “ I feel FINE! I’m doing it!”

Very sore legs today. Very very sore but my knees don’t seem to be hurting anymore so that’s definitely something.

Good job to the rest of you on your running and getting out there to just do it!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    And about pace: I wouldn’t even know how to build it up/ cut it back. Tips? Strategies?

I am not sure I understand what your question is. Can you ask it again using different words? :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @LoveyChar i remember once you said how tall you are but it escapes me - but i think we are similar- I am 4 ft 11 inches, and currently weighing in at 123. I started changing my food habits when one day last year I weighed myself and I think it was like 134 or 139 or something. I have endometriosis too so what I eat affects how I feel and look to the max. The women in my family tend to develop food sensitivities in their 30s also. But my question for you is - how do you stay at 110? My “goal” weight is 115 but I’m not really unhappy with 123. I have been focusing more on running than eating and then when I eat (except the last month bc holidays) I try to focus on foods that fuel recovery.

A bit off-topic of this thread, but PLEASE do not compare your goal weight anyone else, even if they are the same gender/height. There are SO MANY different factors that apply. For example, I am obese by some measures, and yet if you see a picture of me you would be like "Dude, eat a cheeseburger!" :)

Pick the weight that works for YOUR body and YOUR physiology, and you will be happier and healthier.

@PastorVincent YASSS!!!! My pastor says - and most of them are saying - comparison is the thief of joy.

I don’t think about losing weight anymore. It’s not my goal - I think about strengthening muscles to improve running performance and food to aid in recovery as well as improve performance and avoid the pain and bloat of endometriosis. I have found that the more I run, the better I feel. The more I focus on putting in GOOD fuel, the better I perform. The weight game will ebb and flow the more I run and focus on these things, I think.

And I was wrong - my knees are totally sore today. EVERYTHING is. How do you all even consider a recovery run the day after a long run?!

• Camaramandy648
    Options

I am not sure I understand what your question is. Can you ask it again using different words? :)

@PastorVincent how do i get faster, lol. Even at 12 minutes outside, I am struggling. A few weeks ago it was easier - and it IS getting easier - but it still feels like maybe 85% effort. It is hard to sustain, ESPECIALLY outside. On the treadmill- not so much. But the treadmill isn’t good training for an outdoor marathon in Nashville.

It could be that I’m not trying as hard as I think I am. Maybe I just need to go outside with a focus on speed play. Which actually sounds awful today.
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @PastorVincent guess my frustration is that the last few weeks, it has seemed to be harder and not progressively easier. I’m hoping the new shoes will help with this.

If they don’t then I worry I’m doing it all wrong
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    And I was wrong - my knees are totally sore today. EVERYTHING is. How do you all even consider a recovery run the day after a long run?!

You will perform like you train. :) I have run the day before and the day after long runs, even ultras my entire running career. So when my "long-run" was 4 miles, I ran the next day. "Long run" is very relative though. Keep in mind for me, less than double-digit miles is a "short-run" for me. 10-15 is middle distances, 18-20 is the beginning of a long run. I am in a different running category than 99% of the world, so never judge yourself by what I do. :)

I can have run 20+ miles one day, and 10 the next - that 10 was WAY slower than it normally would be, but I find recovery is MUCH faster/easier when you do it like that rather than sit around.

You need to test and see what works for you. If you busted out 10 and that was your limit, make your recovery run like 3 or 4 miles. Play with it and see what works.

Before starting this plan with this coach, I ran by HOURS not MILES with "2 hours" be around how much time I spent running and pending weather, health, and location it was farther or shorter. :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 have to run, more later.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent how do i get faster, lol. Even at 12 minutes outside, I am struggling. A few weeks ago it was easier - and it IS getting easier - but it still feels like maybe 85% effort. It is hard to sustain, ESPECIALLY outside. On the treadmill- not so much. But the treadmill isn’t good training for an outdoor marathon in Nashville.

It could be that I’m not trying as hard as I think I am. Maybe I just need to go outside with a focus on speed play. Which actually sounds awful today.

If you are struggling at 12 slow down to 13 or or 14 or even slower. Run at conversational pace for your training runs. As you build endurance your conversational pace will get faster on its own. When I was doing the 10k trainer I had to go as slow as 16 just to get through it and build my cardio base. Once I built up more endurance most of my training runs were around 13. Once I started training with a group class my training runs landed around 11.

Are you following a training plan? Do you have an upcoming race?