Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thoughts on Beyond Burger and other fake meat

Replies

• lrober11lrober11 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    I have no idea how to directly respond to people on here but to the comment above, I hardly exercised because I did not have the time between work full time and school. Cancelled my gym membership & just spent time outside walking a few times a week to get some cardio in.

Before that I spent 2 years working out religiously while trying to "eat healthy" but ate way too much processed food. I saw noooo results until I changed my diet to mostly Whole Foods. I think it's an 80/20 concept here
  • lrober11lrober11 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    I was using my MFP my calories were literally the same lol.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

You saw results because you created a calorie deficit when you switched to more whole foods.

• Carlos_421Carlos_421 Posts: 5,083Member Member Posts: 5,083Member Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Why is less processed always better?

It's the thread-reboot point . . . every four or five pages someone new will come in, read the first post, and proceed to blow our minds with the nutritional wisdom they assume was previously unstated.

Does that mean this thread is becoming reprocessed, and thus absolutely must be becoming worse for health?

100%
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Posts: 5,800Member Member Posts: 5,800Member Member
    “If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't. ”

― Michael Pollan
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,916Member Member Posts: 7,916Member Member
    Do NOT come between me and my Greek yogurt!

Me too although I am back to regular yogurt I make myself. Not because I think it is healthier (after all, I am using store bought milk) but I eat so much it is cheaper ($2.50 per gallon as opposed to $10 per gallon for yogurt). I use Greek for the starter since I love the taste, but I don't have the patience to strain it like Greek needs to be.
  • estherdragonbatestherdragonbat Posts: 5,268Member Member Posts: 5,268Member Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Me too although I am back to regular yogurt I make myself. Not because I think it is healthier (after all, I am using store bought milk) but I eat so much it is cheaper ($2.50 per gallon as opposed to $10 per gallon for yogurt). I use Greek for the starter since I love the taste, but I don't have the patience to strain it like Greek needs to be.

I might try that sometime. I do make my own sorbets and granitas, though.
  • earlnabbyearlnabby Posts: 7,916Member Member Posts: 7,916Member Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

I might try that sometime. I do make my own sorbets and granitas, though.

It is super easy but you need a way to keep it at 110° for about 8-18 hours. I have a yogurt maker that makes 1/2 gallon at a time. Heat the milk to 180°, cool to 110°, add some yogurt with active cultures, let sit. Chill and eat. There are starters you can get that give different flavors and textures but I like using Greek yogurt, then use some of the last batch to re-culture the next one. I can keep a strain going for about 5 gallons (10 batches) before it needs refreshing.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Posts: 22,165Member Member Posts: 22,165Member Member
    In the spirit of today, an article on the subject of whether or not faux meat products are appropriate if one is avoiding meat for Lent: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-beyond-impossible-burger-fake-meat-lent-20200225-ldbyyq74lzadzgmiqhcdaqmuo4-story.html
  • estherdragonbatestherdragonbat Posts: 5,268Member Member Posts: 5,268Member Member
    In the spirit of today, an article on the subject of whether or not faux meat products are appropriate if one is avoiding meat for Lent: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-beyond-impossible-burger-fake-meat-lent-20200225-ldbyyq74lzadzgmiqhcdaqmuo4-story.html

Interesting. On the Jewish calendar, there is a nine-day period when many Orthodox Jews refrain from eating meat and poultry (but not fish and there are a couple of loopholes). As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I asked if I should adopt a more stringent practice at that time like a vegan WOE. I was told that it wasn't necessary. Basically, the custom was to refrain from meat and poultry specifically during those days and whether I normally refrained from them the rest of the year wasn't relevant.