Can I gain muscle without gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What is so special about 105lbs? What if you look better and are a smaller size at 115lbs?

30 day shred is not a muscle gaining program, neither is 1300 calories a day. To gain muscle I lifted heavy weights including squats, deadlifts and bench press and ate 3000 calories a day.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    What is so special about 105lbs? What if you look better and are a smaller size at 115lbs?

30 day shred is not a muscle gaining program, neither is 1300 calories a day. To gain muscle I lifted heavy weights including squats, deadlifts and bench press and ate 3000 calories a day.

I think this needs repeated. This time last year I was 110lbs, on the low side for my height and frame but still healthy, running more than lifting but I still was not happy with my body at all. Today I'm 124lbs, body fat and composition is much better and I am more confident and so happy with my body. I still love running but lifting has always been in my life and I dedicated myself to that since November. Get over a specific number!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I was planning on going harder with the weights after the DVD. That being said, I absolutely will gain muscle from the DVD because I have very little upper body strength. I can do two push-ups and can barely life 4-pound weights more than 10 times. 30DS requires a lot of weight exercises that are killing me!

Anyway, I suppose I'll see how my weight is after 30DS and I might decide to continue with cardio instead (training for races). Of course, I'll take an after picture and if I look better, I won't care if I weigh more! Thanks again. :-)
    Gaining strength and gaining muscle aren't the same thing. One can get stronger without adding muscle.

Gaining muscle usually needs a surplus and body fat increase usually accompanies it. That will no doubt include weight increase.
    Not my rules, but that's how it happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you have to gain weight - in a caloric deficit it isn't gona happen, and it isn't gonna happen properly unless you lift actual weights. Sure you may gain a slight amount of muscle at first but it won't be much because your body isn't going to be doing anything that's actually really muscle building - if that makes sense?

This.

8488541.png
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    What is up with females and weight!!!

BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION >
    THROW AWAY YOUR CHIT USELESS SCALE!!!
    agree! it's not about a number on the scale
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

pretty much this. OP, meet staci. she's awesome. she's 11 pounds HEAVIER (142 pounds) in the picture on the right compared to the picture on the left.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    "You can't gain muscle without eating at a surplus"

This is absolutely the number one biggest bit of bro science that I see every day. Absolutely you can. Not as much, and not as quickly, but you very much can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Caveat: It's not easy.

If you are eating at a slight deficit, and are working out with weights heavy enough to be in the 2-8 rep range before failure, and are getting enough protein (THIS IS KEY) then you will gain strength and muscle.

You don't need to eat at a surplus, but you do need to take in enough protein. How much is enough? That's up for debate and is another hotbed of bro science. I tend to err on the side of caution and take in about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (which you can find calculators to estimate for you).

Eating gobs of food to make up a huge surplus is the reason why a lot of gym people get into harmful bulk/cut cycles. You don't need to put on a pound of fat for every pound of muscle, then lose muscle trying to burn that fat off. It's dumb, and I don't get why people think it's the right way to do it.

The calories you burn working out and generally living will come from the food you eat first, and when that runs out, your body will attack fat stores, and only when those are gone (or nearly gone) will it work on metabolizing muscle tissue. Unless you're eating at a severe deficit, your body will have enough calories from the food you eat and the fat you have on you to use the protein you're eating to repair damage. It won't be as fast, or efficient as putting on muscle while you are swimming with calories from eating a lumberjack's diet, but it will go on.

If you are eating at a severe deficit, about the most you can hope for is that the lifting you do will offset the loss of muscle, but if you can find a balance (that's the hard part), then you can gain muscle and lose fat.

Note, you will not do either quickly. If you are looking to crash your fat, or bulk up in a hurry, you should probably concentrate on one or the other. If you're happy to make a lifestyle change to lift heavy and eat right for the foreseeable future, then you absolutely, 100%, assuredly CAN lose fat and gain muscle.
    I have yet to see a skinny person on calorie deficit gain muscle. It's not broscience, it's the basic law of thermodynamics.
    Yes there are exceptions to the statement (overweight/obese person, returning athlete, newbie to weight lifting, enhancement user), but by in large adding any significant amount of muscle while on calorie deficit isn't going to happen.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound regardless of what it is. 1 pound of muscle does not weigh more than one pound of fat. 1.1 pounds of muscle weighs more than 1 pound of fat or vice versa. Muscle is more dense and takes up less room.

