Late 50s

Options
Hard to fine motivation what are some things I can do for motivation I just don’t have the push like I once had get older and can feel it any tips thank you in advance 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,408 Member
    Options
    Log your food daily, some weigh out their food (I don't I just have smaller portions) also by logging you can see how many calories you are actually having each day ,exercise even if it's a walk or go up and down stairs a few extra times but do something each day, add friends so you can see what they are doing ut helped motivate me as normally I give up after a few months but this time they have encouraged me. Good luck you can add me if you want I'm 57 retired married.
  • sandramunsters
    sandramunsters Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go to a clothing store (one you can easily afford), find items you like but are 1-2 sizes too small. Hang them where you can see them every morning.
    Make snacks/meals ahead of time, when you just ate the last one.
    Pledge to drink water first before eating, to see if you were really just thirsty.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Don't try to revolutionize your life in one swoop. Break the goal down into small pieces. Find manageable changes you can make gradually, small things that are pretty easy, and just keep building on those. Take advantage of whatever you've learned about your own strengths and weaknesses over the course of your life, to "game" yourself into success. Maturity can be an aid to success.

I came to MFP at age 59, after around 3 decades of obesity, and lost nearly 1/3 of my bodyweight in less than a year. Now, at age 64, I've remained at a healthy weight for nearly 5 years since I started that process. It can be done. And the benfits are huge: My formerly high cholesterol/triglycerids/blood pressure are normal, my osteoarthritis is now minimally noticeable most of the time, and more.

Read the "most helpful posts" section (also called "stickies") in the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness, and Diet" parts of the forums, for how-to tips. (There's gold in there: It's posts from regular MFP users, nominated by other regular users to be "stickies". Great stuff!). Here are direct links:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

For encouragement, read about successes in the "Success Stories" part of the forums. There are great ones, including from people our age.

You can do this, if you want to.

Best wishes!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,005 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I'm 55 and turning my bad health to good health was all the motivation I needed. When I heard the words "You are pre-diabetic" , I never looked back!
  • tburgess242002
    tburgess242002 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input i’ve logged 1925 days straight overall I lost 87 pounds I was really unhealthy when I start it been doing this for a while as you can see I drink 17 glass or bottles of water a day my hardest part is to keep the inspiration up I do portion control some days I just don’t want to do it but I rember were I was not going back to that I had seven difference symptoms from diabetes to high blood pressure drink so much water it washed away my blood panel Doctor said cut back on the water and eat more Salt 🧂can’t do that blood pressure goes up thank you all so much 👍👍👍

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,408 Member
    Options
    Go to a clothing store (one you can easily afford), find items you like but are 1-2 sizes too small. Hang them where you can see them every morning.
    Make snacks/meals ahead of time, when you just ate the last one.
    Pledge to drink water first before eating, to see if you were really just thirsty.

Great advice
  • sandramunsters
    sandramunsters Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I could do for a bit of my own advice some days.