Vegetarian help for more protein?

Options

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Lentils. One measuring cup has the protein of 3 eggs (18 g versus 6 g per egg) and 230 calories. And you don't have to soak them (but you can if you want). I cook batches of dry lentils, then stir-fry with a little olive oil, spice, and vegetables. Lentils are a super food, high in potassium, iron, and fiber. Eat with something with vitamin C for the iron to be better absorbed (like brown rice or steamed greens).
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone who has offered their insights on this thread! I have been just fine for over 20 years of vegetarianism but at age 57, I am beginning to feel the effects of not having paid enough attention to protein and iron over the years. Thanks again, everyone for some very valuable information. :flowerforyou:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

Bumping to keep this list - never knew brussels were such a good source of protein, thanks! :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a vegetarian and trying to lose the last 10 kgs. According to MFP I don't consume enough protein. I don't like nuts. And for the last week and a half I haven't managed to lose anything although I've been eating and exercising according to my goals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If there's a low cal protein shake that's not so expensive, or any foods you don't normally hear about?

Thank you in advance!
    xx

you don't like nuts or nut products? I have found an amazing product called Peanut Flour-Protein Plus. It is simply ground peanuts. lots of fiber and protein. you can add it to items or eat it with some water as a paste. check it out on amazon for reviews.

I love this stuff! It's pretty powerfully peanutty tasting, though, so for someone who doesn't like nuts it might not be an option. It does make a delicious peanut mousse with Greek yogurt and a bit of honey.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Is it hard to google "vegetarian sources of protein" and look at one of the thousands of websites that provide all this detailed information?
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

Bumping to keep this list - never knew brussels were such a good source of protein, thanks! :)
    lol well they are failing to mention on some of the vegetables the MASS amounts you have to eat to equate that much protein. You would have to eat over 4 whole cups of Brussel sprouts to get that much protein.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

This is a great list. Don't forget the vegetarian and vegan staple - hummus/hummous.

recipe for hummous: Put all this in a blender: 1 can chickpeas, including half of the liquid in the can (save the other half of the liquid in case it turns out too thick and you wanna add more juice to thin it), plus half a cup of tahini (sesame seed paste), less if you don't like; lemon juice to taste (I use about half a lemon) plus a clove of garlic (more/less to taste), blend. If too thick, add more of the juice from the chickpea can - I usually add a little extra myself.. Blend, enjoy!

Also remember that most vegetarian and vegan foods do have *some* protein content, even things like oatmeal - it all adds up. John Robbins did some sample menus in his book A Diet for a New America, and showed that, as long as one is eating a normal healthy number of calories per day, one automatically got enough protein if they made sure to include just ONE serving of beans in that day. Obviously this does't mean eating french fries all day plus one serving of beans - one has to get plenty of whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and veggies of a variety of colors for all the different nutrients etc. Look at that book if you get a chance, it gives the protein content of many veggies and grains, and shows that we don't even have to use the meat substitutes like tofu, soy, seitan, quorn to get plenty of protein, although I frankly like them.

Also there are some great and tasty vegetarian protein powders you can use - sorry I can't remember the names of any, but any good health store will have them. I used to use them just because they were chocolatey and yummy. I used to put in a scoop of the protein powder with a banana and some fat free yogurt and some peanut butter = HEAVEN.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bookmark
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    bump
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat meat? Bang. Protein. Plus a lot of other nutrients we humans evolved to need. Why go to all the trouble of compensating for not eating meat? It seems like a vegetarian diet is way more trouble than it's worth. Humans aren't natural herbivores. That's just biology. :drinker:

She's vegetarian. She never disclosed her reasoning. Same as you ask her why not eat meat, why don't you stop eating meat?

Why defy eons of evolution? Why micromanage nutrition to compensate for the lack of meat? When you eat meat as part of a varied diet, you don't really have to overthink nutrition. You certainly don't have to worry about B12 deficiencies and such.

Lots of people have their reasons for not eating meat. Rape is part of evolution, would you condone people still rape freely just because it's a part of evolution? I would hope not. You don't have to worry much about nutrition as a vegetarian as most vegetarians get plenty of protein, iron and b12 without thinking about it. In fact, many meat eaters are also lacking in iron and b12. Most people with anemia you meet likely aren't vegetarian.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat meat? Bang. Protein. Plus a lot of other nutrients we humans evolved to need. Why go to all the trouble of compensating for not eating meat? It seems like a vegetarian diet is way more trouble than it's worth. Humans aren't natural herbivores. That's just biology. :drinker:

She's vegetarian. She never disclosed her reasoning. Same as you ask her why not eat meat, why don't you stop eating meat?

