When craving soda, what do you reach for besides water?

Options
I hate to say this, but I am addicted to soda. I have cut down to 1 a day and just went 4 days without one. But I craved it and it would drive me nuts. I do not drink diet sodas, yuck! How does everyone replace soda, I know everyone will say water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day but it still does not give me that satisfaction of a good cold Coca-Cola.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but I am addicted to soda. I have cut down to 1 a day and just went 4 days without one. But I craved it and it would drive me nuts. I do not drink diet sodas, yuck! How does everyone replace soda, I know everyone will say water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day but it still does not give me that satisfaction of a good cold Coca-Cola.

Since you can obviously drink soda in moderation, I'd reach for a soda or a beer
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I go for un-sweetened ice tea, still not soda but changes it up from plain old water.

ETA: I do have 2-3 diet sodas a day... I agree the others that have said if it fits in your allowances, go for it.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke. I know you don't like it haha but you do get used to the taste. OR if you want to avoid pop all together (generally a good idea), try flavoured water - or the crystal light flavouring stuff. Even make your own flavoured water - fresh fruit and mint leaves in a jug of water overnight is amazing.

You could reach for fruit smoothies or almond milk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Since you can obviously drink soda in moderation, I'd reach for a soda or a beer

This. As long as you can fit it in your calorie profile, go for it. If it makes you feel better, I drink 2 diet dews a day and finish each day with a Klondike bar.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    I've been addicted to soda as well.
    Starting out is hard, but you're doing a fantastic job of drinking in moderation now.
    Pretty soon you will be able to ween yourself off of it and it will be easier.

But for me, I replace it with these little "sugar free fruit punch" drink things, you can buy them at walmart or Kroger they're usually by the Kool-aid you can put them in a big jug of water, just like Kool-aid. They're 5 calories per 8oz serving and they are delicious.

Now, if it's the fizzy-ness you crave, I usually reach for the White Zero Calorie Monster Energy, it tastes like Sprite with an extra kick. :)

Hope this helps.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options

This. As long as you can fit it in your calorie profile, go for it. If it makes you feel better, I drink 2 diet dews a day and finish each day with a Klondike bar.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Diet Coke, make room in your calories for one real coke a day. That's more calories then I want to drink, but there is no reason you should have to give it up if it means that much to you.

If it fits your macros…
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to drink several a day, be it something that came with lunch, a can, or out of the bottle. I'd be probably 500 to 700 calories a day just in soda, pretty much every day, almost always regular Coke (never diet anything).

I had tried to cut back before to a glass a day and then every other day, but until recently (joined MFP about 2-3 weeks ago) it didn't really work. I think part of the success this time has been to grab a water bottle (a few actually), and keep them with me. Whenever it gets empty, I pretty much make sure to fill it up. Sometimes I use those MIO flavorings, though I try to not go to heavy on that. I do find that adding something can make it a little more palatable and less boring. Also, I try to make sure I have some ice in it to keep it cold. Nothing less appealing than warm, plain, stale water! :-) Also, at restaurants, don't be afraid to ask for water with lemon, unsweetend iced tea, etc. Even if I find myself on the road having to grab something at a drive through, realizing I can say, "a bottle of water instead of soda please" has made a difference.

With that said, I'm down to about one glass of soda a week. If I go out to a restaurant, I don't refill it. When I have a craving, I kind of thing, "well, remember you're going to have to log this, which will mean you'll have to work it off, why don't you wait" and generally by delaying it, the urge passes and I go on to something else. That said, with any food or drinks, if I REALLY want it, I have it. Driving yourself crazy won't be successful. Having a moderate amount of that "comfort food/drink" once in a while seems to be much more sensible.

Good luck.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Have you tried club soda? I find most of the time I just want the bubbles. You can jazz it up with cucumber, lime, or strawberries, etc. if you like. It's working for me.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I too am addicted to soda. I try to drink seltzer. iced tea(no sugar), or even a diet soda(never liked it before but if I am really craving soda, yes). I try to limit myself to 2-3 real sodas a week. It is tough. I use to drink 2-3 a day. If you can fit it in your calorie goals then I say it is ok.GL
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    All good ideas. I crave and crave and crave and then when I do have a soda, I feel like I ruined my whole diet.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Are you craving sweet taste or caffeine?

Figure out what exactly you're craving and it's easier to determine an alternative. Obviously plain water won't provide either of those options.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I go for un-sweetened ice tea, still not soda but changes it up from plain old water.

This!^

You can make loads of different flavors.... I like Lipton (Black) Bavarian Wild Berry & also Lipton Green Red Goji & Raspberry. If the water temp. is not too high, you will have a nice smooth flavor.

Also sparkling water ..... Klarbrunn is tasty. It's flavored, but NOT sweetened. The black cherry is my favorite (Target sell it).
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I drink soda when I'm craving soda...I do drink diet. You could probably get used to it by starting with half and half. Once you do get used to it the regular stuff tastes horrible.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I too am addicted to soda. I try to drink seltzer. iced tea(no sugar), or even a diet soda(never liked it before but if I am really craving soda, yes). I try to limit myself to 2-3 real sodas a week. It is tough. I use to drink 2-3 a day. If you can fit it in your calorie goals then I say it is ok.GL

I used to drink 6 or more a day. So quitting is hard for me.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Why not carbonated water? You can put in a few drops of juice and change the flavor a lot.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Are you craving sweet taste or caffeine?

Figure out what exactly you're craving and it's easier to determine an alternative. Obviously plain water won't provide either of those options.

I am craving the sweet smooth taste.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I was never really addicted to Soda, I just kinda like it. I just want to point out that while I can hardly stand Diet Coke, I drink Coke Zero maybe once a week.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Why not carbonated water? You can put in a few drops of juice and change the flavor a lot.

I have never had carbonated water. Could you add the mio drops to it? or any flavor enhancer?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I just drink diet soda myself and don't think twice about it.