Which yogurt would you chose?

Options

Replies

• MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would do without rather than buy either. I buy CarbMaster Yogurt at Kroger. There are a lot of stores that carry it.

Low sugar-3g / Low carb- 4g / great protein-8g. Delicious flavors. My whole family loves it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kroger-carbmaster-strawberry-yogurt-50695384
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Neither...Greek all the way!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    When you look at the containers, which one do you really want to grab?

Eat that one.

3g of protein in the grand scheme of an entire DAY is not a big deal.

I was reading through this super serious yogurt thread and found out that someone already answered for me. Thanks, karincakes. :happy:

And I would "choose" one, not "chose." "Chose" is used for past these, "choose" is present tense. Since we are being so serious in here, I felt a need to correct your grammar. My apologies.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    None..I'd sooner have ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Eat whichever one you want, and ignore the people saying don't eat sugar, they're being ridiculous again and don't even understand what they're saying.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    neither. but I know that isn't the answer you want.
    Personally for me I would do 2 because the lower sodium.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'd eat which ever taste better/cost less but, to be fair, I don't go around demonizing sugar or have an issue with added fruit. Nor do I eat things that don't taste good. Plain Greek yogurt is nasty until I put a crap load of sugar and fruit in it (which is why i only use it in a protein shake where it's taste is thoroughly masked), might as well buy it with the fruit already mixed in and save some money.
    You, ma'am, have failed.

Oddly enough I get that a lot in food and nutrition. I sometimes ponder it (and how my food choices make me unhealthy and are killing me and something about wheat bellies) while eating my nightly ice cream and highly processed, overly sweet, and calorie dense ready bake cookies.

....That's a lie. I never think about such things, cause I think food extremism is silly. ...
    /glances around thread
    Yep
  • dougless
    Options
    Option 2 would be my choice of the two personally ... as long as you remain in your target calorie range. Less (added presumably) sugar, more protein.

It has been beaten to death already by others, but both are too high in sugar/carbs relative to the protein and calories IMO. There are better choices if you are eating yogurt regularly for nutrition instead of a treat/dessert. But as always, if it is a treat ... moderation is key. Enjoy!
  • christinavincentmullins
    Options
    I use Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt with 2x protein. Only 80 calories, 55 sodium, 8 carbs, 6 sugar, and 12 protein. Really good and if you don't like fruit there is a vanilla one or a banana cream one that is smooth and taste like banana pudding. I use salt free seasoned plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Option 2 would be my choice of the two personally ... as long as you remain in your target calorie range. Less (added presumably) sugar, more protein.

It has been beaten to death already by others, but both are too high in sugar/carbs relative to the protein and calories IMO. There are better choices if you are eating yogurt regularly for nutrition instead of a treat/dessert. But as always, if it is a treat ... moderation is key. Enjoy!

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    All yogurt contains some sugar and sodium, even plain yogurt. I would go with the yogurt that has the most protein and fat, and the least sugar. My preference is for plain whole milk yogurt, but it isn't always available at my local stores.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't think the difference between those two is significant. What you eat depends on your goals. If you're eating a low-fat diet, eat Greek yogurt. If it's between those two, eat the one that tastes better.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ....That's a lie. I never think about such things, cause I think food extremism is silly. ...
    /glances around thread
    Yep

Especially when you're presented with two things that are essentially exactly the same and insisting one is better than the other.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If one of them is frozen yogurt, I pick that one.

If not, which one tastes better?

If neither, then don't eat.

If both, eat both.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Out of the two, I would choose neither. But if I had to pick one, it would be the one with the 8g protein.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I don't understand you people at all. I'm not trying to be negative. Its just that it seems well. like a lot of sodium and sugars in your Yogurt.

Here is what I do.
    I have two goats that I have specifically for goat milk to make yogurt. If they dry up, then its goat jerky time, but that's another thread.

This is all you need.
    Goat milk
    Starter Yogurt (I buy it online)

You just heat up the goat milk to 180 degrees,

Pour milk and starter into mason jars.

Let it sit for 8 hours

Refrigerate

Eat!

This isn't that hard to do and its soo much better than the mass produced stuff in the stores.

29.gif
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    One with more fat will help you feel fuller longer even if it has a little more calories and it will also help slow down the absorption of the sugar. I prefer to get yogurt with less sugar because when I do eat foods with sugar I want it to make it count and be a treat.

I get full fat whole milk Fage plain greek yogurt. I don't like all the other crap that usually always ends up going along with adding in flavorings for packaged foods. They never just throw in just fruit, there is always some other junk that has to go with it for maintaining shelf life. It isn't that hard to throw in some fresh or frozen berries into my yogurt or maybe a drizzle of honey and some cinnamon.

Most of the low-fat no-fat yogurt is *kitten* anyways. I hated eating yogurt until I finally tried real full fat yogurt. It is really creamy and very filling. I can never eat a full serving at a time which also helps control portions vs the sugar bombs most yogurt is. 1/4 to 1/3 cup is enough for me.

Don't tell me that sugar doesn't matter. Most people wouldn't need to snack every other hour if they'd stop eating low-fat no-fat snacks with added sugar like most popular yogurts. Your body uses a very small amount and the rest gets stored away as body fat to get your blood sugar down because it rushes in too quick. Having the fat helps slow that down so your body doesn't get too sharp of a spike in blood sugar.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Don't tell me that sugar doesn't matter. Most people wouldn't need to snack every other hour if they'd stop eating low-fat no-fat snacks with added sugar like most popular yogurts.

I eat key lime Oikos every morning. The NI (sugar included) is above. It keeps me satisfied until lunch, when I usually eat a salad with some dark chocolate and peanut butter. And then I am not hungry again until dinner time, when I eat something else filling and healthy, followed by a fruit smoothie (the fruit alone is probably double my daily recommendation of sugar) and I'm good to go until the next day.

I don't snack. I'm not starving or even a little hungry most of the day.

The sugar doesn't seem to have any negative affect on me at all. I guess I'm just special. :-)

Or ... I'm not an emotional or binge eater, like many overweight people are.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is a good thing that you have found what works good for you. I usually have a daily "treat" as well, a 1/2 serving of 85% dark chocolate. I wasn't responding specifically to you, mostly at the general replies as a whole. In the end your choice of yogurts likely isn't going to be the biggest factor in whether or not you're losing weight. For those that are still having trouble with hunger and not getting results then I would start scrutinizing your choices more.

What often happens when someone goes and has a low-fat/no-fat snack they think they can go ahead and snack a little more on something else or eat an extra portion.
  • rml_16
    Options
    That is a good thing that you have found what works good for you. I usually have a daily "treat" as well, a 1/2 serving of 85% dark chocolate. I wasn't responding specifically to you, mostly at the general replies as a whole.

Yes, but you demonized an entire food that isn't really worthy of demonizing.

The 17 grams of sugar in my morning yogurt do not cause me to snack all day. Many people snack all day because of habit or addiction of some kind, not because they're actually hungry and not because they ate something with sugar.