coconut oil, yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole spoon fulls of coconut oil ****

The poster earlier nailed it - there was a time people spoke of olive oil in the same hushed reverent tones they now speak of coconut oil.

It's just the latest thing, I wouldn't stress over it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Delete. Dupe.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    I don't understand the whole spoon fulls of coconut oil ****...that is just stupid to me. I cook with it often...but taking spoon fulls of oil just seems like stupefying a perfectly good thing.
    There is no difference between taking it as a supplement by the spoon full...or just using that same spoonful to saute some veggies. My point is why take spoon fulls of oil...just cook with it...that's what your'e supposed to do. Taking a spoonful is the same as taking a spoonful of butter or olive oil...it's thoroughly more enjoyable if you actually cook something with it.

Not to sidetrack the post or speak out of turn, but I have to say, some of the negativity and snarky responses on these boards are really discouraging sometimes. Maybe I'm just not "tough" enough, but it seems for every nice person that has good advice to offer, there is someone who just wants to shoot you down and tell you why you are doing it all wrong. I have only been here for a few days and have already felt belittled after asking a simple question (ironically, also related to coconut oil!).

It's one thing to offer a suggestion, but to say something is "stupid" just because it's not your preferred use of an item seems really unnecessary and mean for the sake of it. You say cooking with coconut oil is "what you're supposed to do" but, says who? I just posted a link of 50 different things you can use coconut oil for. Who is to say that any one is more useful than another?

Sorry to jump in and get involved with something that has little to do with me, but sometimes I don't think people are very aware of how their words can come off. As I'm certain you're not losing any sleep over someone else taking a spoonful of coconut oil, why go out of your way to make them feel silly or stupid for it?

I may or may not get attacked for this, and that's fine, but I just felt compelled to say something.

Anyway... coconut oil! Yay!!!

YES. Thank you, I couldn't agree more, with all of it! If you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all. Or say it, but don't be alarmed when you get put in your place.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Use a coconut oil cooking spray and love it. Great for egg whites.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I also like to keep a jar of coconut oil mixed with raw sugar that I use a hand and body scrub. The smell is delicious!
    I did this but I also added Honey. It's awesome.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I take it and i don't count it.

Wait, why wouldn't it count? There's 130ish calories in a tablespoon. If you want to eat it for health benefits (or suggested ones), great, but make sure you log the calories. There's not point in tracking if you aren't tracking accurately.

Because i take it as a supplement along with other vitamins that i don't count. Coconut oil is a good fat.

If it has calories, you're consuming calories. Just like you need to count fruit and veggies, olive oil, avocado, and anything else that is "good" for you. When I take my fish oil capsules, I log those too (they're 30 calories). Other vitamins I don't because they don't have calories listed on them.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    We cook with it mmmm
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Use a coconut oil cooking spray and love it. Great for egg whites.

I just saw this online yesterday and it went on my "must get" list!
  • djpgrl28
    djpgrl28 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yay...coconut milk or water, oil good for cooking or just taking the suppliment is also good for chlorestoral
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil as a supplement for health benefits?? It's pure saturated fat. Because I'm concerned about my heart health more than anything else, I avoid it (and palm oil) like the plague. What am I missing?
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My jar of coconut oil has moved from the kitchen to the bedroom , and I smear it all over me and its good in bleached hair :love:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    heck to the yeah and hey to the yay! Coconut oil is awesome. Eat some, cook with it, rub it all over yourself.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    vivaldirules, you're missing that sat fats are good for you and coconut oil is rich with MCTs, and Lauric acid (the same amazing stuff in breastmilk, and we know how awesome that stuff is!)
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I don't - more because I'm cheap than anything. But my daughter uses it for a lot of things and the purported benefits are many. I worry a touch when something is supposed to be good for "everything." But I'm sure there is a hefty nugget of truth to a lot of it.

Yeah, if I did take it, I'd count it.

Take care.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Organic virgin coconut oil is a HEALTHY saturated fat. I use 1 tbsp a day.

I'm not too big on the taste, but i personally use it for health & on my skin.
  • Myers1989luke
    Options
    Coconut oil gets a bad rap because it mainly contains saturated fat, but proponents claim it helps fight disease. Is it really bad for your health? Get the facts.join the family
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have recently discovered coconut oil . . . love it and count it! When I was researching the benefits I came across a site, Wellness Mamma Community, that listed (and explained) 101 uses for coconut oil. I have recently blogged about it in a couple of different posts:
    1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/nuts-for-coconuts-or-more-specifically-coconut-oil-569926
    2. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/do-pre-workout-drinks-make-you-queasy-want-a-more-natural-option-571247
    I can't figure out how to insert photos in MyFitnessPal blogs so the photos are hosted on - https://www.facebook.com/TeamDontMessWithTheMommaPage. That page also contains a recipe for a coconut oil latte (I used to be a Timmies Double Double girl and now I skip the cream and sugar and put coconut oil, cinnamon and vanilla in my coffee) and the Facebook page contains a recipe for a coconut and coffee grounds body scrub that is meant to help with cellulite and varicose veins.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    tagging this for all the great ideas!
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I add a half tbs to my protein shake. I include it in my count. Good fat.

My wife uses it when she makes a no sugar added banana bread.
    We use it when cooking fish too.
    I want that recipe!

I use it for baking, a spoonful now and again, moisturizer, personal lubricant, deep conditioner...etc.

Just want to make sure you know that coconut oil as well as any other oil will eat through latex, so if you are having sex on the same day you used it as a personal lubricant it is best to use a non latex condom.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Coconut oil as a supplement for health benefits?? It's pure saturated fat. Because I'm concerned about my heart health more than anything else, I avoid it (and palm oil) like the plague. What am I missing?

In general, one of the big reasons that saturated and trans fats supposedly are bad for you because they are straight-chain molecules, while unsaturated fats have "kinks" in them. Simplistically, you can imagine that the fragments of straight-chain lipids stack on top of each other more easily (I know it's more complicated than this, but I don't think MFP cares to hear a thermo lecture XD). Because of this, straight-chain lipids are usually solids at higher temperatures - they tend to have higher melting points...generally higher than body temperature. Which may mean they are more likely to be solids in your arteries.

Coconut oil is an exception. Although it's a straight-chain lipid, it happens to have a melting point below body temperature, around 76 degrees F, and is therefore less likely to plaque up in your blood vessels than other saturated fats.

Also, as an aside - one of the reason that saturated fats are so prevalent in processed foods is precisely because they are solids at higher temperatures. They're easier and cheaper to transport.

e - *Supposedly.*