Vegetarian help for more protein?

Options
Hi,

I'm a vegetarian and trying to lose the last 10 kgs. According to MFP I don't consume enough protein. I don't like nuts. And for the last week and a half I haven't managed to lose anything although I've been eating and exercising according to my goals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there's a low cal protein shake that's not so expensive, or any foods you don't normally hear about?

Thank you in advance!
xx

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3
  • Jomarle1
    Jomarle1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thank you!! :)
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    2% greek yogurt has as much protein in a serving as meat does. I use it as a sour cream substitute often.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
  • Ophidion
    Options
    If you are a Vegetarian then you should have done your homework and You should know that there is NO such thing as "Protein". There are 19 Amino Acids and Western Medicine grouped SOME of them to call them "Protein". The BEST source of Amino Acids is Green Leafy Veggies!

Vegetarians/Vegans are getting unhealthy because so many do NOT RESEARCH and KNOW what they are getting in to. So many just want to lose weight or save animals...and they end up eating high Starch and REFINED Food Diets that are the cause of weight gain and disease like Candida! Also, Tofu is Soy, and 98% of ALL Soy in the USA is GMO...maybe 100% of Refined Soy like Tofu and Temph!

Do NOT leave the VEGE out of Vegetarian!
    I don't live in the USA as such, but to say that "98% of ALL soy in the USA is GMO...maybe 100%" seems a little much in the sense do you mean soy grown in America or actual soy products stocked in supermarkets. I have no issue finding non GMO soy products in my country. Maybe before you scare the OP off soy with such statements you could be clearer and back it up with credible references.

You suggest research but maybe you could provide some.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

DUDE: What GARDEN did you get cheese, eggs and milk from? Next you will be saying fish is a veggie!
    DUDE: Look up the definition of Vegetarian, OP did not refer to herself as vegan. and yes if they had said they were pescetarian would have added fish.

Been vegan for years I know the dietary differences.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

DUDE: What GARDEN did you get cheese, eggs and milk from? Next you will be saying fish is a veggie!

The OP asked for vegetarian, not vegan, protein sources. This implies that they just may eat animal products, excluding the flesh.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

Great list. All I can ink to add is:

Peas
    Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, chia, etc.)

There are plenty of vegetarian and vegan protein powders, it's a case of trying some and seeing what you prefer.

Vegetarian ones includes whey, casein, egg

Vegan ones include soya, pea, hemp, rice, spirulina
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry my mistake you have obviously redefined the English dictionary considering this was on your profile "Vegetarians do NOT eat Flesh (Fish) or Animal Products (Dairy or Eggs-Animal Embryos); You who do, don't get the Title of Vegetarian! We are taking Our Title BACK, We (Vegans) ARE Vegetarians! NO YOU don't get that." "Dr. Aris LaTham"

Good luck when you eat out and get all upset when you order a Vegetarian meal and it has animal products in it because you apparently own the rights to the title vegetarian, even though you are vegan *smh* judgmental lentil much?

People have different diets, accept it.
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Red lentils have around twice the amount of protein it it per gram than ordinary mince. Pretty much any legume is a gold mine for protein intake, so it's really easy to get enough of it as a vegetarian with them.

Also, I'm a little worried about you, OP. Protein is a very easy thing to get as a vegetarian, but what you should worry about is iron and B12. That shiz is much harder to find in ordinary veg foods, and unless you're paying close attention to it you'll probably become deficient, especially as a young woman.

If you're having trouble reaching your goals, I recommend getting your iron levels tested. You could be anaemic already.
    You can also change your settings to track iron as well, though I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    bump for more sources
  • WendySPWarren
    Options
    If you are a Vegetarian then you should have done your homework and You should know that there is NO such thing as "Protein". There are 19 Amino Acids and Western Medicine grouped SOME of them to call them "Protein". The BEST source of Amino Acids is Green Leafy Veggies!

There are 22 standard Amino Acids, 21 of these are found in Eukaryotes, and only 9 of these are essential for humans (meaning, the rest can be synthesised in our own bodies). Amino Acids link together into chains (polypeptides). These chains are what form proteins.

I have no idea where you got your numbers or information from.
  • Ophidion
    Options

There are 22 standard Amino Acids, 21 of these are found in Eukaryotes, and only 9 of these are essential for humans (meaning, the rest can be synthesised in our own bodies). Amino Acids link together into chains (polypeptides). These chains are what form proteins.

Read their profile, they read a book and watched some vlogs:laugh:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian (used to be, it does not agree with my body). I just wanted to put out there that there is growing body of evidence that soy products are not healthy. I personally experienced very negative reproductive side effects and hormonal side effects from eating tofu and edamame. Only fermented soy seems to have no negative side effects, TVP is terrible and many people have negative reactions to it.

