When craving soda, what do you reach for besides water?

Options

Replies

• GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have you tried club soda? I find most of the time I just want the bubbles. You can jazz it up with cucumber, lime, or strawberries, etc. if you like. It's working for me.
    That's what I do too. I also rub some ginger in it occasionally, which tastes better than it maybe sounds.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink tea.

But honestly, I had this same problem. I would drink four to five sodas a day. You don't have to cut back entirely, have a soda in moderation.
  • hironsd
    hironsd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Dry Soda? http://www.drysoda.com/
  • totallydelirious
    Options
    It could be the caffeine that you're getting withdrawals from and craving! If you like tea/coffee try drinking them instead (or learn to like them!)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of LeCroix? It's fruit flavored carbonated water, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners and no caffeine. Grapefruit and Lime are my favorites. It also comes in Lemon, Coconut, Peach-Pear, Orange and Berry.

ETA: also, zero calories
  • chels_bels13
    Options
    My roommates and I drink flavored selzter water. Still get the bubbles and non of the calories :D
  • niki23poet
    niki23poet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I go to flavored seltzer. That seems to always do the trick when I'm craving something bubbly with with flavor.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I like flavored "seltzers" like Poland Spring. Mostly I just like the bubbles.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    If I want soda, I drink a Diet Coke.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I am glad I didn't get negative and rude posts, which I see a lot of. Carbonated water with flavor may be good. Does it come in Cola flavor? haha
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was always against diet soda, too (and I only drank maybe a half a can of soda daily), but because a can of regular Dr. Pepper has 150 calories and Diet Dr. Pepper has zero, I finally made the switch to diet. (After a lifetime of chanting, "Ew, diet soda! I'll never drink that!")

I don't like regular diet "colas", but Dr. Pepper has that little extra bit of flavor (did you know that the Dr. Pepper flavor is from prunes?!?) that gives it the edge over other diet sodas for me. It gives me the little bit of what I crave without the calories.

A friend drinks flavored seltzer water but I tried it and it's just not sweet enough. But maybe try that w/ some Splenda, Truvia or Stevia thrown in?
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love soda, nothing better than a can of Diet Pepsi. I'm trying to cut back though, so I bought some Advocare "Spark" (fruit punch flavor)....pretty tasty stuff.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Get the calorie free flavored sparkling waters or seltzer water. You get that sparkle like you are drinking pop.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't beieve so many of you are suggesting artificial sweeteners as the substitute. So many studies have determined that people who drink diet pop are more often overweight than those who don't.

Artificial Sweeteners INCREASE Your Risk of Obesity

"Contrary to popular belief, research has shown that artificial sweeteners can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In fact, diet sodas may actually double your risk of obesity!"
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/04/joseph-mercola/artificial-sweeteners-encourage-weight-gain/
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    While we are on the subject of what to drink, my daily go-to drink is Bengal Spice herbal tea (Celestial Seasonings). It has a very pleasant, mildly sweet and spicy flavor and zero calories. I put a teabag in each of five 16 ounce glass bottles, dump some boiling water in to cover, let it sit for a bit, then as I'm ready to drink it, I fill the bottle with cold water and it's grab and go. The flavor becomes smoother and more robust the longer it sits. :drinker:
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Since diet soda give me the worst headaches, I opt for unsweetened fruit ice tea or flavored seltzer waters.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I buy 100% fruit juice (no sugar added) and I mix 1/2 C of that with 1 cup of seltzer water. It gives me a fizzy fruity drink that doesn't have as many chemicals as soda. (I don't get soda cravings anymore though, so I haven't done this in a LONG time).
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I can't beieve so many of you are suggesting artificial sweeteners as the substitute. So many studies have determined that people who drink diet pop are more often overweight than those who don't.

Artificial Sweeteners INCREASE Your Risk of Obesity

"Contrary to popular belief, research has shown that artificial sweeteners can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In fact, diet sodas may actually double your risk of obesity!"
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/04/joseph-mercola/artificial-sweeteners-encourage-weight-gain/

This is why I would rather have a regular soda. I stay away from anything is Aspartame in the ingredient list.
  • NBeehler
    NBeehler Posts: 24
    Options
    Have you tried club soda? I find most of the time I just want the bubbles. You can jazz it up with cucumber, lime, or strawberries, etc. if you like. It's working for me.

This has worked for me. I love club soda! They even have a low sodium version and this has completely replaced soda for me.
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Flavored club soda (with no sodium or sweeteners) is a good substitute. You can also add your own flavoring such as strawberries, cherries, peaches, blackberries, cucumbers, mint, etc.