Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I do have to have some blood work done at some point since I'm four months past due for my thyroid blood draw - I wonder if they're testing everyone's blood who gets a draw.

Without your knowledge or consent??

Very unlikely.

I've had lab samples undergo additional testing that I did not consent to, nor even have knowledge of. I don't think it's at all unlikely that the lab does whatever it wants with the leftovers of your sample, after testing whatever it was sent for. Be thankful if you don't get a bill for it...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I heard the mayor in Memphis finally signed the order requiring masks. Co-workers talking about it and they are mostly upset... vowing to never go down to Memphis again, then adding that they never really liked or went to Memphis anyway. This reminds me of what I hear when a neighboring state just starts requiring helmets for motorcycles.

Yep, sounds like Tennessee to me any more. Geez... All the mouth-running, complaining, bravado, and bluster. You want to open up, but as soon as you hear you actually have to DO SOMETHING to keep that up, all hades breaks loose. They're being ridiculous, but they have no leaders or role models or PSAs to follow that are towing the line hard enough. I'm seriously disappointed with my folk here. :unamused: But is that just a TN thing these days? Or are others like that? My sister lives in Houston, and she's been pretty exasperated with what they've done there.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    This article says 89% of the US population has worn a mask when leaving home in the last week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/89percent-of-americans-wear-masks-in-public-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-persists-poll/ar-BB15YDVk?ocid=ientp

Not in my 'hood.

Not in mine either. EVER.
    Apparently the Americans they asked are either super conscientious or are pathological liars. Whichever it's def NOT a representative sample of real folks.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    This article says 89% of the US population has worn a mask when leaving home in the last week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/89percent-of-americans-wear-masks-in-public-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-persists-poll/ar-BB15YDVk?ocid=ientp

Not in my 'hood.

Not in mine either. EVER.
    Apparently the Americans they asked are either super conscientious or are pathological liars. Whichever it's def NOT a representative sample of real folks.

Maybe they did... at least once over the past week?

Here in my neck of the woods it's compulsory, though admittedly, my state is not super large (less than 2% of the total population of the US).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    ElioraFR wrote: »

Not in my 'hood.

how could they possibly know that?

lol - it's MSN, that's an agenda-driven news story.

Back to the "being tested for antibodies..." Paperpudding, in the US blood is used for all kinds of testing without consent.

As far as T1D and his suggestion that more people should be tested - yes. But.

If reinfection and/or asymptomatic infection is possible, what's the point in testing everyone? There's no way to *actually* do comprehensive contact testing. Sure, they could catch some cases which I guess is better than none.

Then if reinfection is possible like they say, again what's the point? we just all need to be as careful as we can while science catches up.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I heard the mayor in Memphis finally signed the order requiring masks. Co-workers talking about it and they are mostly upset... vowing to never go down to Memphis again, then adding that they never really liked or went to Memphis anyway. This reminds me of what I hear when a neighboring state just starts requiring helmets for motorcycles.

Yep, sounds like Tennessee to me any more. Geez... All the mouth-running, complaining, bravado, and bluster. You want to open up, but as soon as you hear you actually have to DO SOMETHING to keep that up, all hades breaks loose. They're being ridiculous, but they have no leaders or role models or PSAs to follow that are towing the line hard enough. I'm seriously disappointed with my folk here. :unamused: But is that just a TN thing these days? Or are others like that? My sister lives in Houston, and she's been pretty exasperated with what they've done there.

Yes, frustrating. Such a simple thing can make a huge difference and yet people refuse simply because they don't like it and figure it doesn't hurt them. Some of us are at higher risk if we get infected, though they don't consider that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited June 2020
    Options

Not in my 'hood.

Back to the "being tested for antibodies..." Paperpudding, in the US blood is used for all kinds of testing without consent.

If reinfection and/or asymptomatic infection is possible, what's the point in testing everyone? There's no way to *actually* do comprehensive contact testing. Sure, they could catch some cases which I guess is better than none.

Then if reinfection is possible like they say, again what's the point? we just all need to be as careful as we can while science catches up.

That's what I'm saying. If someone doesn't know they are infected, they spread it around. If everyone is tested, those same people can stay home and not spread it.

ETA: Nothing to do with contact tracing.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ...for antibodies...

I doubt it, but would be neat if they did. I'd like to know if I have antibodies.

Just got a note from the Red Cross for a blood donation. They do test for antibodies in my area.

I expect they can sell blood with antibodies for more money covers the antibodies testing fee in the USA.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    I do have to have some blood work done at some point since I'm four months past due for my thyroid blood draw - I wonder if they're testing everyone's blood who gets a draw.

Very unlikely.

I've had lab samples undergo additional testing that I did not consent to, nor even have knowledge of. I don't think it's at all unlikely that the lab does whatever it wants with the leftovers of your sample, after testing whatever it was sent for. Be thankful if you don't get a bill for it...

well, bill paying doesnt come into it for me because blood tests are no cost to patient here.

