Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    So, Tennessee is supposedly leading the nation in new Covid cases as a percentage of population. Ugh.

I’m posting because I was reading the local paper and noticed a new phenomenon - people who died of Covid because they were unvaccinated but their families are ashamed to admit it. At least I assume that’s what’s happening. A local pastor died and his fellow pastor said he “was uncomfortable revealing his vaccination status.” Okay - does that mean your church is full of anti-vaxxers and letting them know he was vaccinated would freak them out? Or, much more likely since vaccinated people rarely die, is it that you don’t want people saying, “I told you so?”

The other was a restaurant owner whose adult daughter claimed she “didn’t know her father’s vaccination status.” Well… if my father entered the hospital with Covid I would for sure ask! How could she possibly be telling the truth about this?

It seems to me most likely that both of these articles reveal a new phenomenon, people who don’t want to admit they did something stupid and Darwin’s hammer came down on their heads.

The schadenfreude is pretty potent on social media right now. There is a dedicated subreddit, for example, to posting several excerpts from someone's anti-vax Facebook timeline to a final post announcing their (usually awful and painful) death from COVID. They scrub the identifying components, of course, but someone in your town may figure it out.

Schadenfreude is an amazing word that I just learned of this year, and found it exceeding pertinent to the last 18 months. I even brought the word up to this group a couple months ago when I first learned of it.

I find it hard to comprehend though that people would participate in a subreddit of the sort that you are describing @oocdc2 . It's a sad statement of who we are becoming.