January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Intersted in that form for shin splints @Scott6255 if you have the podcast link?

It was the Runner's Connect "Run to the Top" podcast episode "Start With Your Big Toe and Get Those Feet Involved for Better Running: Jay Dicharry". Don't know what app you use to listen to podcast, but here is the link on the web. Some of it is a promotion for his Mobo training board, so take from that what you want.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    And about pace: I wouldn’t even know how to build it up/ cut it back. Tips? Strategies?

I am not sure I understand what your question is. Can you ask it again using different words? :)

@PastorVincent how do i get faster, lol. Even at 12 minutes outside, I am struggling. A few weeks ago it was easier - and it IS getting easier - but it still feels like maybe 85% effort. It is hard to sustain, ESPECIALLY outside. On the treadmill- not so much. But the treadmill isn’t good training for an outdoor marathon in Nashville.

It could be that I’m not trying as hard as I think I am. Maybe I just need to go outside with a focus on speed play. Which actually sounds awful today.

If you are struggling at 12 slow down to 13 or or 14 or even slower. Run at conversational pace for your training runs. As you build endurance your conversational pace will get faster on its own. When I was doing the 10k trainer I had to go as slow as 16 just to get through it and build my cardio base. Once I built up more endurance most of my training runs were around 13. Once I started training with a group class my training runs landed around 11.

Are you following a training plan? Do you have an upcoming race?

@emmamcgarity yes! I finished C25K and am now doing the 10K trainer while incorporating long runs on the weekends - marathon April 25!!!!

This is all good advice! I have a really short stride and i don’t know how to change that so I’ll be still running at 14 or sixteen minutes. Sixteen minutes for me is walking really fast.

I’m trying to get my pace down because I think the time limit for the marathon is 6 hours!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Just found this group and I could use some help with accountability, so here goes!

Just starting back up with running after having done a couple of triathlons about 10 years ago. The running seems to have been correlated with lower back pain that has been with me ever since (likely due to tight hip flexors). I hated the running part so I wasn't sad to give it up, but I've always wanted to like running, so I decided to try again recently. Found the None 2 Run program and decided to give it another go.

Unfortunately, I was really dumb on the first run and didn't stretch out beforehand and ended up with some really weird hip pain. I ran a few more times after that, but decided to give myself some time to heal. I've now decided it's time to try again, but the spectre of that hip pain has me a bit anxious.

Anyway, my goal for January is to stretch every day and to stick with the None 2 Run plan, so interval running 3 times a week on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. With a slightly longer term goal of running a 5k in my neighborhood at the end of March.

Hopefully having this group to report to will helpe keep going!

Welcome!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    And about pace: I wouldn’t even know how to build it up/ cut it back. Tips? Strategies?

I am not sure I understand what your question is. Can you ask it again using different words? :)

@PastorVincent how do i get faster, lol. Even at 12 minutes outside, I am struggling. A few weeks ago it was easier - and it IS getting easier - but it still feels like maybe 85% effort. It is hard to sustain, ESPECIALLY outside. On the treadmill- not so much. But the treadmill isn’t good training for an outdoor marathon in Nashville.

It could be that I’m not trying as hard as I think I am. Maybe I just need to go outside with a focus on speed play. Which actually sounds awful today.

If you are struggling at 12 slow down to 13 or or 14 or even slower. Run at conversational pace for your training runs. As you build endurance your conversational pace will get faster on its own. When I was doing the 10k trainer I had to go as slow as 16 just to get through it and build my cardio base. Once I built up more endurance most of my training runs were around 13. Once I started training with a group class my training runs landed around 11.

@emmamcgarity yes! I finished C25K and am now doing the 10K trainer while incorporating long runs on the weekends - marathon April 25!!!!

This is all good advice! I have a really short stride and i don’t know how to change that so I’ll be still running at 14 or sixteen minutes. Sixteen minutes for me is walking really fast.

I’m trying to get my pace down because I think the time limit for the marathon is 6 hours!

Do you have a specific training plan you are following for the marathon? I haven’t run a marathon but based on the plans I’ve read 14 miles might be too far for you right now for a long run. Are you almost done with the 10k trainer?
  • Camaramandy648
    Options

Do you have a specific training plan you are following for the marathon? I haven’t run a marathon but based on the plans I’ve read 14 miles might be too far for you right now for a long run. Are you almost done with the 10k trainer?

@emmamcgarity yep! I have a 24 week marathon schedule that I have been incorporating as well. I’m sure I’ve made this much more difficult on myself that I should have, but I’ve found that if I don’t have something pushing me - even a box to check to say I completed that day’s run, it is hard to feel like I should get out. So I have all these little goals to reach on my way to the big one. According to the marathon plan, I’m exactly where I should be in terms of distance. According to the 10K trainer, I’m just doing ten minute running intervals with 1 minute walking in between, just coming off running the full 5k distance with no walking.

Upcoming weekend is 15 miles followed by a cutback week.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options

@emmamcgarity yep! I have a 24 week marathon schedule that I have been incorporating as well. I’m sure I’ve made this much more difficult on myself that I should have, but I’ve found that if I don’t have something pushing me - even a box to check to say I completed that day’s run, it is hard to feel like I should get out. So I have all these little goals to reach on my way to the big one. According to the marathon plan, I’m exactly where I should be in terms of distance. According to the 10K trainer, I’m just doing ten minute running intervals with 1 minute walking in between, just coming off running the full 5k distance with no walking.

Upcoming weekend is 15 miles followed by a cutback week.

Are you doing the 10k trainer in addition to your marathon plan? Or are you counting the miles from the 10k trainer in your marathon plan?
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @emmamcgarity i am counting the 10K miles in the marathon plan. For instance if tomorrow I run six miles, I will do the first three or four with the 10K trainer in my ear and then finish out the rest as part of the marathon schedule.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    @emmamcgarity i am counting the 10K miles in the marathon plan. For instance if tomorrow I run six miles, I will do the first three or four with the 10K trainer in my ear and then finish out the rest as part of the marathon schedule.

Thanks for clarifying. Are you using a specific walk/run intervals strategy? Or are you walking when overtired from running? (I am also someone that does well with a plan or a list of boxes to check. I do think slowing down is going to help significantly, but you might want to table to 10k trainer for now if it’s clouding your marathon plan).

• Camaramandy648
    Options

Thanks for clarifying. Are you using a specific walk/run intervals strategy? Or are you walking when overtired from running? (I am also someone that does well with a plan or a list of boxes to check. I do think slowing down is going to help significantly, but you might want to table to 10k trainer for now if it’s clouding your marathon plan).

@emmamcgarry1888 that’s another thing - my marathon plan just has # of miles per running day- no specified pace or intervals. I think it would serve me better if i had a better plan for it, aside from just getting the miles in
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @johnisrunning good job!!!!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options

@emmamcgarry1888 that’s another thing - my marathon plan just has # of miles per running day- no specified pace or intervals. I think it would serve me better if i had a better plan for it, aside from just getting the miles in

The training plan my running group used with marathoners had a pace chart that appears to be from Jack Daniels. My “Believe Journal” (which is amazing btw) also includes a pace chart. I would think if you just continue to train at conversational pace you’ll build up your endurance. And that to me seems more important than pace in this situation. I’d save the speedwork for shorter runs maybe once a week. What is your current 5k race time? I could look it up on the chart from my run club if you like.

• johnisrunning
    johnisrunning Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    @johnisrunning good job!!!!

Thanks! :)