Curiosity - resting heart rate

So generally speaking, a normal resting heart rate is between 60 and 100 beats per minute. And generally a lower resting heart rate is associated with a better fitness level.

So I'm curious, what are the actual resting heart rates of people here?
What's your resting heart rate?
What's your BMI and fitness level?
Have you seen your resting heart rate evolve with weight loss or exercise?

I've noticed that my own resting heart rate is about 55, despite still being obese (BMI 30.5) and not very fit at all (although fitter than a few months ago). It's gone down about 5 beats per minute since October, not sure what my heart rate was before then, mid 60's I think. In October I weighed 10lbs more and I had been doing cardio (walking on treadmill) regularly for 2 months.

Replies

• Harold76
    Harold76 Posts: 341 Member
    Mine is about 66 currently. I've lost 55lbs and my BMI is about 29.6.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Mine is around 50 (usual range is between 48 and 52, sometimes as low as 45, higher if I've been drinking). BMI about 26, pretty fit (lots of endurance cycling).
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    BMI 26.8
    Resting <3 61
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    BMI 24.2
    RHR 58
  • sarahsgoal2020
    sarahsgoal2020 Posts: 11 Member
    How do you find out?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Mine is 53 now. It was 56 at the beginning of last year. I am still technically obese but now just barely. I do not keep up with my BMI. I would describe my current level of fitness as fair.

My fitness has steadily improved. It started at appalling in early 2018. Last year this time when my RHR was 56 it had improved to poor.

• LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    How do you find out?

You can find your BMI by googling BMI chart. Input your weight and height.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Current RHR avg 48, started around 57 in August/September.

BMI 26.5 (was just over 29 in Aug/Sept).

Fitness level: I run 2-3 miles two or theee times a week, bike 20-40 minutes once or twice a week, and various activities as they come up (Ultimate Frisbee, Flag Football, etc).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    I use Fitbit resting heart rate which is defined proprietarily, and is higher than the traditional first thing before you get up.

At maintenance it hovers between 62 and 68. If I am above 65 I expect to see a scale increase, and 63 or lower a scale decrease. During the time I was losing weight it got as low as 50.

According to Fitbit my cardio health is excellent for a man my age and I get a proprietary score of 51.

I think this is colored by expectations! Though I would rate my current cardio health for moderate exercise as good, my smoking 18 yo self would... smoke me at more intense cardio!

I am currently maintaining within normal weight and around the high to mid 23s after Christmas

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Resting HR: 61
    BMI: 23.9
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    My Fitbit says between 60 and 65. This is much lower than I expected. Due to white coat syndrome, I always assumed my resting heart rate was high (80 - 100).

BMI is 22. 55 years old. Medium (medium-low, maybe) fitness level.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,367 Member
    My resting heart rate is in the mid 50's to low 60's, if I adhere to my plan. A weekend of overindulgence (loads more carbs and calories, drinking) produces an upswing in resting rate of about 10 bpm, which resolves when I re-adhere, lol.

My BMI is over 40 and I make an effort to get more than 7500 steps per day, usually exceeding 10k. I do no intentional exercise other than the walking included in my steps.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited January 2020
    I exercise every day and my resting heart is around 55-60 on average now. BMI is 24.8
    when I was 93 lbs heavier, my resting heart was around 95 with a BMI of 36.9
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    It's high 40s to more usually low 50s now, at BMI 22-point-something (5'5", around 135 pounds +/-), and was around the same when I was BMI 30.4/obese (183 pounds).

That may seem odd, but I'd already been quite athletically active for a dozen plus years when I was obese, about as active then as now; and I was a little younger then than now (late 50s, vs. 64). So, it's about the same HR.

I assume it had evolved with exercise, but I don't have data from my early 40s (pretty sendentary, already long obese).

How fit am I? Dunno. OK, I guess. I don't believe it literally, but my Garmin - that flatterer! 😉 - says my VO2max is 36, my fitness age is 38, and that that's top 10% for my age/gender. (I find that very unlikely. 🤪😆🤣)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    43 years old, BMI 26, RHR in the mid-40's per my Garmin and its green light magic.

At one point I was down another 20-25 pounds from where I am now and my RHR was in the 38-40 range, albeit I was eating a little less-un-healthy than I am now and was running 30+ miles per week (my running has fallen off to ~20 miles per week and I eat more junk).