lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So just had pizza for dinner, and I actually weighed my pizza before eating it. I had 2 slices (one regular size, one small) that weighed 93 grams.

According to Pizza Hut, 100 grams of pepperoni Pizza is 190 calories.

So my 2 slices were only 176 calories??

Would you believe that?

For the record, one slice is supposed to be 72 grams, and the small slice I was was the typical tiny slice. So I'd believe that the weights are the cooked weight.

ETA this is where I got the nutrition information. We are talking about a pepperoni pan pizza. Maybe I read it wrong?

https://www.pizzahut.co.nz/nutritional-content

I'm in NZ. I've logged 2 slices at 183 calories per slice. Cause rather guess over than under

What is the source of your "according to Pizza Hut" information?

On their website (in the U.S.), the nutritional information is per slice, but if you click on "more info" you get a pop-up that includes the weight of a slice, and I've looked at a half dozen or so, and 100 g of various types of pepperoni pizza (different crusts) range from about 210 kcal to 240 kcal, and if you get the pepperoni lovers, it's more like 280 kcal per 100 g.

This is the site pizzahut.com took me to when I click on full menu nutrition.

These numbers align with those that show up for Pizza Hut and other brands of pepperoni pizza on the USDA nutrition site.

I included the website with the information in my OP. I'm in NZ.

They provide info per slice and tell you the weight of each slice, and per 100g.

If the US data is 210 - 240 calories per 100g of pizza then my NZ equivalent of 190 calories probably is fairly accurate then given inevitable difference in ratios of topping vs base etc

I VPN'd into NZ to see your nutritional info and you're not lying, that's what the site says. I just... have a hard time believing it. Or that if it's true, that that's pizza. Less than 40 combined grams of fat, protein, and carbs? That means close to 60% water content. Is it basically tomato sauce, with a side of dough and cheese? The US numbers are 291 per 100g, which is a pretty sizeable difference. It's hard for me to imagine what 190 calories per 100g pizza tastes like.

ETA: The US Pizza hut site is saying 260 per 100g, not 290. But that's still a pretty big difference.

The US portion sizes are extremely large compared to other countries. Just look at their soda sizes compared to ours. So it’s no shock that their portion sizes for pizza will be smaller than the US.

This is about 100g to 100g comparisons. Has nothing to do with portion size.

You’re right. I should have explained my thought process better. They’re changing the ratio of things to make it less calorie dense compared to the US counterpart. Plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if their pizza was less greasy as well. That’s what I was getting at about portion, portion of the ingredients. I should have worded that better.

Unless it's a big pile of tomato sauce with a few croutons, some grated cheese, and a single wafer thin slice of pepperoni ... I'm not seeing it. It's still 100 g of something, and all the components of a pepperoni pizza other than tomato sauce (i.e., bread base, cheese, and pepperoni) are substantially more than 190 calories per 100 g.

In the U.S., tomato sauce might account for 10% to 15% of the weight of a pizza, if they're fairly heavy handed (by U.S. standards). The match does not work to pull the calories down unless there's a whole lot more tomato sauce on a New Zealand pizza. Or they're putting some other heavy but low-calorie ingredient on it.

I find the 100 g slices suspicious -- just a weirdly even number for a slice to happen to come out to. What is the diameter (or length and width if rectangular) of this pizza? How many slices is is cut into? Would you describe the crust as thin and crispy, hand-tossed, or pan?

they're not 100 gram slices, just nutrition per 100 grams (that's a standard number to use). The picture of that pizza looks pretty close to what Pizza Hutt serves here. It does feel like it has more moisture than other pizza places, but it's still a bit weird. I thought if I at least get the bread out of the equation since it's usually a known number we may be able to estimate how many calories would be left for all the toppings. My only issue the tomato sauce moisture soaked into the bread, so I'm still unsure how to do it.

OK, but the point is that if the only component (sauce) of a pizza that has fewer calories per 100 g than the 190 calories per 100 g that the nutritional information states for the pizza, and all the other components (dough, cheese, pepperoni) have substantially more than 190 calories per 100 g, the only way for the pizza calorie information to be right would be for sauce to make up a substantial proportion of the pizza by weight, and that's not the case in any pizza I'm familiar with.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Out of curiosity, today I made pizza for the very first time. Ingredients: dough, sauce, cheese, ham, and bell peppers. The dough was store bought (not too thin, not too thick, average I guess). I weighed and logged all the ingredients and I got 191 calories per 100 grams. Not bad, I think.
    I may do this more often, it's not as yummy as a pizza from my favorite restaurant, but it's definitely easier to log. ;)

ETA: That being said, perhaps the info that NZ Pizza Hut is showing isn't *that* far off. Which, I have to admit, sounded a bit low to me at first.
    I still think that store-bought/restaurant pizza is the hardest thing to log or estimate, and that's one of the reasons I wanted to try and do this at home, and see what numbers I'd get.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, today I made pizza for the very first time. Ingredients: dough, sauce, cheese, ham, and bell peppers. The dough was store bought (not too thin, not too thick, average I guess). I weighed and logged all the ingredients and I got 191 calories per 100 grams. Not bad, I think.
    I may do this more often, it's not as yummy as a pizza from my favorite restaurant, but it's definitely easier to log. ;)

ETA: That being said, perhaps the info that NZ Pizza Hut is showing isn't *that* far off. Which, I have to admit, sounded a bit low to me at first.
    I still think that store-bought/restaurant pizza is the hardest thing to log or estimate, and that's one of the reasons I wanted to try and do this at home, and see what numbers I'd get.

Thanks that's really helpful!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

This sounds as though you got 191 calories per 100 grams of raw ingredients. Did you actually use the recipe builder, then weigh the cooked pizza, and divide that by 100 to get the number of servings, and enter that in the recipe building? Because the weight of the cooked pizza will be less than the sum of the weights of the raw ingredients.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    So we are visiting family atm. Which meant we got pizza tonight.

This is half the pizza - they are advertised as 10.5"
    i5z6b0a0vdd7.jpg

I took one of the standard pieces and weighed it. It was 54 grams.
    36h0vrvsmao4.jpg

The pepperoni was 3 grams. The cheese was 10 grams. The base was 41 grams.

So the total calories. Could actually be pretty close. When you look at the size of the slice, it's very small.

I hope you all appreciate my pizza surgery for science. I lost one of the pepperoni pieces when I tried reassembling it. May we please have a moment of silence for our fallen subject.

My kids ate the rest of the pizza on their own. So that's a win.

Cool! Thank you for doing this. We don't buy pizza often so I was waiting anxiously for there to be an occasion where everyone is busy and we end up ordering pizza. It's as I suspected earlier, they're listing slice (standard 70 gram) calories as 100 gram calories. It's a 54 gram slice and the calories are already more than 130 (roughly guesstimating) even if you account for the sauce so 100 grams has more than 190.

Edited to spoiler images
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options

This sounds as though you got 191 calories per 100 grams of raw ingredients. Did you actually use the recipe builder, then weigh the cooked pizza, and divide that by 100 to get the number of servings, and enter that in the recipe building? Because the weight of the cooked pizza will be less than the sum of the weights of the raw ingredients.

The 191 calories per 100 grams that I got is of raw ingredients, correct. I didn't weigh the cooked pizza, I assumed there wouldn't be a huge difference. Unlike rice or pasta, that absorb water when cooked and thus have a very different caloric value when weighed, do you think the difference would be significant in pizza? I mean, sure, some of the moisture in the dough and sauce will evaporate while in the oven, but I didn't think that was enough to make a noticeable difference.