When craving soda, what do you reach for besides water?

Options

Replies

• joy4824
    joy4824 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love those Mio Liquids to flavor water...I use them constantly. They are great tasting and they do not have aspartame in them like the powders do.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Maybe try a flavored sparkling water?
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Seltzer! Either plain and I add a lime or lemon, or flavored seltzers. The Polar seltzer brand makes great flavors. On the occasion that I'm really craving an actual soda, I have one, but try to have the more 'natural' sodas made with sugar, not HFCS, like GUS, or Stewarts.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    If you're not opposed to caffeine, tea or coffee. There are non caffeine ones too of course!!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I drink lemon lime sparkling water...refreshing and zero calories.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    I hate to say this, but I am addicted to soda. I have cut down to 1 a day and just went 4 days without one. But I craved it and it would drive me nuts. I do not drink diet sodas, yuck! How does everyone replace soda, I know everyone will say water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day but it still does not give me that satisfaction of a good cold Coca-Cola.

I used to drink soda all the time, I grew up with my dad working for Coke so we always had it in the house. To me, there is nothing more delicious than an ice cold Coke, I'm with you on that one.

Do yourself a favor and look up nutrition facts and what soda actually contains and does to your body. It harms you in more ways than just additional calories and sugar. Sure you can jog off the calories in a can of coke but you can't reverse the detrimental effects it has on your overall health and INTERNAL organs.

If you HAVE to have a soda, I would recommend you start drinking throwbacks or something with real sugar at least. That high fructose crap is for the birds!

That is what helped me kick the habit, hope it helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to drink between 3 and 6 sodas per day. I cut myself off early on to essentially break the habit. About 3 months in or so and I startd letting myself have a soda from time to time. I have maybe 2 per week now...real soda, not the fake diet stuff. Truth be told, I'm pretty limited now as to what sodas I can drink. HFCS is too sweet for me these days and prefer just regular old sugar. I'm fond of the San Pelegrino sparkling beverages as well as the Mexican Fanta in the glass bottles.

All that to say, when I crave a soda, I have a soda...I'm fine with it now and don't overdo it.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but I am addicted to soda. I have cut down to 1 a day and just went 4 days without one. But I craved it and it would drive me nuts. I do not drink diet sodas, yuck! How does everyone replace soda, I know everyone will say water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day but it still does not give me that satisfaction of a good cold Coca-Cola.

No matter how much you crave it, eliminate it COMPLETELY for a few months. Then, and only then, allow yourself 1 20 oz soda/pop every 1-2 weeks. Seriously. That stuff is horrible for us...and it's probably sabotaging you more than you think. Even the diet soda/pop has horrible ingredients in it.

From that response, would you believe I used to live on soda/pop? I drank nothing but Mt Dew for 10+ yrs...I quit cold turkey June 2012 and could not be happier I did. I do still have one...usually 1-2 servings a month! Amazing! You can do this too! It's the only way to get out of this horrible cycle.

What helped me...is there one type of soda you live off of? Quit drinking that and switch to a less enjoyable soda or caffeinated beverage for a week. Then, cut it off entirely. Eat gum. Learn to love water. That crap ruins your teeth...and some of it's made with fire retardant. Yum.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The Ice Soda...comes in lots different flavors...no calories or sugar
  • jb41477
    jb41477 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also drank a lot of soda. When my 4 year old started drinking too much soda, we decided to stop buying and only allow when dining out. I had read several studies linking artificial sodas to increased sugar cravings. So, I switched to regular coke only. I also tried to reduce a lot of sweets from my diet for several weeks (including in my coffee). I found that I did stop craving as much sugar, was able to start drinking coffee black, etc.). I still have sugar cravings, and I usually allow myself 50-150 calories a day for a treat. So, if I want a Coke, I have a coke (just one). But, usually I turn to low fat ice cream or cookies instead :). This was a gradual process for me, and not forced. It sounds like you are on the right track.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I can't beieve so many of you are suggesting artificial sweeteners as the substitute. So many studies have determined that people who drink diet pop are more often overweight than those who don't.

Artificial Sweeteners INCREASE Your Risk of Obesity

"Contrary to popular belief, research has shown that artificial sweeteners can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In fact, diet sodas may actually double your risk of obesity!"
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/04/joseph-mercola/artificial-sweeteners-encourage-weight-gain/

No they don't. hahaha.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't beieve so many of you are suggesting artificial sweeteners as the substitute. So many studies have determined that people who drink diet pop are more often overweight than those who don't.

"Contrary to popular belief, research has shown that artificial sweeteners can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In fact, diet sodas may actually double your risk of obesity!"
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2011/04/joseph-mercola/artificial-sweeteners-encourage-weight-gain/

This is why I would rather have a regular soda. I stay away from anything is Aspartame in the ingredient list.

Have your regular soda, and remember to drink in moderation ;)
    What I suggest is find a place that sells Coca-cola from Mexico (they use real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, or if you are flexible get Pepsi throw-back, which is available more frequently, and is the same case.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

This is why I would rather have a regular soda. I stay away from anything is Aspartame in the ingredient list.

Aspartame is not damaging to our health, and there is no evidence to support it.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a freezing cold Coke Zero right now (this & Diet Coke... I prefer the taste to regular Coke). It's my first one in about a month.

I usually have a cup of rooibos (plain) around this time, but tonight I wanted Coke since it's hot.

Aspartame, at that level of moderation, is fine. Bloody hell, even lead at that level of moderation is fine.

The rest of the time I drink water, lemon & lime water, fruit juice, coffee (black), or a variety of teas (from green with ginseng to camomile and apple).

I've also heard of people drinking water with dissolved packets of vegetarian sugar-free jelly powder in it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Seltzer with a splash of juice. That's how I got over my soda addiction.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you craving sweet taste or caffeine?

Figure out what exactly you're craving and it's easier to determine an alternative. Obviously plain water won't provide either of those options.

Good advice - I am trying to cut down on diet sodas because of the chemicals. For a real kick in the pants, I get a ginger beer and pour half of a regular soda can over ice. It is not sweet like ginger ale, it is quite strong tasting on it's own, so dilute it.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    If you HAVE to have a soda, I would recommend you start drinking throwbacks or something with real sugar at least. That high fructose crap is for the birds!

Throwbacks?? What's that? :ohwell:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Even if you're counting your Calories and staying at or under your Calorie goal?

Oh, I just saw it was from Mercola. That explains it.
  • Toya128
    Toya128 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love soda and giving up Diet Coke has been especially hard. I have started to drink sparkling water with natural flavors and Dry Cucumber soda. Oogave is good also.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I don't know why I crave a sweet soda, I do not crave anything sweet beside that. I don't eat any snacks, so I consider a coke my snack for the day. I am hitting the grocery store after work today, so I have a few things to look for based on everyone's ideas. I am on my 5 glass of water today.