Can I gain muscle without gaining weight?

Options
I'm at 110 pounds and my ultimate goal weight is 105. I just started 30 Day Shred and I'm going to actively try to gain muscle. However, I still want to get down to 105. Is it possible or am I going to see scale increases because muscle weighs more than fat?

Btw, I'm 5'2" and I usually eat ~1300 on average. I haven't eaten too many more calories to account for the 30 Day Shred...yet!

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you have to gain weight - in a caloric deficit it isn't gona happen, and it isn't gonna happen properly unless you lift actual weights. Sure you may gain a slight amount of muscle at first but it won't be much because your body isn't going to be doing anything that's actually really muscle building - if that makes sense?
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    To gain muscle you have to gain weight - in a caloric deficit it isn't gona happen, and it isn't gonna happen properly unless you lift actual weights. Sure you may gain a slight amount of muscle at first but it won't be much because your body isn't going to be doing anything that's actually really muscle building - if that makes sense?

^ pretty much this, unless you wanna tren hard
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't think the 30 day shred will put on that much muscle but yes a cubic inch of muscle weighs more that fat so yes if you put on muscle you will put on weight but you may actually get smaller. Worry about your percentage of body fat and how your clothes fit more than the actual number on the scale. My former trainer is 5'2 and a size 2 to 4 but if you go by her weight the ridiculous thing is she is actually consider obese because she use to compete as a weight lifter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't think the 30 day shred will put on that much muscle but yes a cubic inch of muscle weighs more that fat so yes if you put on muscle you will put on weight but you may actually get smaller. Worry about your percentage of body fat and how your clothes fit more than the actual number on the scale. My former trainer is 5'2 and a size 2 to 4 but if you go by her weight the ridiculous thing is she is actually consider obese because she use to compete as a weight lifter.

I thought muscle was just denser than fat, but does not weight more..

OP - 30 day shred and eating in deficit will not put muscle on...

If you want to put muscle on eat a little over maintenance and do compound lifts...the less over maintenance you are, the less fat you will put on ...but you will have to experiment and see what works for you ...
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes fat is less dense it, a pound of fat takes up more room than a pound of muscle , so yes if you gain muscle and lose fat you may weigh the same or even a bit more, its your measurements you need to work with, not what the scale says.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The only way, in theory, that you could stay the exact same weight (or drop weight) and gain muscle, is if you have fat to burn. In theory, it might be possible for some people (depending on your body's hormones, etc.) to gain muscle in that way, assuming nutrition and training were dialed in absolutely perfectly and the fat was being used to supply energy for protein synthesis. It's unlikely to happen easily as a matter of fact or accidently, though. That said, I'll bet a few people have done it. If you're a naturally thin, decently muscled person normally who gained weight over teh years, it might work for you.

if you want to give it a shot, I would try eating right at maintenenance or maybe 50 calories above it (plus workout calories), and make sure to lift hard 3 days a week, always doing your cardio immediately prior to lifting. There's no guarantee though. Worst case, it doesn't work, but you lose the fat and maintain muscle. You can always intentionally gain muscle later on if you desire more.
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred with not make you put up a lot of muscle, although you should be able to see nice definition.

The important question though is: why do you care about your weight so much? Let's say you finish the program, gain some muscle, lose some fat, you lean out, lose inches, you're more fit, and more healthy. Would it really be so bad if you didn't lose on the scale or even gained a pound or two?

I know that getting down to your dream weight seems like the confirmation you worked hard enough, and I like to see weight losses too. But getting toned and having more lean body weight is such a great accomplishment by itself :) Plus, muscle burns fat so the more muscle you have the more you can eat ;) Not only looks good, but is also useful :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Hense the clarification of a cubic inch of … lol
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Strength training is done with a barbell and big wheels, not a DVD.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I would say you are going to have trouble building muscle with that DVD.
    But if you start proper strength training and eating is a surplus you will gain muscle, but yes you will also gain weight, inavoidable. However when you are happy with the muscle built you can focus on maintaining that and losing body fat which will bring your weight back down again. The number really isn't worth worrying about, you will look better at 110lb with muscle and low body fat than at 105lb with no muscle and higher body fat.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Thank you I thought I was pretty clear
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I was planning on going harder with the weights after the DVD. That being said, I absolutely will gain muscle from the DVD because I have very little upper body strength. I can do two push-ups and can barely life 4-pound weights more than 10 times. 30DS requires a lot of weight exercises that are killing me!

Anyway, I suppose I'll see how my weight is after 30DS and I might decide to continue with cardio instead (training for races). Of course, I'll take an after picture and if I look better, I won't care if I weigh more! Thanks again. :-)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I was planning on going harder with the weights after the DVD. That being said, I absolutely will gain muscle from the DVD because I have very little upper body strength. I can do two push-ups and can barely life 4-pound weights more than 10 times. 30DS requires a lot of weight exercises that are killing me!

Anyway, I suppose I'll see how my weight is after 30DS and I might decide to continue with cardio instead (training for races). Of course, I'll take an after picture and if I look better, I won't care if I weigh more! Thanks again. :-)
    Are you going to be eating in a surplus?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Thank you I thought I was pretty clear

your original post did not refer to a cubic inch...so no it was not clear, hence my question...
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will see great results from the 30 day shred, but you've got to eat your calories, especially your exercise calories. No cheating yourself because you're worried about weight gain! And try not to get back on that scale until you complete the 30 days! The mirror is your friend. ;)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    What is up with females and weight!!!

BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION >
    THROW AWAY YOUR CHIT USELESS SCALE!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    its impossible for you to put on weight if you're eating at a deficit.

it will be very hard to gain muscle at a deficit (it can be done - mostly in the first few months) and certainly not with 30 DS, imo.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

As a (formerly skinny fat) female who used to be obsessed with the scale, I COMPLETELY agree with this!!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    You can maintain muscle mass, drop fat and in effect be lighter (or the same weight if you do gain any muscle) but relatively stronger and have an improved body composition.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.