January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @emmamcgarity i haven’t run a 5k since March 18 and I walked most of it, lol.

My best pace right now is 12:01.

I think you and @PastorVincent are right - but what happens if i don’t finish in the allotted six hours?

For a best pace 12:00 in a 5 k the chart shows that your marathon pace would be 13:51.

Training run paces as follows
    Recovery run between 14:06 and 15:05
    Easy run between 13:23 and 14:01
    Long run between 13:25 and 14:24
    Tempo run between 12:03 and 12:26

@emmamcgarity so I’m actually doing all right!?!?!?

@PastorVincent I think you’re right and I think wisdom on this is to trust people in this forum (including @emmamcgarity ) who actually know a lot more than me.

So for now I’ll just focus on running the miles.

My sister who hates running texted me with a bunch of running questions today 😎😎😎

@loveychar YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!! How did it go? What did you like best for fuel? I’m so happy for you!

Thank you! I only had GU at the time, but I bought some Sport Beans tonight. I'll try them next long run.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Hope you continue to feel better every day.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I think you and @PastorVincent are right - but what happens if i don’t finish in the allotted six hours?

For a best pace 12:00 in a 5 k the chart shows that your marathon pace would be 13:51.

@PastorVincent I think you’re right and I think wisdom on this is to trust people in this forum (including @emmamcgarity ) who actually know a lot more than me.

My sister who hates running texted me with a bunch of running questions today 😎😎😎

@loveychar YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!! How did it go? What did you like best for fuel? I’m so happy for you!

Can I ask, what's the reason for jumping straight to a marathon?

It's a nit more typical to build up, a 5k first, then maybe a 10. Definitely throw in a half marathon.

A marathon is more than just twice the length of a half. It's a full on, take over your life for months, endurance both physical but mostly mental, challenge.

I think its amazing that you are doing it, but it's not common, or advised, to go from zero to a marathon. Especially in 4 months.

I work for a school district where every year I run a 5k Fun Run, but it's never been a challenge for me. This past spring, I came home after a long run and told my husband I was signing up for a half marathon and he asked, "Why a half, why not a whole? You could do a whole... you're the strongest, most determined woman I know..." And bam, he got me and I signed up on July 13th of last year! Then his brother signed up to run with me. The 5k's are fun. I enjoy them but they're a celebratory kickoff to the school year and we all get crazy and dance in the parking lot beforehand. Many of us bring our families. I suppose if I treated it as a race it wouldn't be so fun but I like the endurance aspect of running more than the actual speed aspect.
  • LoveyChar
    Options

I think you are doing great! I’m still relatively new having only started running a year ago. But it appears you are on track according to the pace chart from my run club. I used the same pace chart to predict my 5k time after taking that running class thus Fall and it was pretty accurate. Every time I try to do more than my body is ready for I get injured.

You ARE doing great @Camaramandy648... and I, like @emmamcgarity , think you will finish ahead of a 6 hour cut off.

HOWEVER, IF YOU DO NOT - you might get a DNF on their website, but who cares? If you complete the distance, you completed the distance. Seriously. You can say "I completed a marathon in 6.5 hours" or whatever and it will be 100% valid.

Stick with your training and go for it. Push too hard and you will get injured and that will stink. So do not do that. :) That is all the wisdom you really need :)

Austin Marathon is a seven hour limit (16 minute miles) 5 hours for half. I don't know what the standard is.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

I think you are doing great! I’m still relatively new having only started running a year ago. But it appears you are on track according to the pace chart from my run club. I used the same pace chart to predict my 5k time after taking that running class thus Fall and it was pretty accurate. Every time I try to do more than my body is ready for I get injured.

You ARE doing great @Camaramandy648... and I, like @emmamcgarity , think you will finish ahead of a 6 hour cut off.

HOWEVER, IF YOU DO NOT - you might get a DNF on their website, but who cares? If you complete the distance, you completed the distance. Seriously. You can say "I completed a marathon in 6.5 hours" or whatever and it will be 100% valid.

Stick with your training and go for it. Push too hard and you will get injured and that will stink. So do not do that. :) That is all the wisdom you really need :)

Austin Marathon is a seven hour limit (16 minute miles) 5 hours for half. I don't know what the standard is.

6 or 7 is typical from what I have seen. @Camaramandy648 I believe said this marathon was 6 hours.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Can I ask, what's the reason for jumping straight to a marathon?

It's a nit more typical to build up, a 5k first, then maybe a 10. Definitely throw in a half marathon.

A marathon is more than just twice the length of a half. It's a full on, take over your life for months, endurance both physical but mostly mental, challenge.

I think its amazing that you are doing it, but it's not common, or advised, to go from zero to a marathon. Especially in 4 months.

Now you tell me - I've signed up so I'm committed to this one! :#

• PastorVincent
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I'm going to screenshot this (your words)! I'm putting it in my scrapbook, if you don't mind.

If it helps you, absolutely go ahead.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @LoveyChar I am sorry to hear about all you went through. You really are a strong woman to have survived all that!