Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We don't have a readout. A tech said it was set at the max, which is 130 degrees in my state, but when I measure it from the sink with a digital thermometer, I get 136.

This is something everyone should check regularly, how hot is it out of the tap. The heater may be off or someone may have fiddled with the setting after a cold shower. I had to do this when I worked in a youth group home, to prevent youths from getting accidentally scalded.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    We don't have a readout. A tech said it was set at the max, which is 130 degrees in my state, but when I measure it from the sink with a digital thermometer, I get 136.

This is something everyone should check regularly, how hot is it out of the tap. The heater may be off or someone may have fiddled with the setting after a cold shower. I had to do this when I worked in a youth group home, to prevent youths from getting accidentally scalded.

This is what I have been thinking about seeing these posts about water temps. I remember years ago a plumber setting our hot water heat to somewhere around 110 F, maybe as much as 114, but definitely well below 120, to avoid scalding, and this was in a household of adults, none of whom were mentally compromised. I had the impression it was either a county code or a professional best practices thing. It wasn't like the homeowner couldn't change it after he left, but there was no wink-wink on his part pointing that out.

My Dad was a pipefitter. Yes, it's a general practice thing to keep people from getting accidentally burned. I keep mine at 140 and you can get scalded if you're not careful.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I confused about all the discussion of water temp. Here are CDC's instructions for washing a mask. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-wash-cloth-face-coverings.html

Remember, when you are cleaning COVID from your hands, it is soap/detergent that matters. No one scalds there hands to remove the virus.

I spray my cloth mask with a disinfectant and then wash. As for hands, alcohol (gel) immediately kills COVID, so some of that before handwashing will be safer.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    I confused about all the discussion of water temp. Here are CDC's instructions for washing a mask. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-wash-cloth-face-coverings.html

Remember, when you are cleaning COVID from your hands, it is soap/detergent that matters. No one scalds there hands to remove the virus.

I spray my cloth mask with a disinfectant and then wash. As for hands, alcohol (gel) immediately kills COVID, so some of that before handwashing will be safer.

I have similarly disinfected my mask by spraying down with rubbing alcohol.
  • SModa61
    Options
    @kshama2001 - Glad you are doing well. We are all shoveled out. There was a decent amount of heavy snow here and lots of smaller branches down throughout the yard, but doing fine. Did you see the Channel 5 Opps?

harvreading.jpg?itok=h3smT0E2

I'll give you three guesses what town I live in. :P
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 - Glad you are doing well. We are all shoveled out. There was a decent amount of heavy snow here and lots of smaller branches down throughout the yard, but doing fine. Did you see the Channel 5 Opps?

That's still a lot of snow even without the extra 0!

Glad you are all shoveled out and presumably with power as you're online :)
  • SModa61
    Options

That's still a lot of snow even without the extra 0!

Glad you are all shoveled out and presumably with power as you're online :)

@kshama2001 I don't think the "0" was the issue at that point in time. I think is was a missing decimal point. Wilmington is next to us so I think we were 2.30". Snow was to the top of my boots so 12" total, maybe?