Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

So, are the deer spending lots of time indoors in the vicinity of sick people, or closer than 6 feet outdoors (obviously unmasked, duh) for greater than 15 minutes? I understand how caged minks get infected, but not so much the wild animals.

If I were inclined to believe conspiracy theories, I'd believe the anti-hunting people were spreading propaganda.

It appears that is unlikely, if the meat is considered safe. But this article reminded me that people put deer in "zoos." I know the little free public zoo a few miles from me has deer contained by a chain-link fence, where, yes, they probably do get close enough to humans to catch the disease, and there's no reason wild deer wouldn't approach near enough to catch the disease from the caged animals. So, that explains a reasonable source of transmission to wild deer that would satisfy me.

I'm glad the meat isn't unsafe, in case we need to resort to hunting to feed ourselves in the ongoing apocalypse.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    All you need is one deer to catch it from a human and then spread it to the other deer, not each and every deer to catch it from a human.

Exactly.
    And then it spreads back to the human population from one infected dear.

Either hunting. Or a zoo. Or like we have here, wild deer so utterly unfazed by humans that they are literally everywhere in town.

hjplx6ad8cwu.jpeg
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I checked, and the comment I made after my link is showing up for me. Is it not visible to the rest of you?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    All you need is one deer to catch it from a human and then spread it to the other deer, not each and every deer to catch it from a human.

Exactly.
    And then it spreads back to the human population from one infected dear.

Either hunting. Or a zoo. Or like we have here, wild deer so utterly unfazed by humans that they are literally everywhere in town.

hjplx6ad8cwu.jpeg

I can't speak to research practices in the US but I do know that here the wildlife conservation people are continually catching and tagging animals to study them, which involves direct contact.

There have been zoo animals that have tested positive for the virus, and the general population is generally kept well away from any physical contact with them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Re: animal populations. I have been thinking for some time that populations of feral cats can probably act as a reservoir for covid, since we know cats can get it. There’s apparently “no evidence of transmission to humans” but that mainly means no one has studied it yet. The last thing we need is a panic with people killing all the cats. But it might be good to know if adopting a stray could potentially give you Covid, so they can be tested first.

I also wonder about raccoons. They are very rarely studied for various reasons - they can get rabies and native wildlife laws make it illegal to keep them in captivity in many places - but they live near to humans, and if ever a creature existed which was likely to catch something from a human, they are it. I mean, they eat our trash. So the question is, can they even catch Covid? Do they act as a reservoir for it?
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yes, congrats. An entire page of the CDC saying they haven’t studied this yet. “We haven’t seen any evidence” is not the same as evidence one way or the other.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Does that not mean, till someone produces an animal actually with covid, there will be no "evidence" of them having having covid. A case of a pet having covid should be reported to the statutory authorities by the vet.

So the very next time your pet has been exposed like yourself to a person with full on active covid, watch its behaviours and demeanas for 14 days keeping it in isolation, to see if it develops symptoms, as you would had you been contacted by "track and trace" for yourself, then do a lateral flow test on it. (My cat would hate it but if needs must.) If the pet is positive for covid, contact your vet and ask for help, then ask them to inform your authorities.

I've no idea how you could test an avian pet thought
  • rheddmobile
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Does that not mean, till someone produces an animal actually with covid, there will be no "evidence" of them having having covid. A case of a pet having covid should be reported to the statutory authorities by the vet.

So the very next time your pet has been exposed like yourself to a person with full on active covid, watch its behaviours and demeanas for 14 days keeping it in isolation, to see if it develops symptoms, as you would had you been contacted by "track and trace" for yourself, then do a lateral flow test on it. (My cat would hate it but if needs must.) If the pet is positive for covid, contact your vet and ask for help, then ask them to inform your authorities.

I've no idea how you could test an avian pet thought

There absolutely is evidence that domestic cats and dogs get covid, as well as many types of zoo animals. What the CDC is saying is there’s no evidence of humans catching it from pets. Which, considering that about 65% of cases here have an unknown source, isn’t saying much. Our contact tracing is extremely lacking and we don’t know jack about where cases come from in this country.

BTW cats apparently mostly cough and wheeze for a couple of weeks, in case you do ever wonder about yours.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    There is a veterinary version of the COVID vaccine available that zoos are using to vaccinate some of their animals...mostly cats and primates, since they seem to be vulnerable to COVID.

I don't know if they are available for pets.