Why defy eons of evolution? Why micromanage nutrition to compensate for the lack of meat? When you eat meat as part of a varied diet, you don't really have to overthink nutrition. You certainly don't have to worry about B12 deficiencies and such.

Lots of people have their reasons for not eating meat. Rape is part of evolution, would you condone people still rape freely just because it's a part of evolution? I would hope not. You don't have to worry much about nutrition as a vegetarian as most vegetarians get plenty of protein, iron and b12 without thinking about it. In fact, many meat eaters are also lacking in iron and b12. Most people with anemia you meet likely aren't vegetarian.

Rape is part of human evolution? Well, that escalated quickly. :huh:

And if vegetarians didn't have to worry about nutrition…okay what's the whole purpose of this thread, again? :smokin:
  • fouroclock
    fouroclock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I find this thread very helpful (with the exception of some who have have an issue with vegetarians and vegans and have nothing helpful to contribute). VeganLexi, thank you for the extensive list. OP, thank you for starting this thread and thank you to others who offered great suggestions and recipes.
    I am vegan and have regular blood work. No problems ever with B12, iron or any other nutrients.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Supplements or just start eating fish and chicken lol
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Not worth the strike :laugh:
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I find this thread very helpful (with the exception of some who have have an issue with vegetarians and vegans and have nothing helpful to contribute). VeganLexi, thank you for the extensive list. OP, thank you for starting this thread and thank you to others who offered great suggestions and recipes.
    I am vegan and have regular blood work. No problems ever with B12, iron or any other nutrients.

You're welcome! It is unfortunate that we had some ridiculously pointless posts on here but hey.. this is the internet after all :laugh:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Rape is part of human evolution? Well, that escalated quickly. :huh:

And if vegetarians didn't have to worry about nutrition…okay what's the whole purpose of this thread, again? :smokin:

Vegetarian myths. It's a myth that vegetarians don't get enough protein to be healthy. The op may be trying to reach some obscure macro like most people one mfp.
  • Siansonea
    Options

You're welcome! It is unfortunate that we had some ridiculously pointless posts on here but hey.. this is the internet after all :laugh:

Yeah, it's the Internet, where people can disagree with you, whether you like it or not. But you just keep feeling superior, sweet cheeks. :drinker:
  • VeganLexi
    Options

Yeah, it's the Internet, where people can disagree with you, whether you like it or not. But you just keep feeling superior, sweet cheeks. :drinker:

You're 44...isn't it about time you grew up? :noway: I seriously had to double check your age...Jesus Christ :laugh:
  • Siansonea
    Options

You're 44...isn't it about time you grew up? :noway: I seriously had to double check your age...Jesus Christ :laugh:

This cracks me up. Literally the only comeback I ever get from you little princesses is "you're old, Oldie Oldington!" Thanks for the update, buttercup. Yeah, I'm an old hag, one foot in the grave, etc., etc. And I wouldn't be your age again on a bet. Being old is awesome, because you reach a point where people's attempted jabs are amusing rather than hurtful. And honey, you are QUITE amusing, so keep 'em coming. That is, if you can think of something besides "zomg ur old lol". :drinker:

Truth be told, you're never too old to be a c___ to smug twits on the Internet. It can be quite invigorating to one's decaying body. Maybe you'll learn that yourself, in 12 years when you reach the antediluvian age of 44. Until then, you just keep staking out that moral high ground of Not Eating Animals. :laugh:
  • VeganLexi
    Options

This cracks me up. Literally the only comeback I ever get from you little princesses is "you're old, Oldie Oldington!" Thanks for the update, buttercup. Yeah, I'm an old hag, one foot in the grave, etc., etc. And I wouldn't be your age again on a bet. Being old is awesome, because you reach a point where people's attempted jabs are amusing rather than hurtful. And honey, you are QUITE amusing, so keep 'em coming. That is, if you can think of something besides "zomg ur old lol". :drinker:

Truth be told, you're never too old to be a c___ to smug twits on the Internet. It can be quite invigorating to one's decaying body. Maybe you'll learn that yourself, in 12 years when you reach the antediluvian age of 44. Until then, you just keep staking out that moral high ground of Not Eating Animals. :laugh:

You have the wrong end of the stick (unsurprisingly), it wasn't a "jab" at your age, I'm just surprised by your immaturity, that's all :smile: