Coronavirus prep

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I did a little research and found this from a Representative's page (my emphasis):

"Each member of Congress is given a limited number of tickets to distribute to constituents. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ticket distribution process is still being assessed. If you are interested in requesting your ticket(s), please complete the form below. You must be a resident of California's 7th Congressional District to apply and receive tickets through Congressman Ami Bera's office.

PLEASE NOTE: Completing this interest form does not guarantee you will receive inauguration tickets. Once more guidance on the 2021 inauguration is provided to Congressional offices, we will send additional details on how to apply for tickets to those who completed the below interest form."

So, in effect, nothing is set in stone at all. I would imagine having no guests in close quarters if the virus isn't rather significantly contained before Jan. 20.

As far as I know, this is the only way for the average person to get tickets, so if a member of Congress decided to opt out and not offer any opportunity to tickets to their constituents, that could be perceived as unfair too. It's an unusual situation and it's not like there is a template for how to handle stuff like this.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    My congressman just posted on Facebook that there's a lottery opening soon for tickets to the Inauguration in January...so I'm supposed to give up the holidays with family (who very well might not be here next year) and "stay home" but miraculously by Jan 21st all will be well to have a large scale gathering? And we wonder why people find Covid so political and polarizing right now - because apparently if you are on the correct end of the spectrum Covid will miraculously not infect you. If it's as bad as "they" are making it out to be currently the Inauguration should be televised/streamed only. Then I'll be more likely to believe that this the correct course of action - but if we can get tons of people together (even if it's outside and masked) for this then other activities with social distancing should be allowed (such as more than 50 people at a football game).

Give me a break.

1) Isn't the Inauguration typically outdoors? That is, in a category of event that is currently thought to be lower risk than different households gathering indoors, especially when masks are worn?
    2) Is the Congressman who made the posting on Facebook also advocating that you not gather for the holidays?

The reason this is "so political and polarizing" is that you're making it that way. If you think the Inauguration is high risk, don't go (I wouldn't go myself). But the fact that the Inauguration is happening doesn't make it magically safe to gather different households together indoors for Thanksgiving.

Yes it is outdoors but that doesn't miraculously make it "safe" to get in a large crowd. This same Congressman has said that we should avoid gathering for the holidays, that pro-Trump rallies, protests, or gatherings are bad (but unsurprisingly given his political party did not say the same for the Biden winning gatherings the prior weekend) and has said that we should be listening to the "experts" - and aren't they all saying that even outside we should be social distancing? I'd think that they would not be advocating for a large scale gathering in that case.

Hypocrisy they name is politics.

Plus with how much this board seems to be in favor of abiding by any and all guidelines and restrictions I'd have thought there would be more support against the idea of this gathering.

@kushiel1 I totally agree with you that rules and standards this year are not consistent across the board, and in the process that makes me very distrustful of those making the decisions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think my work just made a mistake. In order to strongly discourage employees from either traveling out of state or having visitors from out of state for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they are requiring 14 days of quarantine if you travel or have out of state visitors...that's actually nothing new...the new wrinkle is that instead of teleworking for those 2 weeks as has been done previously, you are now required to use your annual leave and get written permission from on high to either travel or have someone out of state travel to you.

For the most part, from what I've heard around the water cooler and break room is that most people aren't planning on anything big...but so and so's kid will be visiting from Texas or so and so's husband's mom will be visiting from Arizona, etc...but by and large people don't seem to be planning large get togethers.

The punitive nature of this new mandate is already causing problems, and it's only Monday afternoon. I'm in management and I'm already getting things like, "my husband doesn't care if I have permission or not, he told me that he's not your employee and his mom will be visiting from Texas for Christmas." We also have a lot of employees with grown children who live out of state and while not planning a big tadoo for the holidays, they will be visiting back home. One of those people is our primary IT guy and he's basically said, "fine...I'll use my annual leave, but don't bother calling, because my phone and email will be off if I'm on a forced vacation." Another employee is upset because his sister lives in state, but works in southern Colorado so she commutes out of state daily and as such is considered to be an "out of state" visitor.

The bigger issue I think is that you're going to basically have a lot of people just lying about it and saying they aren't traveling or hosting out of state visitors when they really are and thus avoiding any quarantine period whatsoever, when in the past they would have complied with the quarantine period and just teleworked. On the other side, you're going to have people comply...and fully comply in that since they are on annual leave, they will not be available and responding to emails or phone calls.

We also have some new questions on our form that we fill out daily whether we are teleworking or coming to the office. Any yes answer on the form requires the employee to get a covid test and self quarantine for 14 days (can telework if their work can be done by that means)...the two added questions are do you have a runny nose or diarrhea? Fall allergies here are pretty common and just about everyone has a runny nose in the fall...that question alone just put about 70% of our workforce into quarantine starting today. I'm also hearing some chatter of people possibly using this as a work around for having to quarantine for 14 days using vacation time for having out of state visitors in that they see it as a responsible thing to quarantine...but instead of saying it's for visitors, they'll just say they have a runny nose so they can still work at home while responsibly quarantining.

I think the higher ups made a bigger mess of all of this than it already was...I'm hoping they might walk back some of it.

I am constantly shocked about how people/companies/government don't always foresee the potential unintended responses they trigger with their edicts.

Yeah...I talked with my boss yesterday about this as I have more interaction with the rank and file and told him that we went from having a pretty compliant workforce with overall positive morale to a defiant workforce with about zero morale overnight. We already had pretty strict requirements in place...but making people who can otherwise work at home in quarantine use their leave pissed everyone off.

All around, just such a bad idea.

In Massachusetts, our Governor instituted a new stricter policy that causes one to question their judgement. He went from masks outside if cannot maintain 6 ft, to masks outside no matter what even if no one is in sight. So, where I live, land lots are 1 acre minimum with tracts of woods interspersed. When I go out walking, even if I see someone, it is very easy to remain a distance of 20 feet away. In that setting it makes no sense, and there are towns even more rural than mine. When one rule is not logically defined and makes no sense, it brings one to also question the well defined rules. Do note that I am not critiquing mask use, I am critiquing requiring them illogically and thus potentially decreasing compliance in all the important scenarios.

One person critiquing Governor Bakers new mask edict compared it to instructing people to wear a condom when alone so that they will remember to wear one when having sex. (I actually toned down the comparison slightly.)

I've long been hearing from people who frequent touristy areas like the Plymouth waterfront that people have not been wearing masks outdoors when within 6', and police had not been enforcing it. While this new rule does make enforcement much easier, I agree with you that this new strict policy seems ill advised for the reasons you mentioned.

(Nice metaphor ;) )
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    My congressman just posted on Facebook that there's a lottery opening soon for tickets to the Inauguration in January...so I'm supposed to give up the holidays with family (who very well might not be here next year) and "stay home" but miraculously by Jan 21st all will be well to have a large scale gathering? And we wonder why people find Covid so political and polarizing right now - because apparently if you are on the correct end of the spectrum Covid will miraculously not infect you. If it's as bad as "they" are making it out to be currently the Inauguration should be televised/streamed only. Then I'll be more likely to believe that this the correct course of action - but if we can get tons of people together (even if it's outside and masked) for this then other activities with social distancing should be allowed (such as more than 50 people at a football game).

Give me a break.

I don't know how inaugurations normally work, but watching on TV it's always looked like: if you want to be there, you just go. Full stop.

Having a lottery sort of implies there will be a limit to the number of in-person attendees. Much like how the state of Minnesota was willing to host the president's rallies, but only if there were no more 250 present.

I guess I don't see the issue.

His post says historically that each Congressional office gets a limited number of tickets which he will be offering in a lottery...so at least as of now that appear to be how it's been done in the past and no Covid related changes have been implemented so far at least. My point is though that if Covid is so bad and we all need to stay away from each other as much as possible (to the degree that you shouldn't even walk within 6ft of someone outside without a mask) then hosting a large scale event even if it's outside is problematic at best. There is no way that a vaccine will be ready and widely given by then so the responsible thing to do is to not host the event other than streaming/tv other than those who have to be present to do the swearing in. Either gatherings are acceptable or they are not regardless of the reasoning (even outside large scale gatherings are prohibited in my area).