Tempeh is high in protein and is a fermented soy product that is also vegan ( I believe, not positive).
  • Jomarle1
    Jomarle1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Red lentils have around twice the amount of protein it it per gram than ordinary mince. Pretty much any legume is a gold mine for protein intake, so it's really easy to get enough of it as a vegetarian with them.

Also, I'm a little worried about you, OP. Protein is a very easy thing to get as a vegetarian, but what you should worry about is iron and B12. That shiz is much harder to find in ordinary veg foods, and unless you're paying close attention to it you'll probably become deficient, especially as a young woman.

If you're having trouble reaching your goals, I recommend getting your iron levels tested. You could be anaemic already.
    You can also change your settings to track iron as well, though I'm not sure how accurate it is.

THANK YOU for the advice. Have only been vegetarian for 3 months now, still learning. I'll definitely take your advice and get tested. Appreciate your concern*

-Also sorry if I did upset anyone, just trying to "do my homework". I'm from South Africa, by the way.
  • WendySPWarren
    Options

Read their profile, they read a book and watched some vlogs:laugh:

Why???? Oh dear, I am seriously regretting that. :S
    won't even try to argue with this one. The person would be too set in their ways to listen even if I did try, so it would all fall on deaf ears.

I will say one thing though:
    Citric fruits are pretty damn acidic, and they are good for you (but maybe not your teeth, lol). Bleach is very alkaline, and I personally wouldn't recommend drinking it.
  • WendySPWarren
    Options

THANK YOU for the advice. Have only been vegetarian for 3 months now, still learning. I'll definitely take your advice and get tested. Appreciate your concern*

-Also sorry if I did upset anyone, just trying to "do my homework". I'm from South Africa, by the way.

Anytime madam. :)
    I'm not a true vegetarian, but I cook vegetarian and vegan meals almost exclusively. If you need any more advice feel free to ask. I find nutrition fascinating and have looked into it a fair bit.

Also, even though I'm not a true vege/vegan, I still need to be on iron tablets, so I defiantly think its something you should look into. You can buy iron pills over the counter, but it's always better to get a doctors opinion just in case it's something else.

Also also, one more things I forgot (not sure if they sell it in Africa) is Milo. It's a chocolate malt drink that contains around half of your daily protein per serve, and it tastes great mixed with coffee! It's really popular among veg/vegans in Australia for that reason.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a vegetarian and trying to lose the last 10 kgs. According to MFP I don't consume enough protein. I don't like nuts. And for the last week and a half I haven't managed to lose anything although I've been eating and exercising according to my goals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there's a low cal protein shake that's not so expensive, or any foods you don't normally hear about?

Thank you in advance!
    xx

I'm a newer to a vegetarian/vegan diet hybred myself :happy: I spot track my protein intake and I always hit what MFP suggests (which is the amount the CDC and the WHO recommend for my age). I eat a large green smoothie every day, at least one serving of beans a day (love using it in burritos or in dips), peas in brown rice with mushrooms and veggies, oats, and then things like hemp seeds. As someone mentioned-I'd be much more 'concerned' about b12 than protein intake, as that's the one thing that can be pretty much impossible to get in, especially if you start going more towards a vegan diet. I take a supplement twice a week, just to be safe :) As for the other nutrients, MFP's food diary isn't set up very well for tracking all the nutrients. I've found another free online tracking site and I now use that to spot check everything from iodine intake, to a detailed break down of the different Amino acids that make up protein :)
  • ChrisMundie
    ChrisMundie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians/Vegans are getting unhealthy because so many do NOT RESEARCH... Also, Tofu is Soy, and 98% of ALL Soy in the USA is GMO...maybe 100% of Refined Soy like Tofu and Temph!

You need to do more research too, almost none of the soy used in tofu, tempeh, or soy milk is GMO. GMO soy is used in the highly refined junk foods like various types of cookies or in animal feed.

For more reading check out:

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2013/08/what-are-gmos-and-why-should-i-care

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/brands/tofu-tempeh-and-alternative-meat-products.html
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians/Vegans are getting unhealthy because so many do NOT RESEARCH... Also, Tofu is Soy, and 98% of ALL Soy in the USA is GMO...maybe 100% of Refined Soy like Tofu and Temph!

You need to do more research too, almost none of the soy used in tofu, tempeh, or soy milk is GMO. GMO soy is used in the highly refined junk foods like various types of cookies or in animal feed.

For more reading check out:

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2013/08/what-are-gmos-and-why-should-i-care

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/brands/tofu-tempeh-and-alternative-meat-products.html

You beat me to it. All of the tofu brands at my local store state Non-GMO on the top of the package.