One of those fun replies to "How do I get big fast?" ... Get fat, and In no time at all you too can have 20 inch upper arms, thighs as thick as tree limbs! You don't even have to get off the couch...assuming the pizza delivery guy will come in and hand you the 2 extra larges you are having for dinner.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The most important number on a scale.................................................how much does that bacon weigh?

IDEA Fitness member
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    OP, did you know what your actual TDEE was prior to losing weight? 1300 calories seems low for someone whose quite active with your particular stats and goals. Your total deficit should be small - no greater than 300 calories - since you're focusing more on body recomposition.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 Year Consecutive Logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The most important number on a scale.................................................how much does that bacon weigh?

Where is the Like button?
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've focused on lifting heavy , upping the protein. I've learned to step away from the scale as I've actually gained 4 lbs since doing this I focus on how I feel and how cut I am now. That's in my opinion
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    "You can't gain muscle without eating at a surplus"

This is absolutely the number one biggest bit of bro science that I see every day. Absolutely you can. Not as much, and not as quickly, but you very much can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Caveat: It's not easy.

If you are eating at a slight deficit, and are working out with weights heavy enough to be in the 2-8 rep range before failure, and are getting enough protein (THIS IS KEY) then you will gain strength and muscle.

You don't need to eat at a surplus, but you do need to take in enough protein. How much is enough? That's up for debate and is another hotbed of bro science. I tend to err on the side of caution and take in about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass (which you can find calculators to estimate for you).

Eating gobs of food to make up a huge surplus is the reason why a lot of gym people get into harmful bulk/cut cycles. You don't need to put on a pound of fat for every pound of muscle, then lose muscle trying to burn that fat off. It's dumb, and I don't get why people think it's the right way to do it.

The calories you burn working out and generally living will come from the food you eat first, and when that runs out, your body will attack fat stores, and only when those are gone (or nearly gone) will it work on metabolizing muscle tissue. Unless you're eating at a severe deficit, your body will have enough calories from the food you eat and the fat you have on you to use the protein you're eating to repair damage. It won't be as fast, or efficient as putting on muscle while you are swimming with calories from eating a lumberjack's diet, but it will go on.

If you are eating at a severe deficit, about the most you can hope for is that the lifting you do will offset the loss of muscle, but if you can find a balance (that's the hard part), then you can gain muscle and lose fat.

Note, you will not do either quickly. If you are looking to crash your fat, or bulk up in a hurry, you should probably concentrate on one or the other. If you're happy to make a lifestyle change to lift heavy and eat right for the foreseeable future, then you absolutely, 100%, assuredly CAN lose fat and gain muscle.
    I have yet to see a skinny person on calorie deficit gain muscle. It's not broscience, it's the basic law of thermodynamics.
    Yes there are exceptions to the statement (overweight/obese person, returning athlete, newbie to weight lifting, enhancement user), but by in large adding any significant amount of muscle while on calorie deficit isn't going to happen.

IDEA Fitness member

Most of the MFP population are newbies. While the gains are minimal and generally not visible (because of volumetric considerations), they are possible. Just not even remotely optimal.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What is up with females and weight!!!

BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION BODY COMPOSITION >
    THROW AWAY YOUR CHIT USELESS SCALE!!!

Agreed!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Strength training is done with a barbell and big wheels, not a DVD.

This
  • Drunken_WarHero
    Options
    No.
    [/Thread]
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Oh and just saw, you are 5'2 and 110? You do realise that it's very, very low right?

Muscles = Eating at a surplus and lifting heavy
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

254222_500502566677505_631093023_n.jpg

now /thread
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    However, I still want to get down to 105. Is it possible or am I going to see scale increases because muscle weighs more than fat?

I didn't read through all of the pages, but I'm curious about why you want to be a certain scale weight. Do you need to "make weight" for a competition or something? If not, why strive to achieve a certain weight?