Another issue is that currently, for almost every single state because surges are occurring nationwide, you are required to quarantine for 14 days if you come to D.C., albeit enforcement is probably mostly on the honor system. Members of Congress are exempt, but there's no exemption at this point for people wanting to travel to D.C. for an event like inauguration. So if they hold it, most people in the ticketed audience would legally be required to come on Jan. 6 and quarantine until the inauguration (but stay away from the ones from neighboring Virginia and Maryland, because they're exempt from the quarantine requirement).
  • SModa61
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think my work just made a mistake. In order to strongly discourage employees from either traveling out of state or having visitors from out of state for Thanksgiving or Christmas, they are requiring 14 days of quarantine if you travel or have out of state visitors...that's actually nothing new...the new wrinkle is that instead of teleworking for those 2 weeks as has been done previously, you are now required to use your annual leave and get written permission from on high to either travel or have someone out of state travel to you.

For the most part, from what I've heard around the water cooler and break room is that most people aren't planning on anything big...but so and so's kid will be visiting from Texas or so and so's husband's mom will be visiting from Arizona, etc...but by and large people don't seem to be planning large get togethers.

The punitive nature of this new mandate is already causing problems, and it's only Monday afternoon. I'm in management and I'm already getting things like, "my husband doesn't care if I have permission or not, he told me that he's not your employee and his mom will be visiting from Texas for Christmas." We also have a lot of employees with grown children who live out of state and while not planning a big tadoo for the holidays, they will be visiting back home. One of those people is our primary IT guy and he's basically said, "fine...I'll use my annual leave, but don't bother calling, because my phone and email will be off if I'm on a forced vacation." Another employee is upset because his sister lives in state, but works in southern Colorado so she commutes out of state daily and as such is considered to be an "out of state" visitor.

The bigger issue I think is that you're going to basically have a lot of people just lying about it and saying they aren't traveling or hosting out of state visitors when they really are and thus avoiding any quarantine period whatsoever, when in the past they would have complied with the quarantine period and just teleworked. On the other side, you're going to have people comply...and fully comply in that since they are on annual leave, they will not be available and responding to emails or phone calls.

We also have some new questions on our form that we fill out daily whether we are teleworking or coming to the office. Any yes answer on the form requires the employee to get a covid test and self quarantine for 14 days (can telework if their work can be done by that means)...the two added questions are do you have a runny nose or diarrhea? Fall allergies here are pretty common and just about everyone has a runny nose in the fall...that question alone just put about 70% of our workforce into quarantine starting today. I'm also hearing some chatter of people possibly using this as a work around for having to quarantine for 14 days using vacation time for having out of state visitors in that they see it as a responsible thing to quarantine...but instead of saying it's for visitors, they'll just say they have a runny nose so they can still work at home while responsibly quarantining.

I think the higher ups made a bigger mess of all of this than it already was...I'm hoping they might walk back some of it.

I am constantly shocked about how people/companies/government don't always foresee the potential unintended responses they trigger with their edicts.

Yeah...I talked with my boss yesterday about this as I have more interaction with the rank and file and told him that we went from having a pretty compliant workforce with overall positive morale to a defiant workforce with about zero morale overnight. We already had pretty strict requirements in place...but making people who can otherwise work at home in quarantine use their leave pissed everyone off.

In Massachusetts, our Governor instituted a new stricter policy that causes one to question their judgement. He went from masks outside if cannot maintain 6 ft, to masks outside no matter what even if no one is in sight. So, where I live, land lots are 1 acre minimum with tracts of woods interspersed. When I go out walking, even if I see someone, it is very easy to remain a distance of 20 feet away. In that setting it makes no sense, and there are towns even more rural than mine. When one rule is not logically defined and makes no sense, it brings one to also question the well defined rules. Do note that I am not critiquing mask use, I am critiquing requiring them illogically and thus potentially decreasing compliance in all the important scenarios.