Sometimes a doctor adds a test to the form after it has been signed by the patient and gone to the lab - I work in a medical centre and sometimes the lab will ring and say xyz test showed really high/low levels of this, would Dr want us to go on and test for abc relevant addition

But not just randomly added things done by the lab without approval.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Not in my 'hood.

That's what I'm saying. If someone doesn't know they are infected, they spread it around. If everyone is tested, those same people can stay home and not spread it.

I'm not making my point very well.

I don't think there will be 100% Required Testing. There aren't enough resources, the testing is too ambivalent, and people (like me) won't go for it.

So.

If someone does test positive, they and everyone who is in their household quarantine for 14 days.

Not everyone in the house will get the virus - or they won't all test positive. Then in 15 days they go out. One of them gets it at the gas station. They don't go get tested because they're asymptomatic and/or they just came out of quarantine and maybe aren't willing to do that again. Unless they DO get tested right then, on Day 15 because they magically "know" they've caught it, they're spreading it.

So, are you suggesting that every person get tested every two weeks?

And what about all those who had it in, say, March and April? We don't know whether they can or cannot get it again.

So every person in every country will need a weekly or bi-weekly test. That's never going to happen.

We are going to have to live with the flawed system we have.

Everyone would need a test every 2-4 weeks. If a positive result, self-quarantine until testing negative... even if no symptoms. If symptoms, you self-quarantine anyway. This decreases asymptomatic spread.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options

Very unlikely.

well, bill paying doesnt come into it for me because blood tests are no cost to patient here.

Sometimes a doctor adds a test to the form after it has been signed by the patient and gone to the lab - I work in a medical centre and sometimes the lab will ring and say xyz test showed really high/low levels of this, would Dr want us to go on and test for abc relevant addition

What country are you in?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I regularly visit two groceries, one near my house, one farther away but with better prices. The close one doesn't require masks any longer, the other still does. AFAIK, they are still required by the Governor's orders. We went out to dinner for the first time in 3 months yesterday. The diners were well spread out and all the waiters wore masks. Only two couples (including us) wore them as we entered the restaurant. Both couples were older, which probably made us more careful. We went to a furniture store today. We wore masks. None of the few other customers wore a mask and we heard one of the salesmen say that they didn't require that customers wear them. OTOH, the small hardware store we stopped at had a sign saying, "No mask, no service." So it really varies. The fact that our county has had a decline in cases and no deaths in about a week may be making people less cautious.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Not in my 'hood.

I'm not making my point very well.

I don't think there will be 100% Required Testing. There aren't enough resources, the testing is too ambivalent, and people (like me) won't go for it.

So.

If someone does test positive, they and everyone who is in their household quarantine for 14 days.

Not everyone in the house will get the virus - or they won't all test positive. Then in 15 days they go out. One of them gets it at the gas station. They don't go get tested because they're asymptomatic and/or they just came out of quarantine and maybe aren't willing to do that again. Unless they DO get tested right then, on Day 15 because they magically "know" they've caught it, they're spreading it.

So, are you suggesting that every person get tested every two weeks?

And what about all those who had it in, say, March and April? We don't know whether they can or cannot get it again.

So every person in every country will need a weekly or bi-weekly test. That's never going to happen.

We are going to have to live with the flawed system we have.

Everyone would need a test every 2-4 weeks. If a positive result, self-quarantine until testing negative... even if no symptoms. If symptoms, you self-quarantine anyway. This decreases asymptomatic spread.

Well, yeah. Who's gonna pay for this? How many health care workers would you need to train to test the entire population twice a month PLUS run those labs.

Not feasible.

There are many ways to pay for it, though the answers become political at that point.

Training to collect sample is the easy part. Running the labs is more difficult. Alternatively, could develop / set up a test where people take it themselves and drop off. Development of better testing methods would help further. For example, maybe people can be sent a 3 month supply of tubes with lids to spit into (if a spit test can be developed) and then drop them off or ship via overnight delivery.

Either way, since half of cases are coming from people who don't even know they are spreading it, there is a huge opportunity. I'm not saying all of those cases would be eliminated, but a robust system could reduce that transmission substantially. Even if you cut that in half (50% of 50%), that cuts by 25%. With around 30K new cases daily, that would be around 7.5K fewer cases.

We should absolutely still do better at wearing masks, social distancing, not gathering unless needed, and washing our hands like our lives depend on it, and self-quarantine if symptomatic. This is an additional way to prevent spread without symptoms now that we know this is such a huge problem.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options

Very unlikely.

What country are you in?

Australia.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Keep in mind the R0 must be below 1.0 for long enough for the virus to die out.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/26/which-part-of-the-u-s-leads-the-country-in-mask-wearing/

Not only do I live in TN, but I live in an area with lower mask use than average even in this state (I believe) because cities have a higher rate... notice where we are on the graph.

hc70rg6fx7rr.jpg