At the risk of offending vegetarians....

....why the F**K would you make your food look like meat?

Vegetarian bacon, chops, mince, sausages, burgers, kievs, Hot dogs.....WHY??????

We carnivores don't make veg shaped meat products.....

Replies

• griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    This should be interesting....

In for answers.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    That's a good question.

It's a social/psychology thing, I suspect.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Jim Gaffigan already addressed this
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Carnivores are never creepy

tumblr_lb4a446QOn1qcbo9lo1_400.jpg

Meat+hand+2.jpg
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Jim Gaffigan already addressed this

He's as funny as cancer.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    I had this conversation recently. I think the Quorn stuff looks like meat to please the newer veggies, rather than the well practiced ones. It's a good substitute to ween new vegetarians off of meat products and onto more 'true' veggie foods. Veggies do not need this processed stuff on a daily basis.

Us carnivores have some pretty awesome foods, no reason the veggies can't have an equivalent/substitute!

...I know nothing btw, just my opinion.
  • But if not meat shapes what shapes would they be? Would every vegetarian product be shaped like broccoli?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    what does it really matter?

it's not like anyone's trying to trick you into eating fake meat, right?
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    it's not like anyone's trying to trick you into eating fake meat, right?

Dude, do you not have a mother?

My mom tried to trick me into all kinds of "healthy" stuff. :cry:
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    ham_meat_head_halloween.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    ....why the F**K would you make your food look like meat?

Vegetarian bacon, chops, mince, sausages, burgers, kievs, Hot dogs.....WHY??????

We carnivores don't make veg shaped meat products.....

Well, some vegetarians are veg because they feel bad eating animals and not because they don't enjoy the taste of meat. So it's nice for them that they can knid of have both, although the fake meats rarely taste just like the real thing. It's still nice to have sometimes.
  • trubs182
    trubs182 Posts: 146 Member
    10953_Linda-McCartney-fish-free-prawns.jpg

These just make me smile.

I actually really like standard quorn fillets/pieces in their own right - they sure as heck don't taste or feel anything like chicken.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    As a former vegetarian...the key to offending them is to open your mouth and have sound come out. They will take it personally.

Also, hypocrisy seems to be the primary reason for meat shaped non-meat. But I'm not bitter about my own stupidity. I'm FINE.
  • ReNewYou
    ReNewYou Posts: 49
    I had this conversation recently. I think the Quorn stuff looks like meat to please the newer veggies, rather than the well practiced ones. It's a good substitute to ween new vegetarians off of meat products and onto more 'true' veggie foods. Veggies do not need this processed stuff on a daily basis.
    ^^This
    When I first went to vegetarian the fake meat help make the transition a great deal easier. Now that I have been at it for almost a year I no longer eat that fake meat. I did some research on it and it is worse for you then real meat. Now I really enjoy the veggie based foods. But it is all a matter of personal opinion and ye=our own reason to go vegetarian.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    I like to shape my meat to look like the animal that I'm eating. No denial.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    As a former vegetarian...the key to offending them is to open your mouth and have sound come out. They will take it personally.

LOL

QFT
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Also, hypocrisy seems to be the primary reason for meat shaped non-meat. But I'm not bitter about my own stupidity. I'm FINE.
    Seriously?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    I admit I find this weird, too. But I think it's more to do with how other people perceive what they're eating.

Like, you can't tell the difference between a quorn sausage and a real sausage unless you're eating it... maybe it comes from a desire to not feel like an outcast.

Although I don't know any health benefits to not eating meat, nor do I see any environmental benefits if you're eating organic free-range meat products, so I don't know why anyone would choose not to.

Fair enough that animals get slaughtered and that's not so nice, but... meh? animals die horrible violent deaths all the time. At least our version of slaughter is "humane" in comparison.
  • I've been vegetarian since age 9 and eat quorn all the time - I like the taste, I just don't like eating animals. Simple!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    For people that can not eat meat for medical reasons not ethical.
This discussion has been closed.