One person critiquing Governor Bakers new mask edict compared it to instructing people to wear a condom when alone so that they will remember to wear one when having sex. (I actually toned down the comparison slightly.)

I've long been hearing from people who frequent touristy areas like the Plymouth waterfront that people have not been wearing masks outdoors when within 6', and police had not been enforcing it. While this new rule does make enforcement much easier, I agree with you that this new strict policy seems ill advised for the reasons you mentioned.

(Nice metaphor ;) )

IMO The logical approach is to actually just enforce the laws they have. ie masks if cannot maintain 6' distance. I repeatedly compare laws and such to raising kids. If you tell your kid not to do something "or else" and you don't follow through, then they are going to do what they want. If Plymouth police started randomly handing out nice big fines, I bet compliance would improve. Much more logical solution.

Glad you approved of the metaphor. I cannot claim ownership. The original was a bit less PG.
  • SModa61
    edited November 2020

Give me a break.

1) Isn't the Inauguration typically outdoors? That is, in a category of event that is currently thought to be lower risk than different households gathering indoors, especially when masks are worn?
    2) Is the Congressman who made the posting on Facebook also advocating that you not gather for the holidays?

The reason this is "so political and polarizing" is that you're making it that way. If you think the Inauguration is high risk, don't go (I wouldn't go myself). But the fact that the Inauguration is happening doesn't make it magically safe to gather different households together indoors for Thanksgiving.

Yes it is outdoors but that doesn't miraculously make it "safe" to get in a large crowd. This same Congressman has said that we should avoid gathering for the holidays, that pro-Trump rallies, protests, or gatherings are bad (but unsurprisingly given his political party did not say the same for the Biden winning gatherings the prior weekend) and has said that we should be listening to the "experts" - and aren't they all saying that even outside we should be social distancing? I'd think that they would not be advocating for a large scale gathering in that case.

Hypocrisy they name is politics.

Plus with how much this board seems to be in favor of abiding by any and all guidelines and restrictions I'd have thought there would be more support against the idea of this gathering.

@kushiel1 I totally agree with you that rules and standards this year are not consistent across the board, and in the process that makes me very distrustful of those making the decisions.

"This year"? What rules and standards in the U.S. are ever "consistent across the board"? Welcome to a federal system of government and the 50 state laboratories of democracy.

Lynn, you got me. Yes, it has been more than this year. I think though that this year it has been highly observable.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

(Nice metaphor ;) )

IMO The logical approach is to actually just enforce the laws they have. ie masks if cannot maintain 6' distance. I repeatedly compare laws and such to raising kids. If you tell your kid not to do something "or else" and you don't follow through, then they are going to do what they want. If Plymouth police started randomly handing out nice big fines, I bet compliance would improve. Much more logical solution.

Glad you approved of the metaphor. I cannot claim ownership. The original was a bit less PG.

It sounds like part of it is just simply a lack of enforcement, but I also am guessing part of it is a lack of ability to enforce. Everyone would just show up to court and say, "How did you measure that distance between me and the other person?" And they would win because how can the police defend that? By eliminating the 6 ft. exemption, you also make it possible to enforce.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Well, son of a biscuit, dh just got a call back from his dr. and he tested positive. :( I think he was as surprised as I was. I'm hoping and praying the viral load he received during exposure was very little. So far, he's had a low grade fever 2 days, and a cough that hasn't been too bad. He started with symptoms last Tuesday night so keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't progress into anything worse.
    So now I'm waiting for a call from my dr. so I can schedule a test.

I think the worse news that dh got was he cannot return to work until after the 25th and he has to have 3 days of being symptom free. He's going completely nutso being home and being with me.

Yes. That's apparently one downside of the virus for some people. Having to spend too much time together. Can't say I really understand it myself, but everyone's different I suppose.